paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

Unread post by asier esnal »

First paipo prototype made in paulowia polyester and fiberglass. It has been much better than expected
I want to thank Sergi Flama Galanó and Patxi Navarro for their great help and all of you from the forum that make it so great

the paipo is a 44x21.5x18mm of paulowia on a single board, I put it on top of a board with a block on the end, 90mm rocker. I have refined it I have not done any previous treatment, neither heat nor wet, I have counted it to contrabeta is the most important of this idea

I have enfibrado with a cloth on each side of 6 oz and uv polyester. After the release, there is a 60mm rocker with an elastic bed flex, very noble, not bamboo type. when putting fiber and resin has picked up weight, it has remained in 3.2kg

I leave you a video of flex, I do not know how I can do it so that you see it directly in the forum

https://www.facebook.com/asier.esnal.9/ ... =3&theater
Attachments
47174332_288187345235207_3375235341307871232_n.jpg
47174332_288187345235207_3375235341307871232_n.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 6195 times
47178795_1433738866755996_4298199641142329344_n.jpg
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Re: paulownia + polyester+ fiberglass: rocker and flex

it's already finished, I'm a little afraid of the weight, it's been 4kg counting the fins and everything. Will it float enough? I have to find a way to lighten

You can remove the fiberglass and resin and paste a thin sheet of melamine, synthetic wood imitation veneer and many colors to make furniture
Attachments
47050583_2117822661615157_7099055347960119296_n.jpg
47075038_2117822618281828_8181350796898598912_n (1).jpg
47075038_2117822618281828_8181350796898598912_n (1).jpg (72.45 KiB) Viewed 6191 times
47062852_2117822748281815_6753201092110057472_n.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Treat it as an experiment. Try it without fins. It may be too heavy as you don't need to even glass pauwlonia. Oiling them can give a good finish.

Without fins and fibreglass these are low flotation boards - they will have their place. You won't be outpaddling SUPs.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

to get the rocker and that flex I have to cut the wood in contraction direction to the feed, if I do not give fiberglass part by just touching it,

I do not like the paipos without fins, nor the bodyboard, I hate the lateral displacements and skids
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Do you use google translate? I'm not sure what you mean by: "if I do not give fiberglass part by just touching it,"

You'll find these thin wood boards don't spin out like foam boards or boogie might. They are a different craft and sit in the water more.

The real test is in the water.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Do you use google translate? yes, unfortunately I have no ability to learn English, I have tried . I have dyslexia, this gives me a very restless mind with a lot of creativity, but it prevents me from writing and reading. I can not have everything in life, I'm happy as I am

I'm not sure what you mean by: "if I do not give fiberglass part by just touching it," the wood is terribly weak,

They are a different craft and sit in the water more.: I'm very happy to hear this. I'm going to give the paipo a few hours in the water to draw conclusions, maybe with only 2 keels and smaller make the function, I always have time to put another 2 plugs in the middle of the 4 that I have put.

the paulowia costs me 20e per paipo, it allows me to make a few paipos

Thank you very much for the recommendations
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Ok, if I understand you correctly, you are saying you needed to glass the board, because the wood is too weak. It is a light wood but shouldn't be too soft (you shouldn't be able to squeeze it and make a dent).

Try the board - you'll soon know if it works or not. If it doesn't paddle too well, it may be a shorebreak board.

Enjoy the ride.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Bob, I think he meant that it needed glass because he cut it out so that the grain runs across the width of the board to increase flex; but that weakens it considerably so--glass. I really like the look of the flex in the video/FB link. Nice and springy.

Asier esnal, thin wood board like that one, the edges can act as fin if you properly use your hips and hands to push them into the water/wave face. It is a different style or method of controlling the board than for one with fins. And no fins is faster! ;)
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

I spent a bunch of time in Ecuador. Though I knew a little Spanish and was studying it, I had to use google translate a couple times for critical banking issues and it would have been hilarious if there hadn't been so much of my life's savings on the line! Total slap stick comedy with officious, Kafkaesque, bank prigs and regulations.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

GeoffreyLevens

Bob, I think he meant that it needed glass because he cut it out so that the grain runs across the width of the board to increase flex; but that weakens it considerably so--glass. I really like the look of the flex in the video/FB link. Nice and springy.

perfect, that's what I wanted to say, I feel the confusion, I do not know how to solve my writings in English, I'm really sorry
Attachments
30x70 (1).png
30x70 (1).png (384.78 KiB) Viewed 5862 times
Last edited by asier esnal on Sun May 05, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

these are some image captures for which you can not see the video
Attachments
70x301.png
30x70.png
30x70.png (496.07 KiB) Viewed 6178 times
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Thanks Geoffrey, this may have been explained previously and I missed it.

Time will tell whether working cross grained is a good idea or not.

If the boards are too heavy, consider, working with the grain and a different finish.

How they surf will be the test.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I have seen this carbon fiber. laminated directly with the hotcoat: carbon fiber + polyester + paraffin, I think I can lighten the weight.

