My lates Wing board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

My lates Wing board

Unread post by CHRISPI »

GOPR1202.JPG
GOPR1202.JPG (172.56 KiB) Viewed 24137 times
I would like comments from other paipo shapers and riders on my latest board .I started shapeing as a hobby about 25 years ago.I use XPS , epoxy and glassfiber mostly .I also live to ride waves ,started with bodysurfing,handguns, kneeboarding, and bodyboarding . Living in time of great tech change , i could not understand why surf and bodyboards have not evolved fundamentally .It seems the only changes are in manufacturing , CNC , new foams and fibers etc . And selling out to the Chines . After watching many hours of surf video . I try,d to make a board that can live in that under utilized vertical zone just under the lip of the wave,to get drive and leverage on the wall .It is ridden prone there is no headroom in the zone i am looking for. This is my latest evolution ,i build a new evolution about one every year
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: My lates Wing board

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Looks like a fun ride though I don't really have enough design experience to comment beyond that.

Very curious though, how you glass the XPS to get good bonding w/ the glass. There have been severe delam issues in the past w/ XPS/epoxy. Long thread going right now on Swaylocks of current test experiments w/ ways of increasing surface area/contact and adhesion, starts at link below

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/shed-te ... ther-tests
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Looks great. Tell us about how it rides. What are the dimensions?
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Hello Chrispi,

No doubt you've come across the Swaylocks discussions:

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/wavewin ... rida-style
http://www.swaylocks.com/groups/paddle-hydrofoil-board
http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/hydrofoils-and-lift

I tried one of Surffoils very early foils a few times. It was nothing like your board. I found it kind of awkward, with all the foil underneath, especially if you wanted to ride shallow waves and coming in required some care. It was made to surf smaller mushy waves. I believe the design has moved on a lot sine then.

I'm sure the boundaries will be pushed with designs such as yours. What sort of waves was it made for?

Bob
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Foil boards are not attached to the wave face ,and miss the directionl push from the wave face.I have tryed to combine foiling with plaining
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Getting good bonding with XPS .Is attention to detail on the basics .Evenly sanded , i say finish with 130 grit,clean out dust properly, first coat must not trap air
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Sorry for my slopy posts .I am new posting on forums and have lost at least three good replys to your questions by pushing incorrect keys.it is a skill ineed to improve
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger
City: Gold Coast

Unread post by SURFFOILS »

Hi Crispi, great board and those wings look amazing, do you have any pics of your other boards ? What sort of ride is it like ? Are you getting completely out of the water ?
And where are you ?
------------------------------------------------------------------
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Hi Surffoils ,i am stoked to be in contact with people with the same interest.I live in Durban a surfing paradice but with crowd problems.I have problems visualize how my boards are running .My surf mates are to old and layzey,my kids are all overseas.It is difficult to get good riders to get it into good waves ,it is a foil assisted board it still plains on the hull,it feels as if as speed picks up on a face ,it moves out onto the tail rail and foil tip,it has amazing lateral and directunal hold on the face,the center of lift, center of gravity,are all near the roll and pitch centers,sounds to good to be true.Running flat down a wave it plains on the foil
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

CHRISPI wrote:Getting good bonding with XPS .Is attention to detail on the basics .Evenly sanded , i say finish with 130 grit,clean out dust properly, first coat must not trap air
Thanks Chris. At least according to Swaylocks experimenters/builders (I have never used XPS only EPS) they say that epoxy just does not stick well and so if any flexing or from compression you get easy delays and gaps leading to structural failure. With shortness of paipo, the flex issue may be almost nonexistent and if you do a really solid glass job with enough glass/resin then not likely to dent either. Since ridden prone, no heal dents either!
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Re: My latest Wing boards

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Here are my some of my other boards, oldest on the right.Yellow boards have two layer foam decks,i am not certain witch of the yellow boards is best the one on the right is a rocket and the closest to a normal board.The other two need to be held onto fermly .
Attachments
GOPR1291.JPG
GOPR1281.JPG
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane

Unread post by bgreen »

Chrispi,

An interesting quiver. Are the two older looking boards to the right, minus the wings?

How long have you been riding these boards?

Bob
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

Hi Chris, I've got a few vids on YouTube...

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCsRj8Gph3zdo9r2sfnacYLg

There's more on Vimeo too.

http://vimeo.com/user15345598/videos

I put a GoPro on a plastic pipe about 6 inches in front of the board. Next time it should be about 3 feet away.

How did you decide to make it that way ? What was the progression ?
There's also another guy Dave Tomasetti in the US who doing great things with his hydrfoiled paipos too. He calls it a Wavewing and there's a thread in Swaylocks at the moment.
surffoil@gmail.com
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Not so fast Chris....we need dimensions, too! Very cool design and construction. How high does hull elevate out of water? How does it paddle compared to other foam-and-glass boards you have used?
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Hi Surffoils ,thanks for the links,i have a Hero2 witch i stuck on the nose ,i whent out in some sick barrels and got what i thought were shots of the year.But when played them back it looked like i was on open sea swells.I never used it again.It is hard to say how they evolved but long brain storming sessions ,with the help from the tree of knowledge may be .
Last edited by CHRISPI on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Hi Nomastomas,i used a manta shutel as my templet i think it was there biggest board . I use only my legs to paddle and take off,compared to other boards ,when i get back on a boadyboard it feels like i am rideing a wet carpet.I used to ride a Dean Cleary knee board ,and the length compaird to thies short boards seems cumbersome in a barrel . I think this is a foil assisted board,a board of two sides,rideing in steep waves only one side is in contact and with one foil fully in.The surprising find is how it plains ( not foils) up on the wing plate when running flat.The more info i get the harder it gets to build the next board.
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

Hi Chrispi, I would like to hear more about your theory, why did you choose to use twin fins, how did you decide on the angle and the size of fin ?? Did you collaborate with others about the how and why and did you make the boards yourself because they look great !
I chose to make a dual level planing system but your design looks fantastic.
Attachments
image.jpg
surffoil@gmail.com
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by CHRISPI »

Hi Surffoils I am self tought,my building influence is motor sport and aircraft techno.i get my surf theory from surfing lots and watching lots of surf video
and mainly under water shots of barrels,and the contact patch different boards leave behind.I thought a stacked patch was the way i would go,the foil on one side fully in and plaining on the tail rail .I build by that saying if it looks good its probably is good, something like that.I use 2k car paints to finish.The wing shape is a shark pectoral fin.and the size is a thumb suck.
Wooddave
Big Wave Charger
City: Melbourne
State or Province: Florida

Unread post by Wooddave »

Hi Chrispi,
Those boards you make are really slick looking, I am envious..
They are fairly close to my first foil's design (but yours are much better executed), which was more of an attempt at placing the control surfaces down into the wave face than trying to fly..
Do you have any links to some of those underwater videos??
I think they are the best way to learn whats happening under the water..
Because the water clarity is very poor here,, I made a couple of videos of my foil in a pool trying to better understand how it interacts with the water..
You mentioned earlier that the more you learned, the more difficult it was to decide how build your next board.
I can relate to that. There are at least two answers for every question and they pile up..
I've made most of my stuff modular so I wouldn't have to commit to building an entirely new foil every time..
What are the main parts of your latest board's performance that you'd like to improve?
SURFFOILS
Big Wave Charger

Dave, that's a great question !
I've noticed that as Chris builds a new board the fin/foil part gets more defined, more angle, more separated from the body. Chris, will you continue this trend ?
Lots of other questions for you Chris.
Last edited by SURFFOILS on Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surffoil@gmail.com