Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

Unread post by rodndtube »

Like I mentioned, a bicep might be fine for a soft board, not that is way to close for a hard board snap-back. I don't get hit often (of course, I am using a quality 5 or 6 ft. leash!), but the last time I was using a 4 ft. leash, it snapped back on me after doing a Hawaiian pull-out (aka a duck dive pullout) through a wave (in Hawaii, no pun intended). The five stitches was no fun and ended a really nice session at Laniakea.

The longer leashes (6 ft) don't bother me but really come in handy at a few spots I ride on those larger days where a 4 ft. leash would just kill me.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Junkman
Wave slider
City: Kaneohe
State or Province: Hawaii

Unread post by Junkman »

bgreen wrote:Junkman, where do you usually surf?
It really depends on the conditions/direction of the swell & wind. Oh, and my family & work obligations.

Don't want to broadcast specific locations, but I'd be happy to talk with you via PM - give me a shout.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Junkman,

I'll send a pm in a couple of minutes.

Bob
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

In a wipe out, is it better to hang on the board until the waves rips it from your hand or is it better to let it go and keep focusing on protecting the head ?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

It is also a responsibility to not harm others around you.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

zensuni wrote:In a wipe out, is it better to hang on the board until the waves rips it from your hand or is it better to let it go and keep focusing on protecting the head ?
#

Hold on to it, the longer you keep doing this the better you will become at anticipating whats happening in that moment and learn how to move the board so you dont loose it at all. As you get better you can anticipate when a wave might close out or your going to fall and in that spilt second kick out/cut into the wave face/pull straight to minimise impact and the ammount the wave is hitting you.
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA

Unread post by kage »

This may be a bit late, hope your board is still available. I ride HPDs about 90% of the time and like them a lot (obvs). I'm 5'6" and rode the XL for about 10 years and then switched to the mini. I like it better but I would recommend the XL too. I use a leash, no need to get into that issue here, but the difference between a leash on a plywood or HPD I think is probably minimal. As far as specific conditions (closeout, beachbreak, whatever) I think the rider has a lot more to do with the kind of waves they like to ride than the board. As long as I'm being contradictory I might as well add that I don't ride the HPD exclusively from the back. The takeoff is from wayyyy back and then shoot the board back up under your stomach. Key for me is keeping the location of the board very flexible from hanging over the front to kicking from the back. :D
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

I do shape Hawaiian Papa Paepo`o Boards,
These are some of my boards, getting ready for the Makaha Paipo Contest.
10665138_10203242220887289_397122057281166864_n.jpg
I also make these personal boards:
10959295_10205956994154114_7492716746874703221_n.jpg
10959295_10205956994154114_7492716746874703221_n.jpg (73.34 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
No leash is needed, just gottah` find youself on any kind of wood board then you can ride like this...
DSC_4698.JPG
IMG_3800.JPG
10530664_10202101135320863_5697469878005915856_n.jpg
Let me know, you can find me on youtube, FB, IG... aloha...
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

kage wrote:This may be a bit late, hope your board is still available. I ride HPDs about 90% of the time and like them a lot (obvs). I'm 5'6" and rode the XL for about 10 years and then switched to the mini. I like it better but I would recommend the XL too. I use a leash, no need to get into that issue here, but the difference between a leash on a plywood or HPD I think is probably minimal. As far as specific conditions (closeout, beachbreak, whatever) I think the rider has a lot more to do with the kind of waves they like to ride than the board. As long as I'm being contradictory I might as well add that I don't ride the HPD exclusively from the back. The takeoff is from wayyyy back and then shoot the board back up under your stomach. Key for me is keeping the location of the board very flexible from hanging over the front to kicking from the back. :D
HPD boards or any "spoon-shapes" wood boards when taking off left or right, all you got to do is shift your tail out. Meaning if your going right, your right tail (meaning bottom-right) would be between your cruch, as going left you do the same left tail between legs. Depends on the width and legth of your board, wider and longer boards you need to add your inside knee. Exambles ...
Here's one of my heavy & wider board 3/4" thick x 48' lgth.x 3"nose x 36" tail :
10959295_10205956994154114_7492716746874703221_n.jpg
10959295_10205956994154114_7492716746874703221_n.jpg (73.34 KiB) Viewed 5859 times
Angle your board when taking the drop, shifting your board left or right of directions, once your clear of drop slide the board under your body and track that face of water.....

