Can't help myself

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Re: Can't help myself

Unread post by nomastomas »

Yes...the process is more Zen/meditative than a race.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Unread post by Pes78 »

Here's what I came up with today, I shaped the board in my head for two weeks while waiting for the blank and this isn't what was in my mind. Dims are 4'6" 22.75 1.75" belly in the nose to flat to single through the fins. Slight concave deck with fins set at 4" and 1/8" toe twin fin. I used the marko wake surf blank, I hadn't shaped EPS for quite awhile. I didn't listen to myself and take two shaping sessions to do what I wanted to do. Not sure where I stand with shaping now think I'll take a long break from it.
Attachments
paipo.jpg
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

A blank has been ordered.......
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Pes78 wrote:A blank has been ordered.......
Smile :)
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Here's what we got going today. Need to rework the outline a bit because there are a couple issues in the nose and tail that I want to fix. Dims are right now 4' x 22" thickness about 1.5". Slight concave deck bottom is flat and I'll be having bonzer 3 fin side fins glassed on. Will update final dims tomorrow when I finish it up.
Attachments
todaypaipo.jpeg
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

So the bottom was a bit messed up yesterday and I attempted to flatten it out today. Didn't feel like chasing things so it's a bit of belly with some double through the fins. Fins are set 4" off the tail and 2" off rail. Toed in .25" with 5 degrees cant. Redid the nose by cutting down the length 2".
Attachments
IMG_20180204_105606_183.jpg
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Looking forward to seeing the finned-up version.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

That should a good size for you PEZ.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Papa Paepo o wrote:Looks good, clean rockers. My boards are 1/2" thick but there's some rider's rides 3/8" thick. Thin boards are easier for control and maneuvers than thicker boards.
Aloha, I cut and shape boards that are 3/8" thick and of course easier to control and maneuvers than thick board.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Picked this up a couple weeks ago. Been pretty bad wave wise down here only had it out twice I think.
Attachments
fins2.jpeg
fins.jpeg
npaipobottom.jpeg
npaipo.jpeg
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

I think you will have fun on a lot of waves. Nice Cove Pad.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Had some decent waves Thursday morning caught a head high wave and I just flew down the line for about a 100 yds. Board held a line real good. Thanks Rod the cove pads are the best.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

So the last time I said I was taking a break from shaping I lasted 3 months. I'm thinking of shaping another board(I've lasted 8 months without shaping anything). I also like working with Tony who shaped my last board since he's not afraid of shaping things out of the box. I don't know what to do at this point because I really want to shape something that I really will be happy with. I wish I still had that single fin hull still but I put in a shop not to really sell just for storage because I didn't have room for it. Just need advice on what to do.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Pes78 wrote:. Just need advice on what to do.

Its a good looking board, must fly with that wide tail.

Maybe if you give us a list of what it does not do well we could throw in some ideas of what we would do to that design to make it do those things better.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

If your talking about the hull I didn't keep it long enough to really get a feel for it. I got one wave at Steamer lane on it and I felt out of control going up and down the face which I thought was because I didn't have a big enough fin. I was running a Greenough 7" 4A was going to get a 8 or 9. That was the only wave I really remember on it. My bonzer board trying to sell that one because the nose rocker is too low in the nose. If the wave gets steep I have pull up on the nose to keep from spraying water in front of me. I don't think I've kept a board longer than a year. I think part my problem is I have so many ideas in my head that I want to try them all and sometimes try to put multiple ideas into one board. On such short boards thats hard to do and I end up messing something up with out noticing until its glassed, thats when the flaws usually show up. I think my last two I went in the shaping room telling myself to keep it simple with a completely flat bottom but that not what I end up doing of course. :lol:
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Pes78 wrote:If your talking about the hull I didn't keep it long enough to really get a feel for it. I got one wave at Steamer lane on it and I felt out of control going up and down the face which I thought was because I didn't have a big enough fin. I was running a Greenough 7" 4A was going to get a 8 or 9. That was the only wave I really remember on it. My bonzer board trying to sell that one because the nose rocker is too low in the nose. If the wave gets steep I have pull up on the nose to keep from spraying water in front of me. I don't think I've kept a board longer than a year. I think part my problem is I have so many ideas in my head that I want to try them all and sometimes try to put multiple ideas into one board. On such short boards thats hard to do and I end up messing something up with out noticing until its glassed, thats when the flaws usually show up. I think my last two I went in the shaping room telling myself to keep it simple with a completely flat bottom but that not what I end up doing of course. :lol:
I was talking about every aspect of the board. :lol:

