my first paipo 44

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: my first paipo 44

Unread post by bgreen »

Speaking of Larry Goddard's designs, a number of my boards have been based on his designs:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=746

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=746&start=10#p7081

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=797

From the original board, my boards are thinner (and foam distribution has shifted forward), have smaller fins and bottoms are no longer flat, with a foil more similar to a stand-up board. Wings are another addition. There have been other experiments - scoop deck, deck handle.

I'm very happy with my latest board. It is worth recalling that Larry made his boards to go fast and do sweeping turns, at his favourite wave Makaha. They weren't made for tubes .
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

GeoffreyLevens wrote:I had similar on small motorcycle (Honda 90 in 1970), horizontal board mount. Couple "U" shaped brackets attached by bolt on to the frame.
Oops, just realized your pics above show the board surface perpendicular to direction of travel on the bike. Mine was side mounted so that it rode along one side of bike somewhat same position as walking with it under your arm only lower down. I had one like that on the right on the motorbike and on the left on bicycle. Both worked ok but with the wind issues for sure
Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 3.52.19 AM.png
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

Unread post by asier esnal »

In Spain it is illegal to take surfboards on motorcycles, in France if you can
Attachments
41cbm0t7MLL.jpg
41cbm0t7MLL.jpg (51.7 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Speaking of Larry Goddard's designs, a number of my boards have been based on his designs:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=746

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=746&start=10#p7081

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=797

From the original board, my boards are thinner (and foam distribution has shifted forward), have smaller fins and bottoms are no longer flat, with a foil more similar to a stand-up board. Wings are another addition. There have been other experiments - scoop deck, deck handle.

I'm very happy with my latest board. It is worth recalling that Larry made his boards to go fast and do sweeping turns, at his favourite wave Makaha. They weren't made for tubes .
I have read the work you have done and it has served as an incentive for me to do mine, a great job and good explanations. Congratulations
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

asier esnal wrote:In Spain it is illegal to take surfboards on motorcycles, in France if you can
Too bad because so much more aerodynamic that way, less drag, less turbulence. How about 1 wheeled or 2 wheeled light trailer? Axel and wheel size of course could be less "heavy duty" depending on roads and distance you would be traveling.
mule-paddle-surfboard-trailer.jpg
mule-paddle-surfboard-trailer.jpg (91.71 KiB) Viewed 3913 times
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

work today. the 2
paipo, large, 52x19x2.1 concave with flat center, from nose to tail. Chamfer on the sides
paipo small 46x21x2.2 nose bee to concave w in the middle at the end

I have cut a piece of eps in the form of a maipo to 42 and it is really bulky, to that extent it is more interesting to make a bodyboard in eps fiberglass

I can not put anything on the motorcycle, or supports of any kind, the beach I have far away to go by bike and tired bolber home, but I think that with these measures and driving slowly I can fix them
Attachments
31376087_1824536404277119_433553777182638080_n.jpg
31346553_1824536527610440_4099003073748271104_n.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Asier,

Do you know anyone you could store your board for you at the beach. I've had contact with some Basque surfers who might be able to assist?

Bob
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Asier,

Do you know anyone you could store your board for you at the beach. I've had contact with some Basque surfers who might be able to assist?

Bob
the beach of the zurriola there are places to leave tables with shower ,,, this very well but cost 320e a year, a lot of money for the few days that I can go to the beach.

I'm going to try the paipos and the motorbike, I hope I can go to the beach safely. thank you very much
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

I was thinking free storage.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I have found 2 models of fins that can be very interesting at a low price

https://www.k4fins.com/product/sharkii-fronts/ Available in 8, 9, 10 and 12cm with MT, US, SB (Slotbox/Starbox) and SB

https://www.k4fins.com/product/rocket-fronts-trailers/ Available in 8, 10, 12 and 13cm

bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

An alternative approach to carrying a paipo.

