Visit to Hawaii

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Visit to Hawaii

Unread post by rodndtube »

It has been a great trip to Oahu and the Big Island. Tons of surf and little time to conduct paipo research. Have had the good fortune to meet 4 of our fellow riders: Larry Goddard in Waikiki; surfed and talked story with John Clark on the North Shore; Gus Acosta of Wave Arrow paipo boards - he provided a prototype loaner board to try out; and Ted Hon who has been a wonderful source of info and help, who we surfed with a couple of days ago.
Ted and Rod at Pinetrees (Big Island Kona coast)
Ted and Rod at Pinetrees (Big Island Kona coast)
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Re: Visit to Hawaii

Unread post by SJB »

Now that is just plain wrong Rod. You and Ted look way too warm. Spudnut and I were out over the week-end here in central CAL and even with a 4.3mm my teeth were chattering.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Hawaii is surprisingly cool compared to many other tropical destinations, e.g., Puerto Rico and Costa Rica. Not chilly, just pleasantly on the cooler side. What you couldn't see were the coatings of SPF45 on my face, ears and neck + those thin hair spots on the coconut. Ted wears a Gath helmet -- not a bad habit -- and a spring suit for added reef protection.

Hope you and Spudnut had a production surf session!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

The smiles on both your faces tell the tale of how much fun you guys must have had.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

:mrgreen: = ENVY!
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Doesn't Big Island have a bit colder water to because the steeper, volcanic mtns. run-off a lot more direct rain water? I was told that anyway.

Ok now, give it up! Let's hear an unbiased (HAH as if there were such a thing) report on the Wave Arrow...
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

I didn't really notice much of a difference in water temps between Oahu and the Big Island. Waters on the north shore and the north of the Big Island and Pinetrees (north of Kailua-Kona) were both very clear and clean testing. The waters here are simply cooler than PR and Costa Rica which really shocked me on my second trip to Oahu in early January after surfing in Puerto Rico just ten days earlier -- lower 70s compared to mid- to upper-70s.

My test ride on the Wave Arrow was inconclusive. Like swim fins, keyboards and other things in life, including paipos, preferences are very personal. Having said that my preference is clearly in the camp of foam/glass + skeg vs. wood and finless. The Wave Arrow meets both those criterion. Other criteria include length, width and thickness. For me the Wave Arrow length was doable but it was simply too wide and thick for me and what I have grown accustomed to riding over 40 years. The WA is 23 inches wide and I ride boards from 20 to 21 inches wide max -- trying to sit on the WA gave me a feeling that my hips would pop apart! Again, this is a matter of my habits and tendencies for riding, not a critique of the design and wave riding characteristics of the board. The WA features heavy use of hulls/concaves and those aspects appear very tantalizing. The board definitely was not a slug -- it could move fast in a straight line and it would have been great to try it out on a larger wave with a good wall -- those conditions were lacking during my test riding -- the outer hull + skeg certainly have the characteristics to track like a demon down the line. I would welcome an opportunity to try a Wave Arrow that is 21" wide and with less volume.

Austin has loaned me his hybrid alaia/paipo. I will give it some test rides somewhere down the road -- probably next spring or summer. I already know it is too long for me -- and Austin's dad, Troy, who rode this board quite a bit has already asked Austin for build a shorter version. That board I look forward to test riding as well. In the meantime, I plan to order another Checkered RPM as my current model will the relocated to Puerto Rico this winter for safe keeping for return trips. Baggage/board fees are just getting too expensive.

Mike Hague, who traveled with us to the Big Island for the wedding of one of our good friends, is a board shaper specializing in EPS/Epoxy. I asked him about building a paipo bisect that can be stowed in a "board stealth" luggage bag and he is going to work on the concept.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Thanks Rod! Yes, a resized WA could be great esp in some waves that really call for go go go
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Rod,

Have i ever sent you photos of my bisect board? It has stood up well in double-overhead waves and some pretty choppy, heavy waves.

Bob
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

I think it was you that sent me some pics of a bisect paipo, Bob. Just in case it wasn't please post them up in the Design Section.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

Bob,

Can you post some pics of your bisect board? I am curious to see it. Thanks.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Spudnut,

Send me a pm and I'll send some photos when I get home. The desig isn't mind so i'd rather not post too much detail publically.

Bob
Ted
Big Wave Charger
City: Las Vegas
State or Province: Nevada
Interests: HPD, Austin 50", Xylem 47"

Unread post by Ted »

Rod,

It was great surfing with you. You're lucky you got some surf early that week: surf here has been non-existent since then. Next time come two months later when chances for good surf are better.

Ted
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Ted wrote:Rod,

It was great surfing with you. You're lucky you got some surf early that week: surf here has been non-existent since then. Next time come two months later when chances for good surf are better.

Ted
Ted and I both shared our Austin boards (both are RPM model type) with a wahine bodyboarder who was incredibly stoked with them. Another guy approached us out of the blue on the shore after our surf session inquiring about where to get one and more about paipo boarding. And a third person expressed interest. Austin may have received a big boost of interest on that magic day :) No doubt that Ted's stoke riding significantly contributed to the interest level.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.