My new SDF surfboard Paipo

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: My new SDF surfboard Paipo

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Thanks K. Yeah, on the site looks like all Ben does is customs. The grim truth ;) is that I will almost certainly be waiting until next year!!! to move on any of this. I am currently deep into a meditation project and pretty committed to grind until next spring. But then...we will see. This mental contemplation of "the ride" is my recreational break from sitting HAH!

Thanks for the tip off about measurement of board, I do think you're right, and my shorter legs/longer torso ratio should actually be an advantage at least in terms of getting my legs out of the water on a speed run. In retrospect, I think the "too big" thing w/ my antique Mike Stewart was width mostly. Making someing around 38 or 39 X 19 likely a lot more manageable.

Noticed last night looking at side by side photos of your board and the Tuna tail by tail, Tuna has flat/parallel outside the concave and yours are actually V-panel chines or whatever the term would be. Should make your board a lot more responsive and easier to turn (with small sacrifice in drive)(always trade-offs).
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

The Tuna has V outside the concave, tom wegener describes it that way in videos on youtube, that why mine has V , copied his design maybe I just ended up with more.

Have you seen this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq_Y3GOWM40
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Ah, jus did see that there was V on the Tuna in the tail end photo in your interview. Had not watched that video and you can clearly see the V when he is holding up the board and talking about it. Some very interesting stuff around 7:30 or so about necessity of having rounded transition from concave to bottom and also very sharp NOT rounded edge at the rail. Thanks for posting the link!

I was having fantasy of engineering flex into the tail end so no need of V or rocker as they would appear and disappear as dictated by forces applied in riding. But the rail shape and concave would give so much structural stiffness that it would be very difficult if not impossible to do it without great expense and exotic materials I think.

On paipo sized board esp I’m thinking of having flat in back (just the concave) and start the V forward just a bit which at least as I understand it might keep most of the benefits of the V but increase speed some.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Ah, jus did see that there was V on the Tuna in the tail end photo in your interview. Had not watched that video and you can clearly see the V when he is holding up the board and talking about it. Some very interesting stuff around 7:30 or so about necessity of having rounded transition from concave to bottom and also very sharp NOT rounded edge at the rail. Thanks for posting the link!

I was having fantasy of engineering flex into the tail end so no need of V or rocker as they would appear and disappear as dictated by forces applied in riding. But the rail shape and concave would give so much structural stiffness that it would be very difficult if not impossible to do it without great expense and exotic materials I think.

On paipo sized board esp I’m thinking of having flat in back (just the concave) and start the V forward just a bit which at least as I understand it might keep most of the benefits of the V but increase speed some.

That video is basically where I learned all the concave to V from the bottom of my board info, he says in the video you need flex without flex it wot work, but i can disprove that as my board does not have flex and holds very well.

Its well worth searching youtube for tom wegener and watching everything on there its all great.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Flex may make it work better but I suspect it may do that due to creating variable rocker. But the "not work" bit more like PR for his boards.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

found this video on how my tail choice works :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sai2ZPjobLA
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

44.1/4" long 21 3/8" wide and 2 5/8" thick.
Just found out via email query to Jay Reale that nearly all bb are 2 1/8" thick. Curious as to why you went thicker. I don't know difference in float between EPS and bb core material but I know bb's are pretty floaty...

I may just have a smaller but very similar shape made from balsa next Spring. Couple excellent balsa shapers in Ecuador. Depends partly on price and partly on how crazy I am by then :lol:
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Also, I imagine you added a lot of rocker to compensate for lack of bb flex?

I think standard bb rocker is 0 (dead flat) in tail and about 1 7/8" in nose or even a bit less, just curved up to meet thickness of blank.