Everybody wants to

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Everybody wants to

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

krusher74 wrote:i'n 5 years i think i have nailed down my paipo design to something i think i could ride for the rest of my days, as I feel the weakest link now is my skill, the board will do what ever I want with out and fight back. So I think now if i constructed one from light enough paulowina (and dont get fat) i could probably see out my surfing days on it. :?
Easy on the junk food and beers and plenty of water time and you'll stay plenty lean
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

i'n 5 years i think i have nailed down my paipo design to something i think i could ride for the rest of my days, as I feel the weakest link now is my skill, the board will do what ever I want with out and fight back. So I think now if i constructed one from light enough paulowina (and dont get fat) i could probably see out my surfing days on it.
It's funny how things go as years turn to decades. Technology (including design) changes, improves. Knowledge and understanding and experience improve things. Society makes inroads...travel becomes easier, new places open up, then new places fill. Old places go from full to forking insanity. If you spend enough time in an activity, eventually it becomes as much mental as physical. People come and go. Designs come and go and come again. Everything is a double-edged sword. There should come a time of reckoning, where we find ourselves examining just what the hell we're doing here, if it's still worth the sacrifices, if it's worth what we have sacrificed...and why we're doing it still right now. Things happen in life, it may not always be about fitness or commitment...

Don't forget to Feed Your Head...
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Nels wrote:Don't forget to Feed Your Head...
That for sure inclose 2nd place. But top of the list....feed your heart!
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
State or Province: CA
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

Nels wrote:
i'n 5 years i think i have nailed down my paipo design to something i think i could ride for the rest of my days, as I feel the weakest link now is my skill, the board will do what ever I want with out and fight back. So I think now if i constructed one from light enough paulowina (and dont get fat) i could probably see out my surfing days on it.
It's funny how things go as years turn to decades. Technology (including design) changes, improves. Knowledge and understanding and experience improve things. Society makes inroads...travel becomes easier, new places open up, then new places fill. Old places go from full to forking insanity. If you spend enough time in an activity, eventually it becomes as much mental as physical. People come and go. Designs come and go and come again. Everything is a double-edged sword. There should come a time of reckoning, where we find ourselves examining just what the hell we're doing here, if it's still worth the sacrifices, if it's worth what we have sacrificed...and why we're doing it still right now. Things happen in life, it may not always be about fitness or commitment...

Don't forget to Feed Your Head...
For me, the one constant in life is the feeling that comes from being in the ocean. Everything else, family, friends, jobs, hobbies, interests, likes, dislikes, bikes, surfboards, is transitory. The feeling that comes from being in the ocean never changes. That feeling is purely right-brain, non-verbal and impossible to articulate. It re-charges my soul, no matter rough or gentle, or how warm or cold. And, having waves to ride is just the frosting on the cake. So, while I may passionately debate the virtues of this or that design, this or that material or construction technique, or complain about the wave size or the crowd size, I think that these things are secondary to the act of just being in the ocean.
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
kage
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Cruz
State or Province: CA

Unread post by kage »

For me, the one constant in life is the feeling that comes from being in the ocean. Everything else, family, friends, jobs, hobbies, interests, likes, dislikes, bikes, surfboards, is transitory. The feeling that comes from being in the ocean never changes. That feeling is purely right-brain, non-verbal and impossible to articulate. It re-charges my soul, no matter rough or gentle, or how warm or cold. And, having waves to ride is just the frosting on the cake. So, while I may passionately debate the virtues of this or that design, this or that material or construction technique, or complain about the wave size or the crowd size, I think that these things are secondary to the act of just being in the ocean.
yup
belly rider
Big Wave Charger
City: Florence
State or Province: Tuscany
Interests: A True Passion for Paipo & Kneeboards

Unread post by belly rider »

Yup the above sound like wise words from Confucius
Osoo I see the light -- toooo
Fully agree with very well worded frases
its all about the ride
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

For me, the one constant in life is the feeling that comes from being in the ocean. Everything else, family, friends, jobs, hobbies, interests, likes, dislikes, bikes, surfboards, is transitory.
It's all pretty much transitory, I suppose. I would order that list like so: the people (family and friends) and the ocean. If I were to nitpick myself at this stage I might say People and Nature. Or People and Water? Not People In Water though, all you guys excepted. When I'm not in the ocean I'm thinking about it, never more so than when I'm around fresh water or desert dryness, both of which I enjoy, maybe some kind of yin/yang thing. When I find myself stuck in those horrible dry situations like work or a doctor's office - both of which I try to avoid like the plague - then my animal-brain reverts to the thought that as long as there is decent water out there for somebody to enjoy, I'm good.

Breaking it down to the essentials now eliminates almost all the toys for me. A good wetsuit and a decent pair of fins are the essentials, everything else is gravy. Barring that or tolerable conditions to go out in, I need to at least breathe it in.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Almost ready to test this monster. It comes chest-high on me. Should be interesting to paddle out. So here's the latest...

