New Paipo Mania board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

New Paipo Mania board

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Here are some photos of my latest board. Hopefully the photos aren't too big. The specs are 51 1/2" long, 21" wide, 1 3/4" or so thick. It is epoxy with 3 layers of 4 oz top and bottom. I am planning on putting a Cove pad on it --either 3/16" or 5/16". But first I am riding it awhile without a pad. I rode it in some decent surf on Sunday at Ocean beach in SF and some crummy surf the day before. It seemed to ride great.
The thinner rails required more finess on bottom turns. It duck dives alot better than my other boards, but it is harder to paddle. I am assuming that it will float more the pad. I haven't decided how more float I want to add.
Attachments
WP_20141129_10_38_57_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20141129_10_38_11_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20141129_10_37_08_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20141129_10_36_13_Pro[1].jpg
WP_20141129_10_34_54_Pro[1].jpg
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: New Paipo Mania board

Unread post by krusher74 »

very nice, saw there were some good aves at OG on black friday!!
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Good job, JW. Did you use the same White Cap EPS? How much does the board weigh? Stringerless, right?
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I used the same 2 lb White Cap EPS foam (stringerless). It is very light. I'll have to weigh it. I sanded this one down more than my last one. So even with 3 layers 4 oz top and bottom it is very light, almost too light. My next board will be 3 4oz on top and 2 4oz on the bottom or 2 6oz on top and one or two 6oz on the bottom.

However, I am pretty sure that will be the last time I glass a board. I going to gave someone else glass it. It is not really worth glassing it yourself, unless you are broke or have lots of time on your hands. For one thing it will look better.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I put a Cove Pad on my new board. I originally designed with the idea of putting a pad on it. The board without a pad is 1 7/8" thick. The pad is 3/16". So now the board is about 2". It really goes great. I rode it awhile without the pad and it rode well. It was a little difficult to paddle, because it sank a little. But now the float is just about right for me. I rode it this weekend at a spot with kind of flat but good sized wave. I didn't have any trouble catching waves. It is very well balanced. I can drop in on almost anything without too fear of nose diving. When it was thinner I noticed that is seemed to stall after taking off on a peak a hitting the bottom flat area. I am liking the thinner rails and thinner rear of the board. Great grip. There was no slipping on the board.

This my board third with a pad. Much more comfortable on the ribs and the elbows. I might try the thicker 5/16" pad next time. I will never go back to pad free board.

You should try it . Why not????
Attachments
IMG_0375[1].JPG
IMG_0377[1].JPG
Gorillasurfer
Tube master
City: Anaheim
Interests: wave riding, hiking, sewing

Unread post by Gorillasurfer »

Very cool board! Hope you have a blast on it.