New H fin board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

New H fin board

Unread post by CHRISPI »

New H fin board
After going through a short small board faze and having some of the beast waves of my life on the black board .And after some deep reflection on witch of my ‘’ can you make a better body board ‘’ experiment s is best , here is another stab in the dark . this will be the last red board , I have used up all my red foam .Because funds are running dry quality was compromised buy using off cut bits off foam, the join lines show when the board heats up a bit. And unexplained bulges are suggesting water in the foam. I have learnt my lesson. But I will use the board as is , I am looking forward to the first teast ride
Attachments
GOPR2354.JPG
GOPR2355.JPG
GOPR2359.JPG
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Re: New H fin board

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Hi, I think that this is your best one yet. What are the dimensions?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thanks for the complement its 42 inch long, 19 at wide point, 15 at the tail, 23 between fin tips
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

What sort of waves are your boards best suited to?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

what a beauty!
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thanks if it doesn’t ride well it will make a good Christmas decoration.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Hi Bob
This board has not been tested. But my last full size board the black one is absolutely amazing it rides slop , white water ,got this amazing ability to drive around foameys and to get over flat sections. But its best feature is its ability to hold a high horizontal line in barrels, it loves pitching waves, I must admit I don’t really like waves much bigger than head high. I like quantity a good day is a hundred barrel day . It loves really small waves as well. It sounds too good to be true ,it takes time to get used to , asking body boarders to test it has not been to successful ,its change from displacement surfing to tiptoeing on one fin tip is dramatic but when pitched properly it is mind blowing .
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

The deck is finished, it is ready for a test ride, I am battling to get good pictures
Attachments
GOPR2380 (2).JPG
GOPR2381.JPG
GOPR2382 (2).JPG
GOPR2374 (2).JPG
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

I had my first test ride today weak one meter at 10 seconds wave, it was very interesting the big fin plate made it seem very lose like on a plate with no direction, it makes lift at paddling speed I think this is going to be a very interesting board. It paddles into bad waves with ease
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

I had my first test ride today weak one meter at 10 seconds wave, it was very interesting the big fin plate made it seem very lose like on a plate with no direction, it makes lift at paddling speed I think this is going to be a very interesting board. It paddles into weak bad waves with ease
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

You must put a lot of hours into basic shaping?

Once you are riding it are you up on the foil the whole ride, or does it dip back down on the main board ?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

It is hard to explain the main hull sits up but with the wake foam ball touching the rail, mostly it runs with one rail and one fin in steep walls, at very high speeds it gets up on one wing tip, shaping is not that difficult the main parts are foam laminates with the main concaves and rockers pressed in. The fin is built separately a foam laminate with corrugated spars .
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

CHRISPI wrote:Hi Bob
This board has not been tested. But my last full size board the black one is absolutely amazing it rides slop , white water ,got this amazing ability to drive around foameys and to get over flat sections. But its best feature is its ability to hold a high horizontal line in barrels, it loves pitching waves, I must admit I don’t really like waves much bigger than head high. I like quantity a good day is a hundred barrel day . It loves really small waves as well. It sounds too good to be true ,it takes time to get used to , asking body boarders to test it has not been to successful ,its change from displacement surfing to tiptoeing on one fin tip is dramatic but when pitched properly it is mind blowing .
Thanks - so it rides slop and barrels, but probably hasn't been ridden in bigger waves. Sounds versatile.
Maybe 2018 - I'd give it a go.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Bob
It’s hard to explain these boards dont hand over in one session very well , they seem to have an unnatural balance ,when I do quick water swaps and I get on to body boards it feels like there is no lift when on a wave, the latest body boards seem to have amazing buoyancy but when riding seem to produce half the lift my boards do , I have been riding so called wing boards for a long time now I suppose if you ride a car bonnet long enough it will start to fell normal and everything else unnatural ? .I really need a paipo get together to try out other boards, I have tried out a solid wood board it was fast but a bitch to catch waves. Although we have a passionate surfing community in South Africa, nobody seems to want to try different stuff maybe they do but are but hard to find?
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

CHRISPI wrote:I have tried out a solid wood board it was fast but a bitch to catch waves.
According to my little paipo experience, catching waves with a wood paipo is not more difficult than with a bodyboard, it is just a different way. The wood paipo isn't buoyant enough to carry your body until the ride starts. So you need to put your hands flat on the paipo's deck, remain behind the board (your body is entirely in the water), arms extended, just like you would do with a kickboard. stiffen your body, try to make your body flat, don't arch your back, and kick like hell under the water. When you feel that the waves catches you, then only you can have the classic bodyboard position. The same method works fine for me for bodysurfing and when I use the surf mat, basically your body becomes the board.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

I'm sure the boards aren't mastered in a single session but it may be possible to get a glimpse of what they can do. The capacity to slice through whitewater sounds like fun.

How are your boards coming in on a heavy shallow shorebreak or over rock?
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Heavy shore break is where this board is at its best, its ability to hold a horizontal line on a vertical face is amazing, and at 63 I am not as brave as the old days. One of the biggest problems with these boards with lots of thin rails and sharp edges are they chip and mark easily. My home break has a rock break with mussels and lots of sea urchins I have scraped my shins a few times I don’t like it
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

My second session on the new board in perfect 10 sec 1.6 M offshore conditions showed two new traits one was in a flick turn a sharp high frequency rattle of what I think is cavitation is felt and herd ,do forum followers feel there is some significance in it . Do conventional displacement boards ever bang and pop?? There is a new and strange feeling board posture when running away from a close out as it hits the flat-water it stands up on the wing tips and ocelots from one tip to the other obviously some sort of inertia coupling ,it makes me feels uncomfortably high off the water. I have never felt this on my other boards
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger
City: Gold Coast

Unread post by SURFFOILS »

CRISPI, great board !! I think the vibrating noise could be twang from the off side wingtip during a fast turn, youve loaded up the forces and then unloaded. The aquatic version of SCH-wing !! (indeed)

And the oscillating is caused by the foil sitting up /skimming on the surface and then balancing back and forth like the death wobbles on a skateboard.
More technically its could be a von Kármán vortex street pattern, but thats usually on a single surface.

ref. In fluid dynamics, a Kármán vortex street is a repeating pattern of swirling vortices caused by the unsteady separation of flow of a fluid around blunt bodies.
------------------------------------------------------------------
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Thanks Bret great to see you on this forum again, been following your stuff on swaylocks interesting stuff. Your description sounds spot on, one of my biggest problems on these boards is that they are very pitch sensitive, if you are off pitch by a small amount it fells mushy still as fast as a body board, but when on pitch the board fells like it has had a rocket lit under it and wants to pull out of your hands. Every new board takes at least 5 sessions to relearn its pitch line