New H fin board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger
City: Gold Coast
State or Province: Qld

Re: New H fin board

Unread post by SURFFOILS »

Hi Chris, I think the pitch sensitivity is due to the chord length, with a wide wing with short chord it's very pitch sensitive because you're relying on Bernoullian forces for lif like a plane wing, but if you use a short wing with a long chord it's very stable in pitch and hard to stall, it uses the infinite energy of the wave for lift. It's like if you step outside into a gale holding a large piece of ply, the foil on the ply is not going to make any difference, it's all Newtons principles of energy. I'm sure we discussed this a while ago, pity we're not on the same continent !
------------------------------------------------------------------
surffoil@gmail.com
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Please post videos of this board in action if you have some :D
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

Go to Vimeo and search for SURFFOILS, there's a handful of videos there.
I would say my foils are very stable and easy to ride but they lack the cool design that Chris has. I've put similar foils on a Laser sailboat.
Attachments
IMG_1754.PNG
IMG_1755.PNG
IMG_1753.PNG
IMG_1752.PNG
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

The 2015 \ 2016 quiver. As you can see I was trying to address the cord issue with the small boards, but I am stuck on this issue of trying to understand that transient zone from planeing to foil lift .I want my fin, foil, main lift body? To be as good on top as in the water . I am in a difficult position were I have built more board evolutions than I can test. And testing is not always fun getting nailed on an unfamiliar board, on waves I would easily make on my go to boards. I have tried to keep the test parameters simple longest ride on a wave face wins. One week at a wave pool would do it but after checking Krushers cost estimate, it’s out of my reach. Like yesterday the waves were so good and not wanting to miss out went back to my old board, missing a teast session on the new board ?
Attachments
GOPR2384.JPG
Last edited by CHRISPI on Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

My number one go to board is the black one , the white one I could not get comfortable on.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

That picture is not to scale the black board is by far the biggest it’s takenon a gopro on fish eye i think .
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

Can you explain about these front sections , they look angled ?
Attachments
IMG_1764.JPG
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Shock wave propagator or laminar flow splitter
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

I think you don't need that angled surface to get on the plane.
I'd buy them all if I had the chance !
Attachments
IMG_1763.JPG
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Bret long story this, every bit of my boards has been meticulously thought about looked at and refined in great detail in my mind . Do I know what I am talking about I don’t know ? my board buildding abuility I thinck excceds my understanding the complexity of refining the movment of a human body ridding on a wave . My interest is in understanding the wave this uncompressible momentry vertical wall made of water that can be ridden.
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

They are magnificent boards to look at , I can only imagine how fast they are to ride.

As for the angled front section.. my story is that I tried every different version of traditional foil design that I could find, all sorts of materials, conventional scientific theories for several years. then I tried the complete opposite and it worked better than anything else. Im just saying if you get a chance, try every angle, even the opposite, it might not work but you learn so much.
Maybe try it without the angled section or maybe the two long side foils like I have and see what I experience.
surffoil@gmail.com
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

CHRISPI wrote:New H fin board
After going through a short small board faze and having some of the beast waves of my life on the black board .And after some deep reflection on witch of my ‘’ can you make a better body board ‘’ experiment s is best , here is another stab in the dark . this will be the last red board , I have used up all my red foam .Because funds are running dry quality was compromised buy using off cut bits off foam, the join lines show when the board heats up a bit. And unexplained bulges are suggesting water in the foam. I have learnt my lesson. But I will use the board as is , I am looking forward to the first teast ride

Cool board details and dimensions are awesome, what kind of "maneuvers" can this particular board can do? I really want to know..... Looks very cool.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Hi Jarrett
Thanks for the complement ,I don’t do so-called manoeuvres I think my style is old school I ride a wave to make it so no elrolos, spinners etc,i have an odd paddle out technique instead of duck dive under white water I pop over the top ,the fin tips sometimes pop my large bulk out the water, it can go horribly wrong if you miss time it .Common technique with long boards ,do other prone rider use this method ?.My favoured so-called manoeuvre is a floater rentry, seems to skip on top of the white water, but its best in the vertical zone it gets amazing horizontal drive; it’s got traction, or grip. The only back to back comparisons I get is riding body boards, they fell to me like driving a car with the tyres flat , mushy .
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

2016 Christmas collection told you they would make good decorations :lol:
Attachments
GOPR2389.JPG
GOPR2387.JPG
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

Wow, they look great ! Ever thought of retailing them ?
surffoil@gmail.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane

Unread post by bgreen »

CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Did you see the shock wave propagator in front of the foil?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

"shock wave propagator" - that''s way out of my realm . Is the SWP the big thing in front of the foil? What does it do?
Foil.jpg
Foil.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 3720 times
Certainly the board opened up options for surfing - you don't need a clean wave face.

Bob
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

On one of the pics in that clip, I am shore I could see a conical nose, on the front foil like a bulbous bow ?
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

All these foils are from the same design foil from the Air Chair and that twin foil design comes from the Big Front Wing and Small Tail Wing concept from airplanes. Th bigger foil/ wing gives the majority of lift and the rear foil/ wing adjusts the AOA of the front foil. So the efficiency of the rear foil is compromised as it's a controller. The further apart they are the more stable and they provide lift via the Bernoullian concept of high Vs low pressure over opposite sides of the foil. They require constant and uniform speed to be effective and stable.
A foil with a rounded leading edge has a greater effective angle of attack but is slower and a sharp edge foil is the opposite.
surffoil@gmail.com