Building a plywood paipo in the middle of nowhere in India.

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Re: Building a plywood paipo in the middle of nowhere in Ind

Unread post by OG-AZN »

First time I a chance to read through this great thread. Funny too that I just ate some leftover jerk chicken with rice & peas yesterday after coming back from a paipo surf session. I use the equivalent of 12mm thick ply for most of my paipos, and they work great. 9mm or 3/8 is lighter and more flexible, but it's too flimsy for me. Even with the small difference in thickness, I find the 1/2" wood more comfortable to grip too. Are you guys issued, or do have your own swim fins? If not, I suggest making the old skool native style ones using cheap canvas shoes with plywood blades fastened to the soles.

Just for kicks, I scanned a couple old photos from my school days showing a kid named Brad riding his ply "paipo". He said it was a purpose built paipo, but it could very well have been a piece of driftwood. Dead flat, crude shape, unfinished; with the edges all coming apart. He surfed anything & everything with that board and 1 duck foot fin, and he did alright. Shows you don't need much to get some good rides. Good luck over there.
Attachments
olddays2.jpg
olddays1.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Building a plywood paipo in the middle of nowhere in Ind

Unread post by bgreen »

Bouncaneer,

Sorry for the confusion. I sent the e-mail to 1 hand clapping.

How's the build going? Keep it simple and alll will be fine.

Bob