if your rolling the design dice every board then as you know hitting the jackpot will be long odds.

Is a fun process to keep making boards when you can afford to, but can be a bit of a kick in the balls when the first surf you feel "yep, this does not work!"

To be my usual broken record I ride finless, so when I hear "I didn't have a big enough fin" I feel that more than having a fin too small its more, your maybe not engaging the fin you have, from either it being on the wrong place on the board or you not positioned on the board to engage the fin. On every finned board I have tried i've had to be in a place on the board to engage the fin that feels the wrong place for engaging every other aspect of the board :? positioning fins is one aspect of board design i'm really happy I dont have to deal with as i feel it can probably destroy a board that otherwise very good.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

krusher74 wrote:To be my usual broken record I ride finless, so when I hear "I didn't have a big enough fin" I feel that more than having a fin too small its more, your maybe not engaging the fin you have, from either it being on the wrong place on the board or you not positioned on the board to engage the fin. On every finned board I have tried i've had to be in a place on the board to engage the fin that feels the wrong place for engaging every other aspect of the board :? positioning fins is one aspect of board design i'm really happy I dont have to deal with as i feel it can probably destroy a board that otherwise very good.
In late 60's to mid 70's I did tons of fin experimentation on stand-up boards. And my biggest take away was that tiny changes in fin shape/area distribution, total area, and placement can generate gigantic changes in how the board performed. Statistically, the fewer variables involved, the more likely you are to hit on a magic combination of them. And just the fin alone (and its placement) is huge bucket of variables.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens wrote:
krusher74 wrote:To be my usual broken record I ride finless, so when I hear "I didn't have a big enough fin" I feel that more than having a fin too small its more, your maybe not engaging the fin you have, from either it being on the wrong place on the board or you not positioned on the board to engage the fin. On every finned board I have tried i've had to be in a place on the board to engage the fin that feels the wrong place for engaging every other aspect of the board :? positioning fins is one aspect of board design i'm really happy I dont have to deal with as i feel it can probably destroy a board that otherwise very good.
In late 60's to mid 70's I did tons of fin experimentation on stand-up boards. And my biggest take away was that tiny changes in fin shape/area distribution, total area, and placement can generate gigantic changes in how the board performed. Statistically, the fewer variables involved, the more likely you are to hit on a magic combination of them. And just the fin alone (and its placement) is huge bucket of variables.
Most definitely, i'm glad that's one aspect I don't have to deal with. ;)

the main pivot point if i am correct is under the rear foot of the stand up surfer at the rear fin , where do you think it is for a prone rider. I know knee boarders have fin further forward and some drop knee body boarders have fins very far forward.
Attachments
bodyboard-01.jpg
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

And the Vektor has the board designed to position the foot over the the fin with the foot forward and the trailing foot over the trailing fin.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

That's where I get caught up trying a couple ideas on each board. On my cork board there are a few times where I'm slip sliding around but at least I know its because I don't have the rail engaged. But once I do I'm good. I have a wood paipo on the way and it seems I have less to think about on the finless boards. Heck Roberts surfboards has a fin setup called the twonzer and I was thinking of trying that setup. But I doubt he'll give me the fin placement :lol: I think at this point I need to figure out what I'm going to do next shape another or have one shaped.