Frankenboogie Mk. III

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger
City: Atlanta
State or Province: GA
Interests: books, beer, and breaking waves

Re: Frankenboogie Mk. III

Unread post by Atlantasurfer »

For the first part of this month, I was down in Central America getting to know this board well. For small waves (up to about chest high) this board suited my style of riding and was a ton of fun. It didn't duck dive as well as many paipos, but it was certainly doable. It is long enough to put your knee into it, so the effect was much like duck diving a short surfboard. And with being able to catch most of the waves that I tried for, I spent more time riding waves.

But for head high and bigger, Black Betty is not the craft. The board only has an inch or so of rocker, which, combined with the length led to consistent pearling. So now I'm looking back to my first foam and fiberglass paipo, a 50" Ashton that was the forefather of the standard Austin paipo, to be my ride on bigger days.

The Frankenboogie Mk. II, which I also brought on the trip, is essentially being orphaned. It does not really excel in big or small waves, so it is going to the back of the stack. Unless I reshape it into something else, it probably won't see the water again.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

Unread post by asier esnal »

I would like to rescue these ideas for me. I can buy paulownia boards in 15, 18 and 22mm, the 18 and 22mm boards allow me to put fcs fusion plugs, I want my paipos with fins.

The weight of the paipo that has been designed in 18mm thickness is 2.5kg in 22mm it has 3kg. it's the good thing about 3d

but I want my tables to go to the roker go, I know that it will slow down worse with the waves we have in the cantabrico there are no problems, they have strength to spare

the question is, how can I get the rocker to a 22 or 18mm board? I leave you a design that I have made starting from the idea of Frankenboogie
Attachments
70x301.png
70x301.png (382.43 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger
City: Atlanta
State or Province: GA
Interests: books, beer, and breaking waves

Unread post by Atlantasurfer »

I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm sure someone around here has good advice for bending Paulownia.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Atlantasurfer wrote:I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm sure someone around here has good advice for bending Paulownia.
Atlantasurfer: your paipo has been a great inspiration for me, thank you very much for buying your ideas, it is serious, you have a great mind
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

At the time of design I was confused in the orientation of the veins of the wood to make it look more beautiful.
  but thanks to this failure, I already have the first idea

all the alaias and paipos I have seen have the longitudinal vein, this gives rigidity and flex in thin boards, but what happens in short woods like the paipo if I put an 18mm?
it will be too rigid to bend it.
  I'm sure I will not be the first to do it. Cut the paipo with the orientation of the changed tables. woods across, instead of along

To accentuate the roker without forcing the wood you can make channels like the photo. Blue lines, to reinforce would be to fill the channels with polyester and laminate with fiberglass. As I work with nfiber with uv polyester, this is a matter of 15 minutes

I do not look for 100% ecological tables. that for later

Attachments
30x70.png
30x70.png (226.65 KiB) Viewed 1683 times