Cool downs and leg cramps

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
skiff
Big Wave Charger
City: Central Coast
State or Province: California

Re: Cool downs and leg cramps

Unread post by skiff »

When I first got into this paipo thing, my lifetime kneeboard buddies all said the same thing, 'Get ready for leg cramps'. They reported that even lifelong kneelboarders have issues with cramping, but there are some things they said they work into their routine, and I've done a lot of reading to try to find out some other things. Note that virtually all of this applies to COLD WATER activities only.................you guys lucky enough to surf in warm water probably do not have quite the same issues as we do.

Things to consider:

*Starting the day before I know I'm planning a long day in the water, I begin power-loading bananas to up my potassium levels. I usually eat two the day before, then two the day off, one as I'm leaving the house and another just before I slip into my suit.

*Morning of? No coffee if you can pull it. Coffee makes you want to urinate, and that flushes the good stuff out of your system so I pass on the coffee if I'm heading out.

*Everything I've ever read says that cramping is directly related to dehydration, so I drink as much water as I can before I go out coupled with steady hydration the morning of.

*Nobody thinks a steady diet of Gatorade is good for you, but I might slam one just before my session as a water substitute. Everything in moderation...

*When I get out, I begin drinking lots of water to get re-hydrated.

*When paddling, I go easy but I go steady, trying to only 'burst kick' if I think it's really necessary. The lower volume kicking seems to extend my sessions...

That's about it!
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Cool downs and leg cramps

Unread post by bgreen »

All sensible stuff. For me part of the problem is not surfing, then when I get into the water not wanting to come out. Maybe there is treatment for this.

Bob