paipo single fin fcs 3d, choppy dais

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

paipo single fin fcs 3d, choppy dais

Unread post by asier esnal »

I had this half-finished paipo and today I was able to finish it. It is a thought in the Fins of sup fcs 3d largue, it is a fins that I had for a long time and I wanted to try it, I do not know how it works in the water, but if it is not tested it is not known. The paipo is a 43.5 x 18.5

es

tenía este paipo a medio acabar y hoy lo he podido terminar. es un diseño pensado en la quilla de sup fcs 3d largue, es una quilla que tenia desde hace mucho tiempo y la quería probar , no se que tal funcionara en el agua, pero si no se prueba no se sabe. el paipo es un 43.5 x 18.5
Attachments
60245605_394083098103074_876277468456026112_n.jpg
60191324_825945057775334_463649867156160512_n.jpg
60191324_825945057775334_463649867156160512_n.jpg (38.65 KiB) Viewed 4802 times
60048189_1858957667542818_6087551985240768512_n.jpg
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Re: paipo single fin fcs 3d, choppy dais

Unread post by nomastomas »

Belly Rider is very familiar with multi-foiled fins. Maybe he will give you some feedback.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Hi Assier -- Thomas is a very good shaper that has built for me at least 5 Kneeboards and is currently working one my 6th one- all of which I ride with either 3, or 4+1 fin configurations with the center fin as winged fin
I also bought at least three Paipo's of his --- either directly and or second hand from one of his other clients
I am a firm believer in foiled fins and yes in my collection I have BOTH sizes of the FCS 3D model-- the smaller one and the larger SUP one you are showing in the picture.
As part of my foiled fin collection I have also the matching side FCS side fins that at one point in time were sold in conjunction to the 3D smaller center fin model-- these work best as foiled fins since they are designed to be mounted in the side fin boxes of my Paipo's and grip much better in the waves face

I don't really think your center 3D SUP foiled fin model is a good choice as it has way to much surface area for the size of a Paipo and therefore creates excessive drag

Also you must ask yourself what are you trying to accomplish -- in my opinion there are two schools of thought with foiled fins
The first one is try and get the board to "fly" above the surface of the wave (good simple example is the new trend of Surf Foiling)
The second one is actually utilizing small/medium sized foiled fins to create some amount of lift to offset the weight of the rider but still maintain the boards rails ( more or less) engaged in the wave's face (THIS IS MY PREFERENCE)--
This allows the boards rail to stay engaged and allow the rider to maintain greater board control by means of edge playing an active role on the face of the wave

I am now 61 years old and my weight is 90/93 kg (with my 5mm winter wetsuit my weight can reach 100kg) my muscle mass, and my physical shape, is far lower then when I was surfing at 20 yrs old -----THUS I use PARTIAL lift force that is created by my Foil Fin collection to offset my age and lack of physical fittness, to gain down the line speed and acquire more maneuverability

I also noticed that the initial drag caused when I first paddle into the wave is very helpful when I have very late drops-- I have experienced this especially on Thomasses Kneeboards -- when I though I was really going to "bite it" (crash helplessly from vertical nose diving type takeoffs) the foiled fins create enough hold (like a small anchor) that allowed me to recuperate/reset my body position to avoid perling in the wave. Amazing feeling first I have a "stall" but then my weight plus the steepness of the wave create a great acceleration towards the bottom of the wave that allow me to eventually outrun the wave.

Recently we Thomas and I talked about this "drag" which can be an advantage on those paipo or surf vehicle boards that tend to "skip" on a wave from too much speed

Sorry if this correspondence was too long
its all about the ride
belly rider
Big Wave Charger

Center Foiled fin examples from my collection
Attachments
vbzPkjuwQIusq2YhBI7EGw.jpg
2080b01b-edbd-4df8-a550-4d9aeaf02565.jpg
its all about the ride
belly rider
Big Wave Charger

Some side foiled fin examples
I can not find my FCS 3 side fin pictures I mentioned in my original text-- if I find them I will post them for you
Attachments
Q92HIL6HQDagqDO8R8pQGw.jpg
IMG_1615.JPG
its all about the ride
belly rider
Big Wave Charger

More side fin examples