Greetings from Portugal

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
Vbartolomeu
Tube master
City: Azeitão
State or Province: Setúbal
Interests: Bodyboard, Mountain Bikes, Motorcycles, Aviation

Greetings from Portugal

Unread post by Vbartolomeu »

Hello fellow wave riders!

I'm Vitor, a 41 years old guy from Portugal. I've been riding waves since a kid and started bodyboarding at the age of 11 with a "slickless" Atunas bodyboard.
I still surf with my good old Mike Stewart Turbo III whenever may parenting, familiar and professional activities allow.
Just recently I started looking and learning about handplanes and paipo boards and started doing my own handplane from plywood. I'm also thinking about making a Paipo board from plywood but I'm still trying to learn more about shaping and sizing.
My idea is to try something between a Paipo and a Bodyboard based on my old Atunas (the orange board on the photo), with smoother lines, a small nose lift and maybe fins... because the Atunas also used to have them.
Glad to be here and I hope to learn a lot from you.
Attachments
WP_20190903_20_41_12_Pro.jpg
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Re: Greetings from Portugal

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Aloha!
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Welcome to the Paipo Forums, Vitor. You've come to the right place to obtain advise, opinion, expertise and more opinion. Suggest reading through the forums if you have not because you will find a wealth of information on wave and board surfing principles, what people like to ride and their style of riding, and do-it-yourself board building, in both wood, foam, rubber, and a mix of those, with and without board fins. Have fun!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Boa noite,

Krusher on this forum has made a few paipo based on bodyboard shapes. These were foam and fibreglass.

A ply board will have a lot less buoyancy than a foam bodyboard. Fins probably aren't necessary, though this will depend on the waves you surf and the experience that you are looking for.

There are quite a few threads about making your own wooden boards. This is an old one but contains some suggestions:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=569

Do you see many paipo in Portugal? Some paipo history in Portugal: http://home.brisnet.com.au/~bgreen/Euro ... ugal.shtml

Bob