Wishbone Board

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger
City: Atlanta
State or Province: GA
Interests: books, beer, and breaking waves

Wishbone Board

Unread post by Atlantasurfer »

Wishbone1.jpg
Wishbone1.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
Wishbone1.jpg
Wishbone1.jpg (40.17 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
Here is the spoon project I have been working on. It's my scrappy version of the kind of boards that Kid and Mr. Mike do so well. I'm calling it the wishbone--it does not really look too much like the famous Greenough craft.

The dims are 48" by 22" and 20" at the tail. The bottom layer is 3/8 ply and the top is 1/2.
The bottom and top slope to meet in the middle and create very knifey rails.

I'll be heading to the beach next Friday (fall break at my school) to get it salted for the first time. A little Helmsman Urethane and I'm set.
Attachments
Wishbone2.jpg
Wishbone2.jpg (58.32 KiB) Viewed 5494 times
ULTIMATS
Tube master
City: SYDNEY
State or Province: NSW

Re: Wishbone Board

Unread post by ULTIMATS »

looking good, Im keen to hear the ride report !
....the wetter.....the better.....
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger

Ride Report

I just got back from the beach, and the board rode well. But, I had a hard time catching waves. I guess my six foot alaia-style board has got me spoiled. Being out in deep water, it was challenging to make it work. Maybe I'll break it out for the 1-2 footers. They seem to come in a lot slower.

Is it true that a four foot wave is going twice as fast as a two foot one?
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

I am sure that this is going to be a stupid question, but then I am full of them (at least full of something.) The alaia I would imagine that you do not need to paddle with swim fins. A 48" board would certainly get into waves much easier with fins on your feet. So, did you use fins? :)
Atlantasurfer
Big Wave Charger

I am wearing fins in all cases, but that might still be part of the problem. Right now I'm wearing Churchills, but they are tearing my feet a new ass (so to speak). I have some UDTs on order. Hopefully my next surf mission will be a little more comfortable.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by spudnut »

I use UDT fins. Make sure to use fin socks or booties and the thicker the better. Spend a little time flexing the blades before you take them out in the water. They are going to feel very different than churchills.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

HAH! With UDT's instead of your feet moving and your body staying more or less still, your feet will stay almost stationary and your body will gyrate.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Personally I like the Churchills but without fins socks foregaboutit. That goes double for UDTs....which are more powerfull but yea....the potential torque factor on the bod is worrisome to me.
Oneill makes a good 2mm open heel fin sock which I use in the warmer water.....and a 3mm closed heel over the ankle which I use in the colder water. The 3mm is such that you can roll the wet suit leg over them for a good seal. Add a 4.3 wet suit and it is nice and toasty here in Central Cal waters.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Atlantasurfer wrote:I am wearing fins in all cases, but that might still be part of the problem. Right now I'm wearing Churchills, but they are tearing my feet a new ass (so to speak). I have some UDTs on order. Hopefully my next surf mission will be a little more comfortable.
If you don't have wide feet then you might like the Vipers. They come in 3 styles - the number is the length of the blade in inches and the color signifies the flex (orange) or stiffness (yellow) of the blade: V5 Orange Dot, V5 Yellow Dot and V7 Yellow Dot. As of late I have been using the V5 yellow dot in warm waters ( >70F ) and the orange dot in cooler waters ( <70F and >60F ), using at least lycra sox with the Orange and 1mm sox with the Yellow.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by spudnut »

Without a doubt the discussion of fins seems to get us all going more than board types whatever the reason be. Does anyone else have a preference for a particular fin based upon the board being buoyant like an Austin vs. neutral like an HPD or wood paipo?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

spudnut wrote:Without a doubt the discussion of fins seems to get us all going more than board types whatever the reason be. Does anyone else have a preference for a particular fin based upon the board being buoyant like an Austin vs. neutral like an HPD or wood paipo?
I tend to think the preferences for fins have more to do with each person's physiology, i.e., width of foot and arch, ankles, and legs, than with the length or buoyancy of the board being ridden. At least that seems to be the case in the bodyboarding world although some drop knee riders prefer a short blade to get up on the board. Body surfers also seen to have a preference for the long bladed stiff fins (like UDTs and Voits) but that isn't universal -- some also love Vipers and Churchills. I asked Larry Goddard what kind of fins he liked to used and he pulled out some very flexible, long bladed skin diving fins.

In this vein I believe it is important for people to state objectively why they like certain swim fins and not simply assert one type is better than another type.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by spudnut »

Rod,

My UDT fins have really nice flexible blades. My DaFins have shorter and much stiffer blades that hurt my ankles. The UDT are heavy, do not float, and I enjoy using them with a buoyant board because my body is already on top of the water. My legs stay in the water better preventing me from wasting energy slapping the surface. DaFins are light and float making kicking more difficult on a buoyant board for me. With a neutrally buoyant board, I have considered a more lightweight floaty type of fin because my body is already submerged.