Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

Unread post by zensuni »

I occasionally ride a finless plywood paipo in small waves. It works great, but when waves are bigger, I don't use it since I am concerned about my safety. Plywood is hard and I experienced it twice already. I think the leash may be what caused the board to hit my head, but if I don't use leash then it starts to be dangerous for the others. When it is too big for the plywood paipo, I use a surfmat, which is fun and quite interesting to ride, but duckdiving is so much easier with a paipo... So, I am looking for a fiberglass paipo. There is no paipo in France as far as I know, so it is quite a quest to find one. On the french equivalent of Craig's list I found a second hand HPD XL. I visited the HPD website, I googled HPD paipos, but I found a very few videos of them in action. Their guitar pick shape intrigues me. Are they really fast ? Isn't the large tail cumbersome ?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Need feedbacks on the HPD XL

Unread post by bgreen »

The HPD is still a hard object. It is an established design that has been ridden in large Hawaiian surf. Under paipo interviews look for Paul Lindbergh, Sean Ross, especially and Jim Growney, but there are quite a few historical interviews which show these boards. For some historical footage of Jim and John Waidelich and friends - see https://vimeo.com/9742493
Some people love them, some don't. You just have to put the time in and surf them in better waves - ideally something with a peak to launch from. Kage and Paipo Jim are two guys on this forum, that I know of, who have ridden this design over the years.

Hard to tell why the board hit your head - you could look into a Gath helmet if you're concerned about injuring your head.

I know a French shaper who might make you a fibreglass board.

They can be fast, the tail is the planning area and the wings act as fins
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Not sure about the leash you were using... they come in many sizes (lengths) and a couple of different styles (coiled and straight). Maybe try a leash a couple of feet longer. Personally, I don't use the coil leashes as they tend to be shorter and pop back harder (during those rare wipe outs, ha ha).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Unread post by OG-AZN »

Like other people said, you'll gain nothing safety wise with a HPD. They are just as hard as plywood and will probably snap back at you just as hard if you put a leash on one. I've never surfed any "traditional" paipo with a leash. I think it's dangerous. You must be surfing really crowded conditions to fear endangering other people when you lose your board. Neutrally buoyant boards tend not to travel as far in when you lose them as compared to surfboard, boogie, or mat.

I don't think the HPD does well in small beachbreak or any kind of closeout surf either. However, if you can get the one for sale in your region at a good price, you should grab it. If you're looking at paying a high price, you should think about getting a wood paipo made of paulownia or similar light wood instead. The weight difference between paulownia and plywood is pretty dramatic.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Zensuni,

The other thing I forgot to mention is that a fibreglass board will hit you harder than your average ply/wood bellyboard.

Bob
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

The actual HPD company has newer model that is not guitar pick shaped. Having ridden a guitar pick plywood board a few times, I do not really like the outline though to be fair, it could have been just that the board overall was much too big for me. Anyway, check it out

Hawaiian Paipo Designa~PAIPO XP
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

I thought that a fiberglass board would be less dangerous, seems like I was wrong. In this case I don't have any good reason to buy it. Will be cheaper to keep the plywood board and to buy a Gath helmet and a long surf leash :) On small days it is sometimes so crowded that the helmet would also help to prevent from being injured by other rider's board anyway. Again, I am happy with how the plywood board works. Didn't know either that pawlonia was lighter than plywood, might be a good solution, although I have no idea of where I can find that kind of wood. Thanks for your replies.
Junkman
Wave slider
City: Kaneohe
State or Province: Hawaii

Unread post by Junkman »

I've ridden HPD boards for the last few years, and I'd recommend giving it a go.

I don't wear a leash and the only times I've been hit by the board is from pulling in to a closeout section. But regardless of the situation, if I do become separated from the board I protect my dome because, as I'm sure you know, you do not want to catch that rail in your skull. And per og-azn's post - the board tends to not travel very far without you on it. But not every time.

The HPD shape requires some getting used to. You direct it from the tail, like bgreen said. Infact, you really have to crank the rail to get it turning. If you just lean over to turn, you'll find yourself in a kind of slow-motion flat spin while the wave runs away from you.

Another thing about the HPD board is that its a runner. Loves to run. Give her a nice open face and she'll take off.

On second thought, you shouldn't get the HPD board because I want to get it. Wait, nevermind, you're too far away and they'll bleed me on the shipping costs. You should get it instead.

No, I'm not a paid spokesman for HPD.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

Junkman wrote: You direct it from the tail
Do you mean it is a little bit like a bodyboard, where you really have to slice the wave's face to turn ?

Also, I'm quite short, 5,5 foot, I am concerned about the board (especially this XL model) being just too big for me.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

How much is the board? If it isn't too expensive you don't have a lot to lose. Don't worry about the size, XL dimensions are: 30 inches wide at the widest point, and 40 inches from nose to tail.

In terms of paulownia boards, these guys aren't far from you: http://www.surf-longboard.com/info-wege ... boards.htm

Then there is these guys: https://surfeuropemag.com/features/shap ... -wood.html
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

Bob, the board would cost me 360 dollars, shipment included. Still cheaper than if I bought a new one, if I take in account the shipment price it would cost from Hawaii. But I noticed that this board doesn't have a leash plug, so I definitely won't by it. Regarding paulownia , is it lighter than balsa ? Balsa seems to be a lot easier to find.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

Paulownia is close to the weight of female balsa and lighter than male balsa and doesn't readily absorb water like balsa as well.
IMO it's worth the effort to find.
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Junkman wrote:I've ridden HPD boards for the last few years, and I'd recommend giving it a go.

