Duckfeet/DaFin comparison (land-based early impressions)

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Duckfeet/DaFin comparison (land-based early impressions)

Unread post by rodndtube »

From Aquatic Apes, but of interest to wet feet folks (and I don't know how to link just that discussion):

Graeme Webster - Duckfeet/DaFin comparison (land-based early impressions):
http://www.surfmat.org/t314-21st-century-ducks

Here is the Aquatic Apes link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2852561 ... 199692640/
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: Duckfeet/DaFin comparison (land-based early impressions)

Unread post by krusher74 »

In my opinion Duck feet are the worst fins i have ever owned!

duck feet are horribly long, (i did cut a fair few inches off them and get some use out of them)

I much prefer the more "standard" bobyboard company fins

I would choose, mike stewart vipers/toobs blunt cuts/churchills (the list goes on!) over duckfeet. (owned and tried them all)

If you do however like long slow kicks the longer duckfeet may suit you.

http://www.ebodyboarding.com/Swimfins
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

I had the chance to try DaFin swim fins for the first time last week thanks to John Hughes of Cocoa Beach. The fins took some getting used to after using Vipers for several years (and the less frequent use of Hydro Techs in cold water). But, within an hour the fins were working without a thought... earning an "A" in my book. I plan on adding a pair of XL to my cold water quiver when I need to load up on 3mm or more. Probably will buy a pair of L for warm/cool water use as well. Still love my Vipers but the Large DaFins will give me increased flexibility in warm through cool waters. Nice sized foot pocket.

John told me that the rubber formulation in the new DaFins is even nicer than the stiffer rubber in the old formulation fins that I used. Anybody used both formulations in the water?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

i have. like them both. i will tell you now. i have been using my fins now for a little less than a year and the rubber is disintegrating rapidly...this is the 4th pair i've had and its the same thing every time. i am going back to makapuu's.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

The DaFins are disintegrating? The old or new formulation? That is a bummer.

Is it the toxic waste of SoCal waters eating them away <joking>? My buddy in Central Atlantic Florida has not experienced that problem.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd

Unread post by soulglider »

the new. i had old dafins 5 or 6 years ago. they lasted longer. if you didnt pull them on by the strap. if you did, SNAP! i didnt like them then. i have always disliked the way they felt from the factory, i cut the wide tips off, making them look like the kicks. its easy to do and they work great, not that fucky bending right at the foot pocket/blade area. i talked to the dafin folks and they said, the o.g. dafins were designed for swimming and keeping the fins mostly under water, the kicks are adjustments they made to the o.g. ones to make them work better for coming up out of water and then penetrating it again and again while kicking hence....
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado

Unread post by mrmike »

my Dafins are 2year old and I use them almost every day and they still look new. like I said before fin are like shoes not all peoples feet fit the same shoe
skiff
Big Wave Charger
City: Central Coast
State or Province: California

Unread post by skiff »

I've been using DaFins for about five years, and nothing I've ever tried before came even close to the level of comfort and non-crampability of the DaFins. A Hawaiian buddy turned me onto them, saying, 'Mark Cunningham and Brian Keaulana designed 'em, WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED TO KNOW?!' And he's been proved right. I always keep a backup pair just in case something happens to the first pair (no store around here carries them, so i's a 5-7 day UPS delay if they somehow turn up missing...), but they seem to be 'wearing' just fine. The one pair I've been using for over three years look brand new, and I use them pretty frequently. Fins are like shoes, it's been said, and nothing is truer. What fits one guy maybe won't fit the next? But that said, I've yet to meet a guy who's tried DaFins and not been wholly convinced; they seem to be 'that' good.
Attachments
Not a pair of fins per se, but you need a pair to use 'em!
Not a pair of fins per se, but you need a pair to use 'em!
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

[quote="soulglider"]the new. i had old dafins 5 or 6 years ago. they lasted longer. if you didnt pull them on by the strap. if you did, SNAP! i didnt like them then. i have always disliked the way they felt from the factory, i cut the wide tips off, making them look like the kicks. its easy to do and they work great, not that fucky bending right at the foot pocket/blade area. i talked to the dafin folks and they said, the o.g. dafins were designed for swimming and keeping the fins mostly under water, the kicks are adjustments they made to the o.g. ones to make them work better for coming up out of water and then penetrating it again and again while kicking hence....[/quot

Yeah i tried a pair like them , then 3 months later snap!!! useless :cry:
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Based on the comments - I bought a pair. Some feedback -

1) they are like excavators and pick up small rocks & sand while wading out.

2) they seem to require a very different kick action to my churchills. I found I got more propulsion by being further back on the board.

3) they are soft & comfortable.

Bob
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Based on the comments - I bought a pair. Some feedback -

1) they are like excavators and pick up small rocks & sand while wading out.

2) they seem to require a very different kick action to my churchills. I found I got more propulsion by being further back on the board.

3) they are soft & comfortable.

Bob
Are you speaking of the Duck Fins or DaFins?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Re: Vipers V5/DaFin comparison (sea-based impressions)

DaFins and Vipers V5 - Some Observations

DaFins: Wide foot pocket, more power for catching a wave, more drag when extending legs to conform to wave. The DaFins blades tend to be depressed by the wave causing drag--this is not a factor on a open-faced, more powerful wave.

