Plywood paipo video

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Plywood paipo video

Unread post by zensuni »

Hi there,
Here is a POV video of my new plywood paipo in action:
https://youtu.be/MAid5e9Dw5k
and the slow motion version of the first wave: https://youtu.be/ipyeiJJWV50
Here is the board:
paipo.jpg
So far I am quite happy with this design. It is very easy to catch waves with, and it is easier to control than my HPD paipo.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Plywood paipo video

Unread post by rodndtube »

Nice clean conditions!

So, tell us how the board is different from your HPD paipo (especially since there are so many different HPD designs).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Indeed, nice conditions, powerful enough to have fun but still in my comfort zone.
The HPD I have is the XL, my plywood board has a similar length, the bottom is a little less wide and the nose is way more narrow.
I like the HPD but I find it very hard to turn, I struggle to engage the rail in the face of the wave.
This plywood board works better for me for what I do, which is basically holding a line and going fast.
I don't really grab the outside rail, I mostly use my arms to balance my body weight. Since the nose is quite narrow, most of the time it is enough, the nose turns and the tail will follow.
Also, the narrow nose makes it easier to grab the board to exit the wave.
I think my next board will have more a classic bodyboard shape, for when I want to do a little more maneuvers.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Zensuni,

I think the answer is in your e-mail: "I like the HPD but I find it very hard to turn, I struggle to engage the rail in the face of the wave ..... I don't really grab the outside rail",

Grabbing the outside rail will engage the inside rail. Combned with hip pressure it will tun..

Having said that, it also depends on what type of waves you are trying to ride on it. Small, mushy waves won't suit this type of boar.

Bob
P.S the translation is progressing. I'm now trying to translate the English captions into French.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

zensuni wrote:Hi there,
Here is a POV video of my new plywood paipo in action:
https://youtu.be/MAid5e9Dw5k
and the slow motion version of the first wave: https://youtu.be/ipyeiJJWV50
Here is the board:
paipo.jpg
So far I am quite happy with this design. It is very easy to catch waves with, and it is easier to control than my HPD paipo.

HPD boards cause of it's spoon shape wide tail rider must maneuver their body left or right by shifting the board as you taking off from the lip holding that edge as you take the drop pulling up as you straightened up for the shoulder or heading up the face slide the board again to do a cut-back. Riding a spoon boards takes skills and talent, once you achieved all types of wood board, YOU CAN RIDE ANYTHING JUST LIKE ME.