Can't help myself

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Can't help myself

Unread post by Pes78 »

So I ordered another blank today, going with 5'10 RP Blue density stringerless poly blank. It will be a hybrid of a kneeboard and paipo, planning on splitting the difference from what all my other boards have been. Dims will be 5' 22" 2.75" out at the rails and 2.25-2" in the center of the concave deck. Bottom will be a bit different with two channels down each side of the center getting deeper as you get closer to the tail. Will run it as a twin and glassing with be epoxy. S cloth top and bottom with a vector net patch were the deck pad will be. Will post some pics when I start the board in a couple weeks, I'm shaping it up at Basham's and can only get up there on the weekends.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Re: Can't help myself

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Hi Paul, I also want build a 5 footer, after my next board. I saw this at a used rack local at a local shop. It is a Haut Batman. I was and still am tempted to buy it. It is 5' x 21 1/2 x 2 1/2 with thin rails. It is 18 /12 at 1 foot from the nose and tail. But it is a little thin in the tail and nose. And the thick point is a little far back for me, as I like ride very far forward on my board. Anyway it has a pretty nice shape. The nose rocker is about 4" the tail is about 1".
Attachments
IMG_20170326_142938998.jpg
IMG_20170326_142914625.jpg
IMG_20170326_142833137.jpg
IMG_20170326_142808395.jpg
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

That looks like a good shape. My rockers will be 3" N and 1.25" T, not sure about 12" measurements just yet. May put the wide point back from center 2" or so for better support when I knee ride it.
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

Looks good, clean rockers. My boards are 1/2" thick but there's some rider's rides 3/8" thick. Thin boards are easier for control and maneuvers than thicker boards.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Good luck Paul. Looking forward to seeing your latest incarnation.
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

hi JBW if you don't buy that Haut do you mind letting me know where that board is located at
I would be interested to know more about it as well
thks
its all about the ride
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Hi, Sorry i didn't respond sooner. I saw it at Mollusk surf shop in San Francisco. It was $440.00. Haut sells them new for $750.00 .
http://hautsurfboards.com/
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Thanks JBW
called up the store but unfortunately they do not ship and pack boards
I am an expatriate coming back to the US on a business trip to Houston and I thought I could arrange for the board to be
at my brothers home for when I got there but it looks like it won't be happening
:( :( :| :|
its all about the ride
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Well shaped the board yesterday and didn't come out the way I was planning so had to rethink a couple things. I was trying to get that rounded bottom you see in the greenough flex spoons so I shaped the bottom rail bands first turning them up to 70%. Then doing the top rails at 30% but it didn't work as planned. It's tough doing things without having enough knowledge of what I'm doing. This may be the last one I shape. Ended up with a 4'6 22" thickness unknown. Good amount of roll going into vee, will be running it as a single fin and it has a concave deck. No pics of the deck, I was a bit frusterated with it.
hull1.jpg
hull2.jpg
hull3.jpg
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

I applaud your ambition! And, it looks like you pretty much nailed the bottom. The more the shape differs from the the blank used, the more difficult the shaping. Most blanks are flat on the bottom, some even have slight concave. Going to a deep convex/belly bottom is a difficult task. I was taught to always start with the bottom, since that's the "functional" side, while the deck is more aesthetics. You don't want to run out of foam before all the bottom contours are in place. I still use guide marks when doing rail bands. It forces me to think through rail foil and helps me to identify the rail apex (that 1/2" flat band created by the outline). That flat outline band is the last to go, and marks the transition between the bottom bands and the deck bands. It also represent the outline, so you want to avoid touching it until the very last so as not to lose the outline shape.

Don't get discouraged. Learn from your mistakes and move on. If shaping were easy, everyone would be doing it. When you get stuck, ask someone for help. I've found that most shapers, professional and amateur alike, are eager to pass on their knowledge. They may not share their "secret sauce", but they'll help you with the basics.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

I like it. I like that u used the word May in your statement, because I know it won't be. Listen to nomas.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Soulglider...you have the "hull" shape down. Maybe you can enlighten all of us on some shaping basics for convex bottoms?

Pez...one more thing, I find prone boards the most difficult of all shapes. Why? Because their short dimensions don't allow much room for "transitions", those spaces between changes in form and shape.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Paul, I think it will ride fine. The first board of any new style is us kind of a proto type for me. I haven't tried a hull yet. Bring it to the get together in October.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Well I think some of my frustration is that I've had this obsession with doing a flex spoon/greenough inspired board for a long time. I was really hoping to get it done on this one, maybe I put to much pressure on myself with it. Nomas you are correct with if shaping was easy everyone would do it. The place I used to shape at there were a lot of one and done people there. There's only a hand full of people that are making multiple boards a year. And yes the transitions are really tough if you have a lot going on in the board. Soulglider as the title of the thread says, you be right on that one was just bummed about it not going the way I hoped. JBS46000 I will more than likely have the board with me as I'm only "allowing" myself to do 2 boards a year and this is #2.
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

The best I can do to have you google flex spoon. You'll find all the information there somewhere. And just shape shape shape.
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Worked on another one today 5'x22" unknown thickness. Concave deck and double concave through the fins.
Attachments
bottom2.jpg
concavedeck.jpg
outline2.jpg
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

That's your best one yet!
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Nice Paul. However....my ride preference remains the Nomastomas wider at the tail with pivot point further back. For me his design provides more support/stability/maneuverability in the wave without any sacrifice in speed. To each his own.
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

I think I never put finished pictures up of my boards just roughed out ones. Thanks James and Steven with this being somewhat of a mashup off a kneeboard/paipo I kept it more of a knneboard as far as outline goes. Nose and tail widths are 18" at 12" back, maybe Nomas can confirm his tails are around 19" or 20". Plus having more of my body out of the water with the added length having a wider tail may be harder to turn.
Attachments
finishedbottom.jpg
finisheddeck.jpg
Pes78
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Pes78 »

Looked at the t belly I had and it was close to 23 wide in the tail. Forgot to mention the fins are set at 9" up and 1.75" off the rail with 1/8th toe