Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Re: Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Papa Paepo o wrote:Aloha,
Mahalo, I'm not doing spoon boards just yet but I am working on the mould for couple of sizes. The boards that you see does have a nose-rocker with a nose contour for riders. I used to ride those type of boards before but now I just ride flat bottom. The photo you see there is a flat-bottom board, the board is shape to the persons body size that will give you an easy menauverbility which you can either do cut-back, drops, spinners, stalls or my favorite under-water take-off with a spinner or two.
going left with a spinner.
going left with a spinner.
Junkman
Wave slider
City: Kaneohe
State or Province: Hawaii

Unread post by Junkman »

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Don't these boards behave a lot like plywood when you lose them in that they rarely if ever get carried very far by the wave, popping back up right near you?
The board generally stay pretty close if you get separated. There are exceptions, but at least you have on fins!
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Junkman wrote:
GeoffreyLevens wrote:Don't these boards behave a lot like plywood when you lose them in that they rarely if ever get carried very far by the wave, popping back up right near you?
The board generally stay pretty close if you get separated. There are exceptions, but at least you have on fins!
First you need to know your board, really!!! What size wave your catching, how it respond to your body movements. Where to be on n where not to be. If I did loose my board it would be because I was to much up front or an insane drop. You have to know how far your board can take you n learn what not to do. Fins are just to help you swim, take off and steer. These board I shape is couple inches wider than your body. As a professional bodysurfer I'm able to do what a bodysurfer, skinboarder, surfer n skateboarder do but on the wave. I have a young man name Keali'i at the age of 16 n he rides my 48" at waikikk walls but stands up n surf it. Wood board needs the weight behind everything you want to do.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

I wanted to test the board Today, unfortunately it was very small, here is the longest wave I had:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysItAYkQ6ww

So I couldn't really test the board in normal conditions, but I can tell that this board makes tiny waves very easy to catch.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger

zensuni wrote:I wanted to test the board Today, unfortunately it was very small, here is the longest wave I had:

So I couldn't really test the board in normal conditions, but I can tell that this board makes tiny waves very easy to catch.
Nice board, cool fun wave too. I couldn't but notice going left i seen white water sprays shooting from the left front? It shows that your body is on the rightside n not the left side of the board. I'm pretty sure you can go pretty far on those kind of waves. I know I can. Because the board has a wider bottom, gottah' lean on the inside and watch the sprays shoot behind you n not in front. There's a certain ways of holding your for a take off. While floating, pull the board towards your chest, once board contact chesty where your arms reach and hands are (grip on both edge). That's your body placement, chest will be on that imaginary line. When ur heading rights, have your right side of your body on that right edge of the board, i call that "slicing. Causing sprays shooting out on your left side which looks very cool. Let me know how you did. Aloha.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

Papa Paepo o wrote:
zensuni wrote:I wanted to test the board Today, unfortunately it was very small, here is the longest wave I had:

Nice board, cool fun wave too. I couldn't but notice going left i seen white water sprays shooting from the left front? It shows that your body is on the rightside n not the left side of the board. I'm pretty sure you can go pretty far on those kind of waves. I know I can. Because the board has a wider bottom, gottah' lean on the inside and watch the sprays shoot behind you n not in front. There's a certain ways of holding your for a take off. While floating, pull the board towards your chest, once board contact chesty where your arms reach and hands are (grip on both edge). That's your body placement, chest will be on that imaginary line. When ur heading rights, have your right side of your body on that right edge of the board, i call that "slicing. Causing sprays shooting out on your left side which looks very cool. Let me know how you did. Aloha.
Thanks, hard to explain in English, but the wave was so small that I couldn t use leverage to turn, sometime I had to lean right to give the wave some surface to push the board. I guess I need a little bigger wave to turn clean.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

I had another HPD XL test session yesterday. It was quite mushy and choppy, the waves were not that small but still a little weak so most of the take offs were late. I focused on bottom turning, I found it not that easy with such a wide board. The rocker definitely prevented pearling at times. I am looking forward to try this board on cleaner conditions. I used a wrist gopro to take some rear view videos: https://youtu.be/wnFCqUoeZ2U
paolomorgia
Tube master
City: rome
State or Province: rome

Unread post by paolomorgia »

I have used it few times in medium surf...very heavy...leash is dangerous for you.
I had my head hit...

The board is very fast
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

PaipoJim has a couple of good photos of an HPD in Northern Oregon waves -- maybe he can repost them. Not sure he and his buddy, Andy, do bottom turns much or now or just angle and scream across the face.

A leash can be okay but you may need a longer one than is typically used on a bodyboard.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

Haven't used it for a while now. I like it under specific conditions. It needs to be clean, not choppy, not too big, and not crowded since my board doesn t have a leash. Some winter mornings are like that.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger

Is it easier for you surf with a leash? I've never seen anyone here in Hawai'i added a lanyard on their boards. Hope to see some photos clips of you in action.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

I find it an overall better and safer experience surfriding with a leash... especially when many, many tens of yards out from the beach and at breaks with lots of hard structures (reefs, beach rock/reef, inside cliffs, piers, jetty/groin, etc.). Although there are times I find myself having to dive under a wave, pull the board and rely upon the leash to hold the board (aka bailing), it is my practice to never do this in proximity of others for safely reasons. A leash is also useful in sand bar break waves where there is shallow water and continuous waves and currents -- much easier to get out pulling the board, diving under and so on.

Does a leash ever get in the way? Yes, on occasion it will tangle up with my board skegs. I normally use a 6 ft. leash, non-coil, wrapped around my wrist and the leash plug 3 inches below the tip of the nose of the board.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.