Took the advice and cut out deck skin from the donor part of the board. Tried to use a putty knife to separate it but that didn't work. In the end I used the piece of bottom skin as a template and cut it with a box cutter, and to my surprise it peeled right up slick as snot.
F13.jpg
Used epoxy resin to reattach the loose bottom skin. Took overnight to adhere but seems solid.
F14.jpg
Three piece skin on the cut, precision weight system to hold it down.
F15.jpg
After final trim of the excess skin on the back.
F16.jpg
F17.jpg
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

That's my kind of precision weight system! Works great.

Those are some mighty boxy rails on that beast. Interesting to see how it rides. I suspect fins on it will be mandatory.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Last bit...skin condition just as it was when I fetched it up out of the trash can at Zuma (the circles come from the cans weighing it down when I resined it on though).
F18.jpg
Deck-down view...notice the various curves all over the board. You can't even see the weird dents on the bottom skin. One of the rails practically curves in and out. I laugh when I think about reading that various pro surfers can feel thickness variations of less than a quarter of an inch. In the Wavestorm world and especially in the Wavestorm Frankenstein world I suspect anything goes. And probably not well...
F19.jpg
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

"In the Wavestorm world and especially in the Wavestorm Frankenstein world I suspect anything goes. And probably not well..."

That's priceless! And a testament to the modern market place.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Now to hear how it goes. Look out.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

if you want to get those edges smooth try a hot clothes iron
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

I'll have to see if we have one of those around the house; I wouldn't know offhand :lol:

Seriously though I have to clean out a little resin seepage and then if we do have an iron I'll give it a go. I have to go way back in the mental fog though...wax paper down on top of the area to protect the iron? Something like that? I was thinking this beast needs to get wet just to see if it's worth installing the fins and a second trip. Deep down the thought of riding this "seriously" appeals about as much as trying to prone ride an SUP. I'm scratching an itch...
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Nels wrote:
I'll have to see if we have one of those around the house; I wouldn't know offhand :lol:

Seriously though I have to clean out a little resin seepage and then if we do have an iron I'll give it a go. I have to go way back in the mental fog though...wax paper down on top of the area to protect the iron? Something like that? I was thinking this beast needs to get wet just to see if it's worth installing the fins and a second trip. Deep down the thought of riding this "seriously" appeals about as much as trying to prone ride an SUP. I'm scratching an itch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... rmz8HEocrd
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

Nels is on the case:

A Board-Building Contest You Should Check Out - Surfer Magazine
https://apple.news/AOvzN-sbPTZKyOxGbDJd-6g
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Wow, Nels, I have never seen so many Wavemaster/Wavestorm boards. It is freaking crazy. Ouch. It is like cheapo bodyboards for the masses but now the masses are out in the line-up going every which crazy way.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

Wow, Nels, I have never seen so many Wavemaster/Wavestorm boards. It is freaking crazy. Ouch. It is like cheapo bodyboards for the masses but now the masses are out in the line-up going every which crazy way.
It's nuts where I live and surf, Malibu to Ventura is the home territory. Nobody can say bodyboards lead people to standup surf any more, at least not around here. I see surf schools set up on weekdays in the middle of October. Summer of 2018 may have been the tipping point, at least for me.

On the other hand, with these beastly boards, I don't actually see people going every which crazy way. Mostly all go straight off. There are so many of these boards around they can't possibly all be beginners. Can't even find the humor in this...
Nels
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by Nels »

An update...basically this is something of a snotty lark of a project, I have no performance aspirations. I'm scratching an itch. The easily recognizable elements will either amuse or anger viewers on the beach, which is fine with me.

Just not right now. I'm doing it for a laugh, and things aren't really funny around my regular beaches. It has nothing to do with surfing. Just before the time of my last post we had a mass shooting in a nearby city that killed a lot of people. A local guy from where I live, a Pepperdine student from down in Malibu, and others. A police office was killed. Within 24 hours the Santa Monica Mountains started burning and the fire ultimately burned to the sea. Over 1000 homes were lost. 3 people died. Places like Leo Carrillo State Park burned to a crisp, even the bathroom on the beach side. The only structures there that survived appear to be the entry kiosk and the Lifeguard HQ. The Zuma/Pt. Dume area fared somewhat better but that's where the bulk of the homes were lost.

Life goes on, the waves keep coming. When the time is right I'll get that thing in the water and report back.

2 photos from Leo Carrillo
Burn2.jpg
IMG_6438.JPG
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Geez, I recognized that Leo Carrillo parking lot and have used that bathroom on the beachside. That was a very nasty fire. I can relate with you, Nels, on the how state of affairs can create an environmental cloud. Back long ago, think 9/11/2001 - 10/10/2002, several things touched me closely. The Thursday before 9/11, I was in a 3 hr mtg in the Pentagon... that conference room was wiped out on 9/11; the other "target" that was aborted to a field in Pennsylvania was either the White House or Capitol building, my office was halfway between the two (however, I was safely surfing some tropical storm swell that morning in MD and DE); a month later was the anthrax attach that affected two Senate Office Buildings, one of which I had been in a meeting the week before. One year later were the Washington DC Sniper attacks that killed 10 over a period of 3 weeks, covering an area from Baltimore to Northern Virginia (the investigation later tracked the car to having targeted my son's middle school). Needless to say there was a chill in the air. My release was getting to the surf as often as possible!

Hope you caught some nice waves!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.