Credit where credit is due (rant).

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Poobah
Big Wave Charger
City: Lucerne
State or Province: CA

Re: Credit where credit is due (rant).

Unread post by Poobah »

When I started making my Royal Egyptian Cubit Boards, I reached back several thousand years to give Bobhotep of Buto credit for pioneering that style of board. I made up my own History about how he was a scribe for a small construction company...small tombs that is. He was travelling from Buto to Cairo for some sort of bean counting seminar, and he was wading through some shallow water in the delta, when a rogue wave reared up on him. He leaned away from it, and ended up catching the wave and riding his lap desk sideways across the tributary. Some kids up on a sand dune witnessed the whole thing. The Jinn was out of the bottle. Thus began the era of the cubit board mini paipo.

It was easier than admitting that I don't really know where my ideas come from. It's sort like a soup where I can only really name a few of the ingredients. Or a rope made of tiny bits of gathered string. Roger Wayland was surely a big influence on my sub 2 foot boards. Also the guys at Kailua that eventually produced those little twin fins under the label of The Handboard Company. I'm not really sure how may brain gave the mini paipo an Egyptian twist. Perhaps I should give credit to Gomez Addams.

My cork-decked paipos were surely influenced by reading Paul Jensen on Swaylocks. He used thin layers of cork to build out the rails on his hollow wood surfboards. But it was something wierd in my head that told me to use cork sheets to raise the bouyancy of a plywood paipo. Perhaps I was influenced by the old surfboards that mixed redwood and balsa together. So anyway.... I can't always give credit where credit is due. I just go with the flow, and eat the crazy soup.
Last edited by Poobah on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread post by mrmike »

that as good as any love it
andyk
Forum Grommet
City: lake oswego
State or Province: or

Unread post by andyk »

Hey I need to thank Paipo Jim for my stoke. Hope we sill be in the water again soon. Some of my best times have been in he water with him. :D
SlickWilly
Tube master
City: Melbourne
State or Province: Victoria

Unread post by SlickWilly »

Poobah wrote:When I started making my Royal Egyptian Cubit Boards, I reached back several thousand years to give Bobhotep of Buto credit for pioneering that style of board. I made up my own History about how he was a scribe for a small construction company...small tombs that is. He was travelling from Buto to Cairo for some sort of bean counting seminar, and he was wading through some shallow water in the delta, when a rogue wave reared up on him. He leaned away from it, and ended up catching the wave and riding his lap desk sideways across the tributary. Some kids up on a sand dune witnessed the whole thing. The Jinn was out of the bottle. Thus began the era of the cubit board mini paipo.

It was easier than admitting that I don't really know where my ideas come from. It's sort like a soup where I can only really name a few of the ingredients. Or a rope made of tiny bits of gathered string. Roger Wayland was surely a big influence on my sub 2 foot boards. Also the guys at Kailua that eventually produced those little twin fins under the label of The Handboard Company. I'm not really sure how may brain gave the mini paipo an Egyptian twist. Perhaps I should give credit to Gomez Addams.

My cork-decked paipos were surely influenced by reading Paul Jensen on Swaylocks. He used thin layers of cork to build out the rails on his hollow wood surfboards. But it was something wierd in my head that told me to use cork sheets to raise the bouyancy of a plywood paipo. Perhaps I was influenced by the old surfboards that mixed redwood and balsa together. So anyway.... I can't always give credit where credit is due. I just go with the flow, and eat the crazy soup.
I gotta credit Poobah for my interest in little boards too. Sub 2ft is a niche within a niche within a niche. Its a place that I play in and experiment with all the time. Its a weird netherworld somewhere between bodysurfing and paipo riding that people just don't seem to understand or be interested in. The ability to turbo-charge your bodysurfing, and throw in some cut-backs and bottom turns has changed wave-riding for me forever. I drive around with a pair of viper fins and a 2ft by 15 inch square board in the trunk of my car. I'm yet to find conditions where they don't perform brilliantly!

Respect, Poobah!
"Where there's a will, there's a won't."