This board, based on John Galera's NoFin waverider was made by Jason Oliver. Photos show the basics of the mechanism

http://jasonoliverwoodensurfboards.blog ... oards.html

Swaylocks has lots of bisect posts

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/better ... -surfboard

https://www.swaylocks.com/forums/anothe ... and?page=1

Photos removed from Pierre's efforts:

https://www.swaylocks.com/groups/portab ... l-mini-log
Attachments
Bisect_screw1.jpg
Bisect_screw1.jpg (9.82 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
bisect_3.jpg
bisect_3.jpg (29.73 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
bisect3.jpg
bisect3.jpg (80.82 KiB) Viewed 4009 times
Papa Paepo o
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: Hi.
Interests: building & riding Papa Paepo`o (Paipo) Boards. All types and sizes, I even rode a abandon 4'ft - 8'ft. plywood that adrift from a commercial fishing boat in Kewalo Basin, O`ahu in the year of 1996.

Unread post by Papa Paepo o »

asier esnal wrote:Good morning. I do not know much English and I'm using the Google translator, sorry for the phrases that are not understood
I want to introduce myself, my name is Asier and I live in the Basque country. well known for the waves like zurriola, zarautz .. and good food, I live very close to the French coast

For years I surfed with short boards and longboards through egg, but I have changed my home and I do not have fast access to the beach, I have to go by motorcycle, a scooter and we are forbidden to take the surfboards

This has given me enough courage to change the modality to the paipo, which I was looking forward to, we have tides, waves and very unfavorable wind conditions for surfing but with paipo or bodyboard you can take a good test to those waves

with all this I have designed a paipo of maximum size that I can take in my small motorbike 44, to design it.
As I do not know much about this, I copied a photo of a modern bodyboard to solidworks Science Bodyboards Style on their page they also offer them, thank you very much for this detail. I have taken the measurements for this design, then I have added a rounded nose to give the look paipo that I like so much

design made of eps epoxy and fiberglass, paipo 44, can not be larger x 21.5. but not the thickness, volume or liters it has to have. my measurements are European 1.77 m tall the man to the ground 106 cm weight 73 kg

with a thickness of 50mm it gives me a volume of 24.3. 53mm 25.8l and 55mm 26.8l

is going to be a paipo for fast waves, waves from 1m to 2.5m but there is a brutal massification of surfers and bodyboard so it has to have enough volume to compete in the capture of waves, I know this is not very ethical, cordial , not nice, but in the water there are days of fights and punches

I do not know if you know these studies of hydrodynamics for surfboards. I have made a few surfboards with this form of songs and they are fantastic, the best I have ever tried. I passed the link of your page
http://www.cambersurfboards.com/home/ld-technical/

I have made a plan in solidworks of the project of paipo, the keels will go in boxes of longboard keels of 10 inches long that I have to spare

but I do not know where to put them, 5 inches starting from the tail, this is already entering into a fine detail, and even if it is not even if the model is correct

I'm willing to redesign the entire paipo if needed, I'm looking for an updated Austin Paipo design, for example, so I added this tail shape so typical of the boyboard

I want to thank you for all the information you share, it is a real pleasure to be able to read your experiences, I hope I also contribute something in this great forum
Well I see you getting help from the right group. Have you ever tried shaping and riding a wood board. It has a different feeling from foam surfboard. When you add skegs to what you call paipo is no longer a paipo. It becomes a kneeboard or bodyboard.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

Hi there, I'm from Bordeaux, in France too, I have been riding plywood paipos for a few years, maybe I can give you some tips from my short experience.
First I think you should consider testing on a simple plywood board, with no fins, just to make sure that you like the feeling of it.
To me, one of the best advantage of paipo riding is the feeling of speed, given by the fact that the flat piece of hard material (plywood or fiberglass) is skimming across the wave with very few resistance. Adding fins or extra concave may add extra control but also drag, and that's not something you want in small conditions.

Checkout my youtube channel, I filmed some tests I made: https://www.youtube.com/user/pantone95330/
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Zensuni, where were those clips made? I did not fully recognize the area but my experience was limited to paipo surfing Lacanau Plage Nord, Carcans Plage, and Plage Gurp (interesting!).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

rodndtube wrote:Zensuni, where were those clips made? I did not fully recognize the area but my experience was limited to paipo surfing Lacanau Plage Nord, Carcans Plage, and Plage Gurp (interesting!).
It seems you know the area pretty well :)
Some of them were made at Lacanau plage centrale, some others were made a little bit norther, at Royan, in the Gironde estuary. It is a spot where I often surf in the winter as waves are smaller there, when it is too big for me at Lacanau. Both are beach breaks, but waves are very different, Lacanau is open ocean so the waves are hollower and have way more punch. Royan with its gentle waves is perfect for testing new boards ;)
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

my english is disgusting, forgive A few weeks ago I hurt my wrist working, I'm a boilermaker, I could not do anything of the paipo, to work hard and go to work. but I'm fine

morning or past im going to glasser the paipos. I'm not very good at working with epoxy.