Vector Net XP 227 - 1/2" Diamond Pattern (50cm)

I do not know if with this carbon cloth I will have such good results compared to 6oz fiberglass
Attachments
vector-net-xp-227-1-2-diamond-pattern-50cm (2).jpg
vector-net-xp-227-1-2-diamond-pattern-50cm (2).jpg (143.41 KiB) Viewed 6169 times
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

asier esnal wrote:perfect, that's what I wanted to say, I feel the confusion, I do not know how to solve my writings in English, I'm really sorry
No apology necessary. I have felt the confusion and chaos of trying to communicate in someone else's language. Some people can just pick up other languages with ease. Not me though! After 1 1/2 years of one or two hours a day study and talking to people on the street and in shops, I could just about deal with shopping for groceries, ordering food in a restaurant, or telling a taxi driver where I wanted to go. More than that I was drowning in a stormy sea :lol:
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Communication even between English speakers can be difficult. I've had people in NZ, Canada and the US not be able to understand me.

It's often helpful to translate something and then translate it back into the original language and see if it makes sense.

Rod and I have done a couple of bi-lingual interviews - he's working on a French& English one currently. An option is to make a post in Spanish and add the English translation. A good opportunity to improve our Spanish.

I've also used lots of translation programs. Translate with and between programs and see which works best.

Besides google there is:

https://spanishdictionary.cc/spanish-to-english
http://webtranslation.paralink.com/Span ... anslation/
https://www.babelfish.com/

I used to use this but it's not working currently: https://www.freetranslation.com/
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:Communication even between English speakers can be difficult. I've had people in NZ, Canada and the US not be able to understand me.

It's often helpful to translate something and then translate it back into the original language and see if it makes sense.

Rod and I have done a couple of bi-lingual interviews - he's working on a French& English one currently. An option is to make a post in Spanish and add the English translation. A good opportunity to improve our Spanish.

I've also used lots of translation programs. Translate with and between programs and see which works best.

Besides google there is:

https://spanishdictionary.cc/spanish-to-english
http://webtranslation.paralink.com/Span ... anslation/
https://www.babelfish.com/

bgreen: I used to use this but it's not working currently: https://www.freetranslation.com/
An option is to make a post in Spanish and add the English translation:

It's a great idea, from now on, if it does not bother you for complicated things, I'll use this form of communication. I'm going to look at the pages that you've passed me, I want to improve, thanks again
es una gran idea, a partir de ahora, si no os molesta para las cosas complicadas usare esta forma de comunicación. voy a mirar las paginas que me has pasado, quiero mejorar, gracias de nuevo
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

bgreen wrote:It's often helpful to translate something and then translate it back into the original language and see if it makes sense.
If not helpful, at least hilarious! Trying that when I was in Ecuador was how I found out just how much trouble I was in...
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Or for more fun, type it in your language and translate to another and back but then copy the translation and paste to translate back and forth another time or two. Won't take many goes to end up with complete word salad.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

first day of test. When I got into the water, I had problems with the minimum flotation of the wooden paipo, I have never had anything like that. I've gotten used to it, but I miss something more floating. Frankenboogie has good ideas, I'm thinking about 1 inch of eva

when I have taken waves it has worked perfect, it has a sensational grip, a good and nice flex, good shape inspired by the designs of nomastomas

the roker: the work has died, it has saved me from sticking the tip of the maipo into the water a few times

fins: very happy with the navigation. I have doubts, if I put 2 large fins they will work just as well and it will be less work to make the paipo

weight: in the water or it feels as heavy as under the arm, it really has not worried me. the configuration of 6ozfiberglass + 18mm paulowia + 6ozfiberglass stays like this, I will not change anything, if it works better do not touch

tomorrow again to the water. I will comment on new sensations

es
primer día de test. cuando me he metido al agua, he tenido problemas con la mínima flotación del paipo de madera, nunca he tenido algo asi. me he acostumbrado, pero echo en falta algo más de flotación.Frankenboogie tiene buenas ideas, estoy pensando en 1 pulgada de eva

cuando he cojido olas ha funcionado perfecto, tiene un agarre sensacional, un buen y agradable flex, buen shape inspirado en los diseños de nomastomas

el roker: ha perecido la pena el trabajo, me ha salvado de clavar la punta del maipo en el agua unas cuantas veces

fins: muy contento con la navegación. tengo dudas, si pongo 2 fins grandes funcionaran igual de bien y será menos trabajo para hacer el paipo

peso: en el agua no se siente tan pesado como debajo del brazo, realmente no me ha preocupado. la configuracion de 6ozfiberglass +18mm paulowia + 6ozfiberglass se queda como esta, no voy a cambiar nada, si funciona mejor no tocar

mañana otra vez al agua. os comentare nuevas sensaciones
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Second day in the water. very happy, I have learned to go up the waves without needing the volume and the flotation, a great advance, has entered series of 1.5m and I have been able to overcome the waves very easy, so I do not need more volume, enchanted

table design: siemto 21 very wide, I have a table, I'm thinking of a second one for big waves at 19.5

fins: as this table is going to be narrower I thought of a twinfin system, to compensate for the lack of the rear keels I will put a more radical tail, with more grip, more pointed

es
segundo dia en el agua. muy contento, he aprendido ha remontar las olas sin necesitar el volumen y la flotacion, un gran avance, ha entrado series de 1.5m y he podido remontar las olas muy facil, asi que no necesito mas volumen, encantado

diseño de tabla: siemto 21 muy ancha, me sobra tabla, estoy pensando en una segunda para olas grandes en 19.5

fins: como esta tabla va a ser mas estrecha he pensado en un sistema de twinfin, para compensar la falta de las quillas trasera voy a poner un tail mas radical, con mas agarre, mas puntiagudo
Attachments
30x701.png
30x701.png (21.52 KiB) Viewed 6137 times