Vipers V5 Yellow Dot: Narrow foot pocket, better cruise kicking for longer paddles, captures energy from the wave when extending legs to conform to the wave. The Vipers remain neutral to the wave and capture the wave's energy--this is beneficial when in a flat section of the wave or when the planning surface benefits from being elongated.
http://mypaipoboards.org/flippers/Viper ... ephoto.jpg
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

Unread post by flojo »

Have had a pair of duckfeet for awhile...good power but a tad uncomfortable and slow to accelerate for my skill level {moderate at best}. Bought a pair of dafins this morning and took out my mat in 3 foot beach break..Dafins were just much easier to use. Caught a lot of waves and quick turn aound take offs were much more successful than with the vipers which take longer to get going. very comfortable and just made the go out much more like fun and less like work--

my 2cents
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Since I have been down in Costa Rica for a week now it is fair to say that DaFins are winning the day. I've only used the Yellow Dot Vipers (5") once, because of a slight blister or attack my a small pebble. As Bob mentioned the DaFins do tend to suck the sand & small stones if you are not careful.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

rodndtube wrote:Since I have been down in Costa Rica for a week now it is fair to say that DaFins are winning the day. I've only used the Yellow Dot Vipers (5") once, because of a slight blister or attack my a small pebble. As Bob mentioned the DaFins do tend to suck the sand & small stones if you are not careful.
Have you given the dafins heal straps any close inspection, mine perished ad snapped,i hope your don't suffer the same fate. :(
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

The straps have been holding up fine. I know of people using stand-up surf booties and stretching them way out, but with wet socks they have been holding up thus far.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Canyon
Wave slider
City: SB
State or Province: CA

Unread post by Canyon »

The new duck feet are amazing. Very soft/comfortable rubber compared to the old formula. I've used mine in 2 foot slop to 12 foot nuking reef breaks on Oahu. After watching Wiamea break this past winter, with all the lifeguards running around with duck feet, I stopped looking for a better fin.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

I just got a pair of duckfeet. I'm a Churchill fan but I liked these fins as much as anything else I've tried. They rubbed a bit around the ankle but otherwise were pretty comfortable and you can get a bit of traction from them.

I bought a pair of DaFins but they haven't had much use. I also have a pair of UDTs that I mostly use for kick training. In short period waves I find them too much work.

Bob
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

I've relied on the same old pair of "Custom" Model Duck Feet for over 25yr, and suffered off-and-on with the toe-knucks blisters and occasional calf-muscle cramps. I have a wide, size 9.5-10 shoe size, and the Duck Feet are Size Large. It always felt that my toes were being crammed into the foot pocket by the heel strap. A few months ago, I bought a pair of DaFins Size Large (9-10) after reading all the hype about the foot comfort they afforded. And, besides, my old DF were starting to show cracks on the fin ribs. The DFs were really very comfortable, but I couldn't seem to get as much thrust as I could from my DFs. Then I changed my kick style from full leg, using mostly quad muscles, to a shorter, flutter kick, using mostly calf muscles. This improved thrust, but still not as much as my old DFs. The lack of thrust with Da Fins was most noticeable on big days, when trying to paddle back outside, and when trying to paddle into larger/faster waves. Felt like I was on a treadmill, and found that arm-paddling was more productive.

So, after further research, I ordered a Size Large pair of Ally ERS4s. They're an asymmetric design, very similar to Churchies, but with better drainage (another thing I didn't like about my Duckies) When they arrived in the mail, I was disappointed to discover that I could only get my wide-ass foot half-way into the foot pocket! Sent them back to Amazon, and went to my local Sports Chalet and picked up a new pair of Duckies. I'd read that Voit had greatly improved the foot comfort of the new Custom Model, and the price at $40 was a good $15-$20 cheaper than the more trendy Vipers, DaFins, Churchies, Hydros, etc. I bought the "Extra Large" size which is Size 9-11, figuring it would accommodate my Barney Ruble feet, and offer a little extra room for socks when it gets colder.

Today, I paddled out at one of my favorite belly board beach breaks. Surf was a weak 3-2, normally wouldn't have bothered, but I was anxious to try the new flips. First off, my new Customs are almost an inch longer than my old Customs. Now the old Customs are Size Large and the new are Size X Large. I wonder if others have noticed an increase in length or if sizing has changed? No problem getting them on and they fit snug, but with plenty of toe room. I noticed the increased thrust (over DaFins) immediately on the paddle out. Less struggling to get into waves, and getting into waves earlier. Back to using full leg kick. Order has been restored to my universe.
Attachments
New Duck Feet Left and Old Duck Feet Right
New Duck Feet Left and Old Duck Feet Right
DuckFeetNew_DuckFeetOld.JPG (102.56 KiB) Viewed 7748 times
Duck Feet Custom Left and Da Fin Right
Duck Feet Custom Left and Da Fin Right
DaFin_DuckFeet02.JPG (97.76 KiB) Viewed 7748 times
Da Fin Left and Duck Feet Right
Da Fin Left and Duck Feet Right
DaFin_DuckFeet01.JPG (52.01 KiB) Viewed 7748 times
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com