Board & Luggage Fees

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Board & Luggage Fees

Unread post by rodndtube »

Moved here from "Austin paipo shared shipping to HI?" at: http://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57

Over the years the board length has been partly a function of a few factors -- paddling ease (height of board should be about to the bottom of the sternum so the knees are not on the tail of the board during paddling) and ease of travel (car trunks, board bags and airlines). Although cutting down to 48 inches might be attractive for various reason I don't think it will be a factor in today's airline travel world. Increasingly the airlines are torching luggage longer than 62 linear inches with various fees (linear inches is defined as LxWxD, and they measure the bag not the board). Do the math... a board would have to be something like 40x19x3 -- not many boogie boards meet that criteria, especially in a bag with swim fins, rash guard, trunks and other stuff (e.g., clothes and towel). With airline check-in clerks now armed with rulers for measuring baggage it is becoming a real nightmare to travel without going broke.

And the rules seem to change daily. Even carry-on baggage rules vary widely by airline making it increasingly difficult to buy and travel with a carry-on/roll-on bag that flexibly meets the different rules:
  • American Airlines: 22x14x9 (max dimensions each) and does not exceed overall dimensions of 45 inches
  • Hawaiian Airlines: 22x14x9 (45 linear inches) plus a weight limit of 25 pounds
  • Southwest Airlines: 24x16x10 inches
Southwest Airlines ("2 bags fly free!") is increasingly becoming more restrictive. For years they allowed 3 free checked bags PLUS a free checked sporting goods item, e.g., a boogie board (often they would allow shortboard bags not loaded down as well). Then in recent years they retreated to 2 free checked bags once of which could be a smaller sporting goods such as a boogie board, knee board. On my recent trip to FL there were no questions on my flight down, but the check-in attendant, sort of puzzled when asking me what was in my board bag, asked me if I had been charged $50 on the flight down. I told her know and she replied something along the lines of wondering because there had been some questions/complaints. That seemed odd. Well, I checked their baggage page a few days ago and now there is a caveat to their baggage policies:
  • "Maximum weight is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $50 per item."
  • "Overweight items from 50 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches (e.g.; surfboards, bicycles, vaulting poles) will be accepted for a charge of $50 per item." Figure out how you can check a surfboard in a bag that is 80 inches or less -- my paipo bag of about 52x21x3 (=76 in), usually closer to 54x22x4 (=80 in), is right at that threshold.
In the Sporting Equipment section, it further states
"Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply."
Included under this subsection is:
  • Boogie or knee board.
The items listed below will be accepted as Checked Baggage for a $50 each way charge, unless otherwise notes.
  • Kayak (other than a sea kayak). Paddle(s) must be secured.
  • Surfboard (keels and fins must be removed and placed in carryon or checked baggage).
  • Wind surfing board, keel removed and placed in checked baggage to prevent damage to the sail, boom, and other baggage.
Some Hawaiian Airlines details:
  • Luggage exceeding 62 linear inches are subject to additional excess size charges.
  • Luggage exceeding 70 lbs and/or 80 linear inches will not be accepted.
Using their search function this page shows up:

Baggage - Miscellaneous Sports Equipment
The following are special items or types of items that will be accepted as baggage by specified carriers subject to the conditions shown. Charges prescribed in this rule are applicable from the point at which the item is accepted to the point to which the item is transported.

Special items which may or may not be identified below but which may be packed in a standard suitcase and checked in as baggage will be exempt from the charges identified below. Special items or types of items will be limited to a *weight of 50lbs.*, unless otherwise stated.

Sports equipment items listed below will be accepted by Hawaiian Air subject to the conditions of acceptance and/or prescribed charges.
  • Boogie/Skim Boards (Sand Board): Boogie boards and Skim Boards will be accepted as checked baggage. Normal baggage fees apply. When in excess, each item of Boogie board or Skim board will be subject to the excess baggage charge for a single piece.

Is it time for a well-designed bisect paipo? No, it is time for the airlines to get real.

I am moving towards having more boards built and "parking" them at common surf destinations wherever that is possible.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Re: Board & Luggage Fees

Unread post by Ted »

Rod,

The 44 by 20.5 by 2 inch Austin will definitely not meet the 62 inch restriction, but I am hopeful that I can pass off my paipo as a bodyboard.
I've had good luck with my eBodyboarding bag on Hawaiian airlines traveling interisland and to the mainland. Hawaiian has [had?] much more lenient rules for flights between Hawaii and Samoa - I took a surfboard bag and a bodyboard bag for free the last two times.

Ironically, the Samoan interisland carrier tried to ding me for my overweight 25 pound carry-on (2 pair swimfins, wetsuit, camera gear) while other passengers easily outweighed me by 200 pounds. (Now I wear as much as possible to shift weight from my bag to my person.)
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Board & Luggage Fees

Unread post by rodndtube »

Isn't that the truth, Ted! I will wear my full body 6/4 the next time I travel to N. Oregon!!!

You are spot on about these new challenges. A lot of times I pack one pair of swim fins in my checked luggage back along with much of my other surf gear and also carry a pair of swim fins in the carry-on bag, along with a small camera, skegs, and other gear. Gotta manage the bags carefully when traveling to places where it may not be easy, or even available, to pick up swim fins, skegs, wax, SPF, contact lens supplies... I'll never forget the early Sunday morning session at Big Rock on my getaway day when the wave's fur ball sucked a fin off my foot. Nothing was open on Sunday morning and my flight was at 11am. Since then fin tethers are worn religiously!

Bottom line is that I usually try to keep my board bag light enough that it surprises the check-in attendant and they think, yeah, boogie board!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.