B.L. a happy custumer picking up his Hawaiian Papa Paepo`o Board...
IMG_4628.JPG
paolomorgia
Tube master
City: rome
State or Province: rome

Unread post by paolomorgia »

Hello!

I have bought and surfed a XP model but only in small (2-3 ft) waves.

Very fast board but not easy to use.

I used a leash because I was surfing a reef and I was hit by the board on my head.

My impression: needs very large waves, DO NOT USE A LEASH, VERY DANGEROUS
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I don't think you specifically need large waves, ideally you need some power. I found mine hard to ride on a thin walled type of wave.

I didn't find a leash dangerous, perhaps where it was fitted and the type of leash contributed. Most people I know that ride this style of board don't use a leash.

I think it takes time to really be able to learn the potential of the design.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

I received the board, I m impressed by the width :lol:
As expected it doesn t have a leash plug.
Do you think that gluing a classic surf leash plug would work ?
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Don't these boards behave a lot like plywood when you lose them in that they rarely if ever get carried very far by the wave, popping back up right near you?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

My guess is that the board has a rubber deck pad? Some do and some do not. Also, you might want to inquire with HPD to find out what kind of materials are used and whether it is advised or not to drill a hole. You don't want to drill through and have some water sucking material in the composite.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger

zensuni wrote:I received the board, I m impressed by the width :lol:
As expected it doesn t have a leash plug.
Do you think that gluing a classic surf leash plug would work ?
Aloha, adding a leash-plug would have to be a custom made plug. The smallest (thickness) surf plug is 1/2" thick, how thick is your board?
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger

You got the message, using a leash will cause pull-over or drag under with the white wash. Just keep on riding your board, try using a nose pevit into the face, meaning shallow breaks try lifting outter rail n nose diving along the bottom face of the wave. To deep of a dive will hit the reef, got to do it gradually on size of waves.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger

zensuni wrote:
Junkman wrote: You direct it from the tail
Do you mean it is a little bit like a bodyboard, where you really have to slice the wave's face to turn ?

Also, I'm quite short, 5,5 foot, I am concerned about the board (especially this XL model) being just too big for me.

Aloha, I have two XL HPD boards it's really light do to "composite material used", their great for steep take off but there's a theory behind it. when using a wider-tail, the trick is you need to slide the tail of the board left or right of what ever direction your heading. If your heading " rights" your right-side tail will be under your left hip, holding your board at one o'Clock and 7 o'Clock once your ready to head straight then you slide the board under you. It's what I called a "Stall" as you taking a drop down the face of a wave. Since I've now shape my own wood board I use multiple maneuvers with old style and my own maneuvers to help me taking any size surf.
img1451026444723.jpg
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

Junkman
Wave slider
City: Kaneohe
State or Province: Hawaii

Unread post by Junkman »

[quote="Papa Paepo o"]I do shape Hawaiian Papa Paepo`o Boards,

Papa Paepo o - Great looking boards. Do you put any spoon or lift in the nose? Are your boards glassed?
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger

Aloha,
Mahalo, I'm not doing spoon boards just yet but I am working on the mould for couple of sizes. The boards that you see does have a nose-rocker with a nose contour for riders. I used to ride those type of boards before but now I just ride flat bottom. The photo you see there is a flat-bottom board, the board is shape to the persons body size that will give you an easy menauverbility which you can either do cut-back, drops, spinners, stalls or my favorite under-water take-off with a spinner or two.