my first paipo 44

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

Re: my first paipo 44

Unread post by asier esnal »

bgreen wrote:I much prefer a bicep leash with the plug about 8- 10" down from the nose.

A shot from the tail down to the nose will show off the rocker better. They look like lethal weapons. Looking forward to hearing how they go.
A shot from the tail down to the nose will show off the rocker better.?

forgive, can you explain this? the google translator puts things that I do not understand, hurts
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

bgreen wrote:I much prefer a bicep leash with the plug about 8- 10" down from the nose.

A shot from the tail down to the nose will show off the rocker better. They look like lethal weapons. Looking forward to hearing how they go.
I once went over the falls on about a 5 foot wave and landed on my back on my fin. Fortunately it as a moderately thick, home made fiberglass fin with a blunt foiled edge. Still, it cut through a 1/2 inch neoprene wetsuit and made a nice gash in my back. I was very glad that the impact was between spine and outer edge of my back and not on my spine. Coulda been turned into a quad in an instant!
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Normal fins bought with those dangerous edges vs mine of aluminum fins
Attachments
33769800_1856238621106897_6647641254219743232_n.jpg
33769800_1856238621106897_6647641254219743232_n.jpg (38.38 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

asier esnal wrote:Normal fins bought with those dangerous edges vs mine of aluminum fins
Your's look much safer!
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

The rounded edge looks safer, but in case of a brutal collision with a human body the aluminum won't break or bend.
Why aluminum by the way ?
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

If fiberglass or plastic breaks it generally leaves incredibly sharp and jagged edge(s)
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

zensuni wrote:The rounded edge looks safer, but in case of a brutal collision with a human body the aluminum won't break or bend.
Why aluminum by the way ?
I work in a factory with laser cutting machines, I am used to working with these materials, aluminum, steel, bronze ... on the other hand, and in my place I have adequate tools to work with aluminum. I do not have a welding machine, it hurts

next to my house there is a warehouse and sale of aluminum, they sell me aluminum plates and profiles that want to 4euros a kilo

The raw material for experiments is very very cheap. the density, weight of aluminum is the same as the material g10 fr4, so I have the same weight in the fins, but this is a lot more expensive and polluting

carbon and fiberglass when they start explode, like ceramics, blades like blades. It is not very common for it to pass in one fins but the aluminum will bend without causing cuts.

working time. Now that I know how to do them, I take very little time to do the keels, in fact, as its base is removable 3 + 3 + 3mm, it goes to screw, I just have to make the thin part 3mm sheet. to make 2 keels snow just need 30 minutes of work.

to make them in another material g10 for example I have to buy a sheet of 10mm, I do not see the system of 3 + 3 + 3mm in this material, and spend ohas wearing, too much work to get a result that I do not know if it would be suitable. keel shape, aera ....
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Today I tried to get to my paipos Freddie Cruger on the bike, I am very happy, it has only been a short trip, but I have been able to carry the 2 with all the security, when I enter the water I'm only going to take one, but today It has been a test day. I have to make some covers, some sewing machine
Attachments
33824428_1856516064412486_7918725435217674240_n.jpg
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

I don't recall if you posted this info or if anyone asked...are you coating the aluminum with anything to protect against corrosion? The old aerospace industry worker in my has to ask since you've done all the work.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I have given them a thin layer of varnish with a spray bottle. however, aluminum creates a white surface layer, it is ugly, but this crust protects the aluminum from the inside.

I do not believe that they are the definitive fins. I think I'm going to do a few models as I see the needs, with how fast I do them, I'm not going to spend time finishing

The aluminum alloy magnesium 5083 when it has the desired shape and is the final use this alloy, is very good for the sea. I have many ideas in my head. Now I am more concerned about improving the appearance of my paipos, I do not like its finish. quengo that improve the way I work fabrics, resins, polished ....

5083 aluminum alloy magnesium in its formats of plates, tubes, plates, bars, sheets, is used in the construction of super ship structures, rail cars, containers with pressure at low temperatures, defense applications, high strength structural towers after of welds, mobile cranes, bodies, dump trucks, platforms, hulls of pleasure boats, mining trucks, missile components, etc.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

It looks great !
Make a board just a little shorter and it would fit into a bodyboard bag :)
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Its very interesting to follow ones mans mission to builds some boards.

Could you video some waves that you are going to surf (no surfers needed) just so we can see what your going to try to surf.

que tengas un gran día :D
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

A video would be great indeed !
Regarding the leash, you can also use a regular surf leash, since a short bodyboard coiled leash may be dangerous in case of wipeout (the board may hit you harder than a bodyboard).
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

zensuni wrote:A video would be great indeed !
Regarding the leash, you can also use a regular surf leash, since a short bodyboard coiled leash may be dangerous in case of wipeout (the board may hit you harder than a bodyboard).
Absolutely correct in my experience. I also keep my leash plug about 4 inches back from the nose and the leash attached to my wrist for easier retrieval. Normally a 5 ft leash for under 7 ft waves and 6 ft leash for waves 8+ ft. No boomerangs please!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Photos like # 5 in this series: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=746&hilit=evolution

Photo # 4 for the foil.