versions of gus acosta?

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

versions of gus acosta?

Unread post by asier esnal »

Every day I enjoy more of the paipo, little by little I strengthen the tendons of the feet, sometimes they give me cramps in the fingers and I have to go out with one hour in the water but I have forgotten completely about the surfboard, the paipo has returned the smile to my face. who I want to say, I enjoy my 41 years as a child. And that is the most important

my next paipo I want you to have a tail type gus acosta. I am very interested in your research. but I will make my own version, another one of the many that have been made. and that's why I want to ask you for advice. the DK I will leave for later

What results have given you this type of paipos? How does the tail's horns affect grip? I've seen that Gus made them 10 inches long, in this first sketch I put 5 inches

Soon the hard and strong winter waves will begin, by mid-September the sea in the cantabrico is getting serious, it's for those waves what I'm designing

I do not care that I do not turn a lot, in fact I want you to get on the wave and be fast, I do not look for 360

as Larry Goddard would do, the nose is 85% to 6 inches from the tip.

Between the horns of the tail I have to enter the legs and a pco of slack. this idea and I want it to be as fast as possible I have given 95% to the tail, starting at 3 inches from the middle of the table without counting the horns

I have advanced a lot the position of the keels, I did not like it much where I put them in my 2 previous paipos a style of vektorsystems

This is a design open to all the modifications that come to mind. I will begin to shape the foam within 2 weeks.

I would like you to correct me or contribute ideas of everything that comes to mind without fear of saying nonsense. the worst idea is the one that is believed to be good but it is not said
Attachments
Sin título.png
Sin título.png (43.64 KiB) Viewed 4980 times
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA

Re: versions of gus acosta?

Unread post by kage »

Quite frankly I would be afraid of getting poked in the nuts.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

The skegs seem to be quite forward on this one, it is close to a kneeboard shape.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I have delayed the position of the keels, I do not think it is necessary anymore since the horns will also do this duncion, it would be something like a quad. I do not know if I'm wrong

Regarding the horns and blows in the soft parts of the legs, and I have thought, if I find it dangerous, but I think the contribution of the venom of the horns may be worth it. longer rails, more grip ....

I have made some small changes in measurements and outline

little by little it will improve the design, thanks to all
Attachments
Sin título.png
Sin título.png (23.44 KiB) Viewed 4952 times
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

If only interested in tail shape that is totally fine. But I do think a great deal, if not most, of his design in in the bottom contours
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

A friend and I have made a minisimons surfboard with this bottom contours, is giving very good results, I had thought to apply it to this paipo. the rails of the table will be dropped as I have done in the paipo

Could result? It is a way to channel the water along the entire length of the paipo, starting from the nose itself to the tail, making the board back and holding the position in vertical waves without slipping
Attachments
36616005_1903271653070260_185787499107319808_n.jpg
36616005_1903271653070260_185787499107319808_n.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

I checked out the Gus Acosta interview, the board looks like this one:
https://youtu.be/LQzulsVOjII
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

zensuni thank you, I've already seen it, I tried to see everything I could about it, a very interesting person

concabos, hydro hull, chinese .... I made tables with these concaves and I did not like anything. if they are fast but they are very unstable. if you see the edges and concaves as a balance levering the center, these concaves are more unstable than normal.

I have done a fast drawing a bit fast with the paint program as an explanation, this is my way of seeing it but surely there are more than one that will say otherwise

I am also interested in applying this concept seen in the form of an airplane wing and applied to a surfboard. I made them on a surfboard and the result has been very satisfactory

https://www.cambersurfboards.com/technology

https://gatovolante.wordpress.com/2017/ ... sa-droops/
Attachments
Sin título.png
Sin título.png (21.24 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Video seemed like even without fins the board powered around soup pretty well, held an edge. I know with concaves there's a lot of variation in effect from small variations in the shape of the concave, esp the transitions to flat on either side. And of course all that interacts w/ rails and the transitions there. Never did enough with them to really know what's what, just that the effects have been very noticeable when I've ridden them
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I don't know if there is any Acosta influence, however the design kinda reminded me of Gus' concept. This board was made by Steve Pendarvis: http://www.pendo.com/
HrsehsoePendo.jpg
HrsehsoePendo.jpg (11.78 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
HorseshoePendo.jpg
HorseshoePendo.jpg (12.22 KiB) Viewed 4890 times
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

It is very very beautiful, what a great job. Congratulations

How is a paipo of this style compared with a without horns?

The idea attracts me a lot, your design is practically what I have in my head
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Just to clarify. This isn't my board. I found the board on a search. I believe it was made for a guy from Oregon. No more details were available when Rod tried to find out more.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

https://stalktr.com/p/BWNySXphaAG I've been looking for it but I've only found this little video,
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

That's a LOT of fin seems to me. With the vacuum rails and that much concave, I would bet it would fly with no fins at all as well as hold in just tine.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I also think it's a Fins excessively, but we do not know what wave size and sea condition will enter

I'm refining the design of my paipo, in a little while I'll have time to make it. maybe later this week

I have doubts with the tail, that I have to make templates and see how my legs work without bothering the horns. easy task

but if I have doubts with the angle of the keels toe-in, I think that 6 inches is well set since the horns will also stabilize, I'm thinking of a system similar to quad. 2 keels and 2 horns

any recommendation with the angle of the fins toe in?
Attachments
Sin título.png
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Opening day, He did not catch many waves, but it has given me good feelings. Next week more waves