I don't wear a leash and the only times I've been hit by the board is from pulling in to a closeout section. But regardless of the situation, if I do become separated from the board I protect my dome because, as I'm sure you know, you do not want to catch that rail in your skull. And per og-azn's post - the board tends to not travel very far without you on it. But not every time.

The HPD shape requires some getting used to. You direct it from the tail, like bgreen said. Infact, you really have to crank the rail to get it turning. If you just lean over to turn, you'll find yourself in a kind of slow-motion flat spin while the wave runs away from you.

Another thing about the HPD board is that its a runner. Loves to run. Give her a nice open face and she'll take off.

On second thought, you shouldn't get the HPD board because I want to get it. Wait, nevermind, you're too far away and they'll bleed me on the shipping costs. You should get it instead.

No, I'm not a paid spokesman for HPD.
you can get paulowina from spain http://woodensurfboards.blogspot.co.uk/ ... spain.html

http://wood-alaia-surf.paulownia.ws/

65euro for a 30mm thick blank you could get a 42" by 18" paipo from thats pretty cheap. (they also do custom sizes) couple of hours of shaping and you surfing!

here is the one i made viewtopic.php?f=4&t=687
Junkman
Wave slider
City: Kaneohe
State or Province: Hawaii

Unread post by Junkman »

zensuni wrote:Do you mean it is a little bit like a bodyboard, where you really have to slice the wave's face to turn ?

Also, I'm quite short, 5,5 foot, I am concerned about the board (especially this XL model) being just too big for me.
I can't speak to a comparison to the bodyboard/sponge because I never really used a bodyboard.

I'm 5'10 and actually prefer the Monster to the XL as it is 8" longer than the XL (gets my knees out of the water while going down the line). That said, I don't think the XL would be too much board for you.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:How much is the board? If it isn't too expensive you don't have a lot to lose. Don't worry about the size, XL dimensions are: 30 inches wide at the widest point, and 40 inches from nose to tail.

In terms of paulownia boards, these guys aren't far from you: http://www.surf-longboard.com/info-wege ... boards.htm

Then there is these guys: https://surfeuropemag.com/features/shap ... -wood.html
Interesting to see the wegener paipos all sold for 360euro ($400us) :o A blank to make one of them would cost me less than $100, and they take less than 2 hours to shape :?

Bodyboarders start crying if there boards approach half that cost.

compared to a tomos T4, or a california sufcraft they seem very expensive, I guess you have your money and take your choice. ;)
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

krusher74 , thanks for the link, it is indeed quite cheap and I think I could give it a shot.
I like their Preformed Bodyboard blank where the rocker and the concave are already there, I m not a great shaper myself so it would be easier for me.
What kind of leash do you use on your paulownia board ?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

zensuni wrote:krusher74 , thanks for the link, it is indeed quite cheap and I think I could give it a shot.
I like their Preformed Bodyboard blank where the rocker and the concave are already there, I m not a great shaper myself so it would be easier for me.

I use any standard bodyboard bicep leash , but I prefer this https://www.toobs.com/shop/factory/leas ... bicep-pro/ as it has a velcro attachment rather than tied on so easy to take on and off.
In 2ft and under i dont use a leash. but in 23 years surfing I have only been hit by the board less than 10 times, I think over the years you learn how to fall and know where it is. I also think the leash being attached to your lower bicep is much better as with a wrist leash you tend to pull on it with you arm when you fall off possibly dragging it back at yourself fast.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

zensuni wrote: But I noticed that this board doesn't have a leash plug, so I definitely won't by it.
You can buy a EZ-Plug and glue it on. There might be a local equivalent.

#360 isn't cheap but freight from Hawaii would be a killer, as I've found out the hard way.

Junkman, where do you usually surf?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

krusher74 wrote:
zensuni wrote:krusher74 , thanks for the link, it is indeed quite cheap and I think I could give it a shot.
I use any standard bodyboard bicep leash , but I prefer this https://www.toobs.com/shop/factory/leas ... bicep-pro/ as it has a velcro attachment rather than tied on so easy to take on and off.
In 2ft and under i dont use a leash. but in 23 years surfing I have only been hit by the board less than 10 times, I think over the years you learn how to fall and know where it is. I also think the leash being attached to your lower bicep is much better as with a wrist leash you tend to pull on it with you arm when you fall off possibly dragging it back at yourself fast.
I use a surfboard leash strapped around my wrist (5 or 6 ft. leash depending upon surf size). Having it around the wrist does make retrieval easier, but the only dangers of a wrist leash is having too short leash of 3 to 4 ft (in head+ surf) which can snaps back quickly. This is more consequential for a hard board than a boogie/body board. Many of the coil leashes are shorter than velcro strap surfboard leashes (light & soft boogie/body board hitting you is not so consequential).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

rodndtube wrote:
krusher74 wrote:
I use a surfboard leash strapped around my wrist (5 or 6 ft. leash depending upon surf size). Having it around the wrist does make retrieval easier, but the only dangers of a wrist leash is having too short leash of 3 to 4 ft (in head+ surf) which can snaps back quickly. This is more consequential for a hard board than a boogie/body board. Many of the coil leashes are shorter than velcro strap surfboard leashes (light & soft boogie/body board hitting you is not so consequential).
I guess you just get used to a 6ft leash attached to your wrist, seem like an unneeded handycap to me. Are you guys getting hit by your board a lot? happens to me less than once a year and that surfing over 100 times a year. Here is a good video of the benefits of the bicep leash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO9aIOvxyd8