PhillyViking & Atlantasurfer have been making some boards...

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

PhillyViking & Atlantasurfer have been making some boards...

Unread post by rodndtube »

Viking should post and share with you what he has been experimenting with regards to materials, processes, shapes, etc. Doing a nice job despite being a relative novice in the building process so I have a ton of respect for that. Vacuum, linens, resins.

Likewise with AtlantaSurfer, although not as complex as Viking's, there is a beauty in simplicity of design. Wood and rubber mostly. He has been dialing in a board design for typical East Coast conditions (1-2 ft slop) and other boards for the types of waves we all dream about.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: PhillyViking & Atlantasurfer have been making some boards...

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

rodndtube wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:29 am...there is a beauty in simplicity of design.
My mind gets drawn to complex, compound curves, magic edges, vee hidden inside double concave, etc. But in 50 years of riding waves, 100% of my best, most functional, most fun boards have all been simple simple simple
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

+1
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger
City: Atlanta
State or Province: GA
Interests: books, beer, and breaking waves

Unread post by Atlantasurfer »

Hi Guys.
I did make a board this summer, but I wasn't sure if I should post it on the forums as it is mostly just a variation of the boards I have been doing for a couple of years.

This old board, the Frankenboogie mk. II was just dying of loneliness in the backyard shed.https://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewto ... ogie#p5672

It was too long and flat to make a good big wave board, and it had too little flotation to shine as a small wave craft. I cut it down to four feet and scraped off the old one inch mini cell foam. I then glued it up with one and a half inch mini cell. I think it worked pretty damn good. For travel, I'm happy with the two board system--Black Betty for smaller days and this lil' Black Betty for head high and above.

here is Black Betty aka Frankenboogie Mk. three.https://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewto ... lack+betty

Here is the new ride.
lilbb.jpg