Soft Top Mega Platter

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Soft Top Mega Platter

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I have seen this guy out several times at one of my favorite spots in Santa Cruz. He surfs year round WITHOUT wetsuit. He only wears a wetsuit hood. I saw him out February wetsuitless. Anyway the boards is a 8 foot California Board Company soft top. He cut off 1 1/2 foot off the tail end and put a couple Futures K twin keels on it. I have seen him ride it prone, but he do stand up sometimes. He says that it glides very well.
IMG_0068[1].JPG
IMG_0067[1].JPG
IMG_0069[1].JPG
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Soft Top Mega Platter

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

He surfs year round WITHOUT wetsuit. He only wears a wetsuit hood. I saw him out February wetsuitless.
Forget the board. I want to know what kind of vitamins he is using!?!?!!!
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

Any idea how he sealed the cut? Or what might work in that regard? That looks a bit ragged but the whole idea is kind of fun. CBC boards are $$$ for what you get but there are a lot of cheap foamies floating around used that could stand "improvement". I've always wanted to have something I could spend the day with and hack into oblivion...seeking The Vision, of course...

Nels
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield

Unread post by jbw4600 »

He used a gasket sealer. It seemed pretty watertight. I saw that California board company has several different sizes including a seven footer and fishes, which could be shortened. Some of them weren't too expensive ($150). I might experiment around with one sometime. But right now I have three different boards that I want build first.
Last edited by jbw4600 on Tue May 20, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Sounds like an interesting, innovative and hardy guy.
nok
Tube master
City: Mount Shasta

Unread post by nok »

I read this on stokereport--an sf bay area surf forum. must be the same surfer ...

"I paddled out to the less crowded wave on the ######, where there was about 5 other people chilling there. Nothing too eventful, everyone was just chit chatting with each other and surfing. The surf at this time was kinda slow with the high tide so it was a wait between sets and it was kinda fat, so much chatting than surfing going on. By about 10am the crowd doubled or tripled, but overall the vibe fine. There was even some big dude surfing in trunks with some chopped off twin fin board. He paddled up to me and asked me what my name was, and introduced himself as Marty if I recall correctly. He was having a blast and at some point I even heard him shout "Go, Tim, Paddle PADDLE!" when a wave came my way. He was definitely a stoked dude. "