Speed

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Speed

Unread post by rodndtube »

In the spirit of not mucking up the "Free" thread over in the Paipo Board Design & Building forum, and in the spirit of spirited discussion, "speed" should be in its own thread. To borrow a term, tangentiation was happening ;)
http://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=676

IMHO, speed is NOT everything. Not always. No doubt many of us enjoy the sense of speed. But, I believe positioning, and the board's ability to position, can be just as important, if not as important. Ditto for turning with effect. Those two aspects might be related and both can result in increased tactical speed.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Re: Speed

Unread post by Nels »

I always figured "enough speed" was the goal.

No point to go vastly faster than the wave...unless it's all about you and not about you and the wave or the wave. Which is fine if it is, fine if it isn't. You just need enough speed to do what you want, make the sections, make the wave, make the drop.

But then I tend to simplify things when I can...

Nels
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I'm 'guilty' of enjoying of going fast and out-running sections. For me it depends on the board I'm riding, the waves and what phase I'm going through. It's a bonzer phase at present.

I come from an area with long lined point waves. When I head down to Kovar country it's rock shelves and pockets.

Sometimes just going fast is the simplest, purest line, not trying to carve but just planning. There is no reason at all we should seek the same things from surfing.

I just came across this - a very long board but some fun lines.

http://www.coastalwatch.com/videos/1697 ... an-the-sea
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

Well I've always said that I want to fast down the line not so much into making radical turns. I've caught a couple waves where I was going too fast for my own good. That was on a wave from the gathering in October that I got on Soulgliders board. I think your right Nels having enough speed to do what you want on a wave and or you ability to control that speed is key. No sense in out running a wave if you can't get yourself back to the power source.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

i dont like to do cutbacks on prone boards. i want up down, up down barrel barrel barrel coming out and then up down up down and if the wave is good enough barrel barrel barrel...
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

The sense of speed is enhanced on a prone board because you're field of vision is so close to the water. Speed is a big part of prone riding for me, and speed on the edge of control (or the edge of losing control), while thrilling, isn't the only thrill offered by prone-riding.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I would say for me the speed of a board is relative to what wave I am surfing

The more speed your board can generate in slow flat waves the better, to either keep up with the wave/stay on it, or to move around on its surfable area

In fast hollow wave all I need is a board that can keep up :D