I took a little time and with a 3mm aluminum sheet I made 2 fins. They weigh the same as the bee panel fins. and the sheet of 3 gives a very very good flexibility, the only downside is that they do not have hydrodynamic form

about the hydrodynamics and the effect in the turns I made a small study with the free program xflr5
  The result has been amazing. I do not appreciate differences between a sheet and a gora shape unless the thickness of the hydrodynamic fins has a thickness of at least 12%

in the photo I present a comparatiba of 2 hydrodynamic profiles, one of 3% and another of 8%, the 12 if it makes a difference but no keels are made so fat, so I have not added it because it does not confuse.

therefore a keel in sheet will have to give the same result as a traditional, that if, they are ugly to the eye, but very fast to do and very cheap

the fins shape is por paipo 2 meters waves. tomorrow I will make other 2 smaller and more vertical
Attachments
fin test.jpg
fin test.jpg (49.38 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
32538555_1842022209195205_2058381935809396736_n.jpg
32538555_1842022209195205_2058381935809396736_n.jpg (108.85 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
32530723_1842022245861868_8525557387329798144_n.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Good to hear you are feeling better and the boards are progressing.

You may need to explain the test results - I wasn't sure how to interpret them? Surffoils makes prototype fins in aluminium.

Have you looked at this site - https://www.finfoil.io/

Regarding carrying boards, these guys aren't cheap but they may do the job: http://koraloc.com/
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Https://www.finfoil.io/ I use the solidworks program to design the keels, I can import photos and copy or modify them. I can also do basic hydrodynamics studies, the xflr5 program also does these functions and is free. very very good to design hydrofoils

The ends of a surfboard work exactly like the wings of a plane, and follow the same formulas

the wings when leaning at a certain angle exert a sustaining force, which makes a plane fly, but it depends on the profile of the wing and its speed, at a critical angle it stops doing an eject and goes into a loss or an auger,

that means that if a plane wants to take off in a very radical way to a vertical position it has many possibilities of falling to the ground

in the surf fins the same thing happens, when we do a carber swab, the keels drive the board, but if we make a turn I look for it, they stop doing it and a loss of traction is created, a skid a snap

in the graphic I have represented the profile of a normal keel and the aluminum sheet

on the vertical axis is the cl axis. this gives us the data of the strength that the profile makes,. in the horizontal axis is the angle to which the fins works

we see that at a greater angle the keel exerts more force but at 7 degrees both in the aluminum plate and in the traditional keel they stop working and the snap is created.

this gives me the conclusion that the aluminum sheets can be a good fast form and baraa to make central keels

as I'm always using the google translator, apologize for not knowing English, it's a pending task that I'm not good at

the 3.33 minute is the moment when the fins stops working and is created in snap
the previous section would be bleary for a lateral fins since a central fins when this parallel does not produce lift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDeQXPNpLeY
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

I watched the video but came away wondering the applicability of the wing analogy. A plane mightn't be able to fly without wings but a BB can be ridden without fins. The forces and elements involved are so different. The concepts of drag, lift and angle of attack are relevant to board design, but to what extent? I have a mate experimenting with fins that have the reverse of normal foil.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I could not stand it. I had this form of fins on my head and I gave it 3mm aluminum. The idea is to reduce vortex as much as possible. Turbulence at the tip of the keel
the big one has 4.7 and the small one 4.5 inches, but its area is very different. mount 2 parallel to the central axis with a separation of 220 between them more or less

I have doubts to which distance of the tail to put them 3 inches is well? I think that is the standard?

I already have the 2 faces of the 2 laminated paipos, the week that has polish, mount us box .... I have a lot of work ahead
Attachments
32752109_1844868535577239_4932395207854391296_o.jpg
32752109_1844868535577239_4932395207854391296_o.jpg (114.42 KiB) Viewed 3905 times