November welsh waves

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

November welsh waves

Unread post by krusher74 »

Well this weekend was about as good as wales gets,we had a soolid ground swell which started at 16sec and held 14/12 all through the weekend, we usually get excited if its 9 secs as the usual wind chops is 6/7secs here

I spent Saturday at two local beach breaks which managed solid consistent 4ft, there were a few diamonds in the round , but not super hollow, but as we know you can easily slot in to the odd hollow one in the prone position. Went home happy after two two hours sessions in what is now getting far to cold for my 3/2 wetsuit (13.3c, windy and no sun)

sunday was shaping up to be special, as the wind was swinging from SE to NE, a rare wind in wales. which give us offshore on our many reef breaks. With in now being british winter time first light is 7 am and last light 5pm, low tide happend to be 6.45 am, so that wrote off all out low tide reef, other than for a first light dawny and somthing that would be swamped out with tide my 8.30sih.

But how ever the conditions were looking good for what I think is easily wales best wave, its a fickle beast, surfable from mid to high, but needing as small a tide as we get to work for long, our rang is 9.8 to 13.4M (yes meters!!) and on sunday we had a 10m woooo tiny tide for us. so that cave us a 3 hour window of surf. So we have swell,good wind and tide.

No the net hurdle is its on a military firing range!!! luckly they don't fire most weekends, but i still don't have a pass for the allowed access days!! so its a jump few fences and not get caught mission.

The waves has a few names, one is the pole as its a pole of rock that goes out to sea about 500 yards, and the other Y-bocs which is welsh for the box as it breaks like the wave of the same name in western Australia.

Anyway we hoped skipped and jumped across and paddled out to 6ft with the odd 8ft set, It was my first time out this winter into my 5/4mm winter suit and its was difficult to get used to,I had waxed my board up a mit extra asi had slipped a bit the day before, but over did it, and the winter wetsuit was more grippy than my summer. So I can say I was not firing on all cylinders, I made a few solid wally 6footers,and tried a few 6ft barrels but could not find an exit on any, nose diving when i could not move my body weight fast enough, my final wave was a few seconds in a dark barrel before i took me out and a trip to reef which I dragged my hands across and gotloadsof tiny paper cuts from, this sent me in, all in all a great day but this time the wave won. :o
Attachments
2014-11-16 14.59.57.jpg
2014-11-017.jpg
2014-11-16 14.34.41.jpg
2014-11-16 14.34.07.jpg
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: November welsh waves

Unread post by rodndtube »

Certainly looks larger than 4-6 ft. Nice wave breaking out there, too.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
dr robert
Big Wave Charger
City: cambria
State or Province: california

Unread post by dr robert »

yes , that's 4-6 ft "Hawaiian", meaning they measure from the back of the wave.
(why, I don't know…ever ridden the back of a wave?)
solid stuff anyway you measure it…mainly rights or is it going for the shorter wedge left?
great photos'…I can feel it!
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

The average waves were 4 to 6ft, The big set I captured in the pic I guestimate to be a 10ft set (15/20ft face)

The left is a very short inside out barrel, but as it suddenly hits deep water the barrel exit clamps shut every time, with a thick lip it not one you can bust through the doggy door on :o

Its taken me 20 years living here to surf this wave 4 times, but it is 70 miles away.

Hear is a pic of the main peak from a different day.
Attachments
y-bocs.jpg
y-bocs.jpg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Aloha gang,
Those are beautiful surf. Epic 4'-6'ft.surf and some offshore winds blowing.