Mini Pig

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
smells
Wave slider
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Mini Pig

Unread post by smells »

5.0x22.25x2.25 hull. bad camera phone pics. there arent really any scalloping down the rails. super "S" deck with 70/30 pinched rails, deep hull bottom to front of fin, flat out the back. the hull is actually deeper in the middle portion of the board which allows for tons of leverage from the front/nose area of the board. its fast and easily turned even/especially with the 9" flex fin.
Attachments
mini pig.jpg
mini pig 2.jpg
mini pig 1.jpg
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Mini Pig

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

I like. Hull deeper back a bit makes good sense since for stand-up you want deepest part under your front foot or between your feet. So under your "gut" makes sense for best leverage.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Larry Goddard's boards have an S deck. The logic is that you don't need a whole lot of flotation in the nose area. One thought worth considering is how well your back fits into the S curve if you have back problems. Also the S alters your leg angle so you are working your legs at a slightly different angle.

Bob
smells
Wave slider

Unread post by smells »

the s deck, thin nose isnt because of weight. the angle of errr legs doesnt change in the water because the deck is "s-ed out." on standup boards lightening the nose would be beneficial but in riding prone you dont throw the nose around like you do when you are standing up. surfing prone requires you to pull around the nose of the board so a lighter nose isnt really necessary.

your legs will still go out straight. think about it some more? why would your legs have to change angles just because the tail slopes?

this idea has everything to do with "proper" flexing of the board to gain thrust, manueverabilty and speed. it taps into the waves energy. it goes where the wave wants you to go. you can sort of imagine it by thinking, i guess, but you wont be able to understand fully without actually experiencing it.

i know by the pics that it doesnt look that different from the old school type bellyboards and some will say, oh, i made a board like that a long time ago or whatever but, this board came about after building and testing spoons, ply's, short standup and kneeriding hulls. i found that typical displacement hull characteristics had to be pushed around, shrunk, expanded or pulled in order to get this thing to work as well as it does.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Austin will be building me a new Checkered RPM soon. It will have a light "S" deck as a function of my going to a slightly thinner board, around 2 inches, but needing some additional thickness in the tail for the fin boxes. Only a slight doming effect and the plan shape and rails will remain the same along with the board rocker line. Not nearly as "S" decked as a couple of my boards from the late-60s and 70s.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger
City: Gold Coast

Unread post by SURFFOILS »

Great board SMELLS !!

bgreen wrote:Larry Goddard's boards have an S deck. The logic is that you don't need a whole lot of flotation in the nose area. One thought worth considering is how well your back fits into the S curve if you have back problems. Also the S alters your leg angle so you are working your legs at a slightly different angle.

Bob
I make boards with S decks and I think there are other benefits to thinning the nose...

With a thinner nose you dont need to paddle into each wave from a forward position and then slide back on take off.
Same effect with waves that flatten out and then hollow out again, youre sliding up to keep the board level when the wave flattens and then sliding back into position once the wave picks up again.
Less nose foam means the board nose penetrates into the water easier during turns and for duck diving and pulling thru waves on close-outs.
Concentrating the foam volume towards the middle does held with rotating the board thru a turn, not so much because of the weight but because the middle bouyancy makes the ( thinner) nose or tail sink easier when pressure is applied.
Thinner nose means thinner rails and IMHO thinner rails are faster.
------------------------------------------------------------------
surffoil@gmail.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

"your legs will still go out straight. think about it some more? why would your legs have to change angles just because the tail slopes?"

S deck + slope changes the angle of your legs relative to the water. Less S and slope your legs will sit flatter. The difference isn't astronmical but if I have a surf for several hours I can feel that my muscles have been worked from a slightly different angle. This will also depend on the size/location of the S deck.

Bob
smells
Wave slider

Unread post by smells »

You are in the wrong place when kicking with your fins then. Move back....errrrrr
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

There seems some very crossed wires here. I'm talking about the slope at the tail . After surfing an S deck paipo for a while then going back to a Galera no-fin, I could feel a very distinct section of my outer upper thigh getting worked.

Surffoils description regarding the virtue of less volume in the nose is on the money.

Enjoy your board.

Bob