Building A Paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
wood1234
Forum Grommet
City: Baltimore
State or Province: Maryland

Building A Paipo

Unread post by wood1234 »

I'm in a woodshop class at virginia tech. My group decided to make paipo boards. We have access to free machinery and lumber. My question is will the board still work with the cheap lumber provided? Also, I am 5 foot 9 and weigh 145 pounds, what would be the best dimensions?
Thank You
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Re: Building A Paipo

Unread post by mrmike »

you bet pine is fine, redwood works great and plywood is wonderful, make one of each I make them out of all woods they all work great
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by mrmike »

you can make it any size you like. but I would keep it from 3 1/2 feet to 4 feet long and 16" to 20" wide
Attachments
photo1.1.jpg
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Mike, great photo! Esp with the sepia tint, except for the wetsuit could be any time from somewhere in the future to waaaaaay back in the past.
wood1234
Forum Grommet
City: Baltimore
State or Province: Maryland

Unread post by wood1234 »

Thanks alot for the quick responses and helpful info. I'm going to be using pine and making it 3 1/2 feet by 20 inches. How thick schould the rails be so the board is durable, yet not too heavy?
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by mrmike »

my brother did that for my business cards. he make a good liveing with his photos
As for the board I would keep it at 1/2" any thinner and it might brake. pine is soft so go slow with the plane if you take to much you can't put it back on
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Unread post by Ted »

Mike,

How does that narrowed "guitar pick" shape in your right hand ride? I been thinking about building a wooden board for the Redwings competition.

Ted
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by mrmike »

rode supper good till I sold it. I need to make another. it was only 3/8" thick but I glassed the bottom with 4oz S glass with epoxi
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

mrmike wrote: it was only 3/8" thick but I glassed the bottom with 4oz S glass with epoxi
My experience w/ broken surfboards is that they generally buckle on the deck. Laminated fiber glass is weakest under compression, the "inside angle" of a bend. So I think maybe stronger to glass the deck if only doing one side???
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

On my board that I epoxied, I went heavier on the deck than the bottom. Over time, the board developed the unfortunate tendency to heavily reverse flex when the board was under stress, and at the worst possible moment. Got over a year of good use from the board before it started doing that though.

Ted,
Haven't they been allowing HPDs in the Redwing's contest despite the "core of natural materials" statement in the rules?
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Unread post by Ted »

I don't know what Redwings allows these days. The rules say "core of natural materials."

My bodysurfing photographer buddy, the late Mike Rogers (http://rippanics.printroom.com/), said there is a heap of politics surrounding Redwings and Pt Panic. The notification for the Redwings contest is goofy also - I can't ever get word of when the contest will run until it's too late.