Design evolution - part 1

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Re: Design evolution - part 1

Unread post by CHRISPI »

I absolutely love this subject. And this forum holds huge amounts of information and in site much more than Swaylocks I think, they seem stuck on the same old tack forever. My can you improve body boards experiment has been running for about 20 years. The saying the more you know the more you know you don’t know has more meaning now than when I started this naive slightly egotistical project. I now have this large collection of past experiments and knowledge but I never collated it .That is the number one block to my project is verifiable performance parameters I’m not 100% certain about what’s going on under my boards .There are a few flat water flow pressure shots around but not on a vertically jacked water face . The only parameter I have is doing board swops in the water, when I get on the latest body boards, I am impressed with the bouncy for their size but fell like a wet blanket when riding. My boards have a hard crisp very connected felling when riding. I think the transition zone between been in and on top of the water is the most over looked part of wave riding, it happens twice on every ride cycle. I think???
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

I think the trailing edge should be as tin as possible , but makes serious injury possible but what is the cost for breaking out of the envelop , My leading edge has put 15 stitches in a carelessly dangled leg in the line-up . I have been experimenting trying to inlay Mylar strips into the trailing edge getting fish like fin geometry with some safety .
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Howdy...no vids, don't charge anything over 10ft "Californian", ride Thomas Patrick T-Belly G4, don't ride anything without fins. Is there a point to your questions?
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Hello Papa Paepo o ,

My background was stand-up surfboards. I've never tried to do a spinner in my life. Guys who have ridden boogie boards like Krusher & Trevor, probably do them routinely on their finless boards. My boards are also longer than theirs so I suspect spinners would be more difficult - but I could be wrong. I watched some recent video of Mike Stewart and he uses them very functionally. I've been meaning to post up a link.

Hello Nomastomas,

I don't think it was just reduced volume - I also reduced width. An alaia or a HPD and the paipo ridden in Hawaii can scoot.
Yesterday I was thinking of adding some width but retaining some scoop in the deck. A discussion I've not had with the shaper as I haven't fully tested out the latest board. I have a suspicion that I've been riding the board in the wrong sorts of waves - time will tell. The other variable, which was present on my fastest board, was a flat-as bottom. Later boards have had concave or concave + wings. My quest has been a board that duckdives with ease, is fast and can ride a tube.

Hello Chrispi,
The other big variable with your boards is obviously the foil. I'd be curious to see how the base went without a foil.

Bob
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Sorry I seem to have got sweped away thierrrr I so whant to be normal and talk with the big boys
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

I don't know what you are apologizing about or who the big boys are - I'm still tring to understand your comment: "That looks very nice , all it needs is to finish all the release points or were the water leaves the board with a taper".

I was wondering whether this design is ideally suited to your foils or whether you have tried it on boards without foils , hence my comment.
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger
City: Gold Coast

Unread post by SURFFOILS »

Interesting you mention a thin trailing edge, I found that a thicker trailing edge gives more run out onto the shoulder.
I like volume, flat bottoms, soft front rails and squared off trailing edges.Not very fashionable, but it's maximised for speed.
------------------------------------------------------------------
surffoil@gmail.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Surffoils,

How thick at the tail?

Bob
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Can’t explain myself so I added some more thin trailing edges to my favourite board
Attachments
GOPR2421 (2).JPG
GOPR2424.JPG
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger
City: Gold Coast

Unread post by SURFFOILS »

Hi Bob, I see the trailing edge as the last buoyancy of the board. As you slow it naturally drops at the tail but by keeping the tail as thick as you can it delays that drop so you get more projection, especially off the wave into a channel or over a flat spot.
CHRISPI, your boards just kill me. I love the shape. So cool and exciting to consider the possibilities.
------------------------------------------------------------------
surffoil@gmail.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Thanks Chrispi.

It would be interesting to see, throughout a ride, where your board is in relation to a wave.

Brett,
The last couple of boards I have really want to be ridden on a rail, particularly the last board. Trying to do a cutback, any other way results in a tail drift - whether finned or finless.

No doubt someone has pointed this out to you: http://www.theinertia.com/surf/kai-lenn ... ogie-foil/
It's a bit like the shortboard revolution.