Pumpkin Seed

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Pumpkin Seed

Unread post by soulglider »

Newie. 5'x22.5x2.5 at rails and 1.5 down the stringer. Displacement hull, knife sharp rails with a scooped out deck.
pumpkin seed 1.jpg
pumpkin seed 1.jpg (79.24 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
pumpkin seed 2.jpg
pumpkin seed 2.jpg (87.26 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
pumpkin seed 3.jpg
pumpkin seed 3.jpg (99.28 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
pumpkin seed 4.jpg
pumpkin seed 4.jpg (103.03 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
pumpkin seed 5.jpg
pumpkin seed 5.jpg (67.95 KiB) Viewed 4234 times
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Re: Pumpkin Seed

Unread post by jbw4600 »

A very interesting board. It would be fun to try it out sometime.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Is the widest point about a 3/4 down the board toward the tail or is this just my eye playing tricks. The rail looks like half an almond or is this also an optical delusion on my part.

Bob
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

3" behind center bob and the rails are a variable but, super sharp hull rail, high in the front and super low in the tail.

heres a couple of photos of the fin set-up. i do move them back and forth occasionally to change it up and not necessarially for wave conditions, just different rides.
pumpkin seed fin 1.jpg
pumpkin seed fin 1.jpg (65.61 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
pumpkin seed fin 2.jpg
pumpkin seed fin 2.jpg (71.22 KiB) Viewed 4214 times
the board ended up a little thinner than i thought so thats the reason the rear of the fin doesnt sit all the way down. could sand it down, lazy.
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

Unread post by ClanB »

Wow very cool looking board! Hows it ride?
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

Super duper. Really fast. Easy duckdiver too!
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Surprising to me it would need/be able to use that large of a fin. I would be very tempted to try it w/ a much smaller version, sort of proportionate. Esp since having legs/flippers if needed to recover tail slide if it starts to pop out and slide. If it would still hold you would get even more speed due to reduced drag.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

You have really got the hang of those hulls Tim.
Pretty Damn Sweet.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

hey thanks grumpy. its all i put my mind into these days. i cant say enough about them. i am working on a 4'5 version. i cant go much shorter, my big self drags at around 48" if you know what i mean?

heres a photo of my 11.25" fin. havent used it yet but will as soon as the waves bump up to at least 1-2'
tall fin.jpg
tall fin.jpg (97.46 KiB) Viewed 4167 times
ClanB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by ClanB »

And the shaper is Clause Jones in the Nard???? aaannd do you ever ride it as a half man?
soulglider
Big Wave Charger

The shaper is me and the board is designed for prone surfing, I can kneeride it when conditions are perfect. I have had klaus make me boards and they have been a part of my voyage to create something more along the lines I want to draw. The bottoms are different, as well as the rails and the thicknesses. Klaus can make you a bellyboard. And he is a great shaper of hulls and other things. after long discussions with him and some other guys that also made me boards in the past i decided to start making my own. They all said, without any prompting, making your own boards is the best place to be, no matter how good you are at explaining exactly what you want, the shaper is interpreting what you're saying. Some how, when i shape, I say to myself, I think it needs this. sometimes it worked and sometimes it didnt. I figured out what works and started playing around with other things, different rails, sharper, softer, parallel, curvier, different bottoms, flat, veed, displacement hulls, concaves etc. this board is what worked best, for me. we all are looking for something, a feeling that only we know, when we achieve it. i will make you or anyone one. I am only making these displacement hulls tho. i have made them from 5'10 to 4'11 so far. I have made the kneeboard and bellyboard versions for myself and a close knit group of friends so far. i am making a couple to put into Birds Surf Shed but wont take any custom orders others than length, width, rounded pin, round, velo or square tails. I make single fins and a twins fin only. I dont have the desire or need to gain the knowledge or craftsmanship to make anything else. there are plenty of guys making other boards that dont have the knowledge or desire to make these bellyboard hulls.i want to be great at making boards and for me the best way is to be really specific in what i shape and shape what i love and believe in. i dont want to do it for a living, i just want to share what i've found.
ClanB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by ClanB »

Soul I'm very very impressed.Good on you Bro! The design suggest a lot of commitment and thought into what you wanted in a wave riding experience. Knowing you shaped it for yourself makes me want to get a closer look at what you shaped.
Nice job.