Leash for fiberglass paipo/bellyboard?????

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Re: Leash for fiberglass paipo/bellyboard?????

Unread post by Ted »

Well... the HPD does pull a lot less than the Austin. No HPD wipeout has really tugged the arm or challenged the leash.

The "Austin Paipo over the falls" youtube video does feature a biceps leash failure on the 50" that resulted in some nasty dings.

The Austin 44" late takeoff (third wave on Austin 44 vs 50, I think) wipeout had a biceps leash partial failure (slid to wrist, then grabbed just in time).
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

We ride a lot of different boards on this forum and so it is appropriate to caveat our experiences. I have been riding a 50" foam/fiberglass board for 40 yrs and my experience with fling back has more to do with the interaction with the wave more than the flotation volume of the board per se. Along these lines I can attest to some rather tough hold downs of me or the board... even with all of the board's floatability.

That is good to know about beefier coiled leashes on the market these days. About time!

Less and less do I use the leash key pocket as I have migrated to using those Aquapacs which are more flexible overall (keys, cash, license, insurance card...).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

This thread has suggested a couple of different topics - aqua packs and whether paipo riders get different types of injuries.

Regarding the leash question - I'll test it out.

Bob