45 biaxial degree fiberglass?

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger
City: Astigarraga
State or Province: Gipuzkoa

45 biaxial degree fiberglass?

Unread post by asier esnal »

These days I have been doing tests with different materials to make the paipos. woods, aluminum, with different thicknesses of core and has been a failure, so I turn the fiberglass and epoxy resin fabrics, but I have seen some fabrics at 45 degrees as shown in the photo. of the paipo.

I found these fabrics in different thicknesses 200, 300, 400 .... as you will not see the fiber the idea would be to put 1 fabric of 400 up and another down, less work and cheaper

the idea is to make a paipo without a lot of work, I do not want to do hortcoat ... so it has occurred to me to put a laminate up and down cork 2mm, this allows me not to make a shape with a fine finish, nor a very worked laminate, out of sight, out of mind. I can work in a vacuum

for the rails and with the idea of ​​getting more flex I'm not going to put fiberglass, the vertical fiber makes the stringer functions of there is no use. the idea is to put cork attached as shown in the image

what do you think? Has something like this been done?

es

estos dias he estado haciendo pruebas con diferentes materiales para hacer los paipos. maderas, aluminios,, con fiferentes grosores de nucleo y ha sido un fracaso, asi qeu vuelbo las telas de fibra de vidrio y resina de epoxy, pero he visto unas telas a 45 grados como muestro en la foto. del paipo.

he encontrado estas telas en diferentes grosores 200, 300, 400.... como no se va a ver la fibra la idea seria poner 1 tela de 400 arriba y otra abajo, menos trabao y mas barato

la idea es hacer un paipo sin mucho trabajo, no quiero hacer hortcoat... asi que se me ha ocurrido poner una lamina arriba y abajo de cork 2mm, esto me permite no hacer un shape con acabado fino, ni un laminado muy trabajado, ojos que no ven corazon que no siente. puedo trabajar al vacio

para los rails y con idea de conseguir mas flex no voy a poner fibra de vidrio, la fibra vertical hace las funciones de stringer de hay no usarla. la idea es poner cork pegado como muestro en la imagen

que os parece? se ha hecho algo asi?
Attachments
Sin título.png
Sin título.png (186.32 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: 45 biaxial degree fiberglass?

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Only issue could be that 2 light layers is stronger than one heavier one. Oh, and thicker/heavier cloth is more difficult to wrap on thin rails and corners etc.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

Only issue could be that 2 light layers is stronger than one heavier one.: in this you are right but as I look for fex I do not think it is harmful

Oh, and thicker/heavier cloth is more difficult to wrap on thin rails and corners etc. : That is the grace of this idea, there is no fiberglass in these parts. in fact you can laminate the fiber cork fiber cork eps in rectangular fiber and then cut with the template of the paipo, sand the edges at 90 degrees and paste the cork to make the rails. a Bodypo style but lighter thanks the core eps
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

asier esnal wrote:That is the grace of this idea, there is no fiberglass in these parts. in fact you can laminate the fiber cork fiber cork eps in rectangular fiber and then cut with the template of the paipo, sand the edges at 90 degrees and paste the cork to make the rails. a Bodypo style but lighter thanks the core eps
Don't know why I missed that. Could be a winner for making things easier for sure.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I just found the plates of the PET compound, it is a variant of the PU plates but the reference that I put below is much more economical, it is compatible with polyester, it is used to make the wind blades of the windmills, and parts of aircraft, structurally it is much more rigid to compression than the eps, it is clear that it weighs twice as much as it is of a density of 80. but compared to the paulownia it comes out much lighter. This opens up new ideas for me, if I work with polyester and it is so hard to blow I will not need the cork

es

acabo de encontrar las planchas del compuesto PET, es una variante de las planchas de PU pero la referencia que os pongo abajo es mucho mas economica, es compatible asl poliéster, se usa para hacer las palas eólicas de los molinos de viento, y partes de aviones, estructuralmente es mucho mas rigida a compresión que el eps, esta claro que pesa el doble ya que es de una densidad de 80. pero comparado con la paulownia sale mucho mas ligero. esto me abre nuevas ideas, si trabajo con poliéster y es tan dura a golpes no necesitare el cork

https://www.castrocompositesshop.com/gb ... -kgm3.html

http://www.divinycell.com.br/es/wp-cont ... -Group.pdf
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

I have spoken with a friend about the alignment of fibers 45 degrees vs 90/0. I answered that the paipos to be so small, compared to a surfboard, there is almost no difference

but if it has corroborated me what it supposed, the amount of fabric and resin that is put on the rails, with that you can modify the flex of the paipo, you can even leave the edges unlaminated by putting more fabrics on the top and below, this improves the behavior to blows while maintaining flex. I already bought the pet core, in a few days I got home. I will inform you

es

he hablado con un amigo sobre la alineación de las fibras 45 grados vs 90/0. me ha respondido que los paipos al ser tan pequeños, comparado con una tabla de surf, no hay casi diferencia

pero si me ha corroborado lo que suponía, la cantidad de tela y resina que se pone en los cantos, con eso se puede modificar el flex del paipo, incluso se puede dejar los cantos sin laminar poniendo mas telas en la parte de arriba y de abajo, esto mejora el comportamiento a golpes manteniendo flex. ya he comprado el núcleo pet, en unos dias me llega a casa. os iré informando
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

I like the idea of having cork rails, could be a little bit safer than hard rails.
I plan to do something like that this weekend, I will make a mini paipo made of 2 plywood sheets, plus a cork sheet sandwiched in between. The cork sheet will be a little bigger than the plywood sheets, so if the board hits my head it should hurt a little less, plus it will be a little more buoyant. One thing I am afraid of is that the cork might suck up a lot of water. It shouldn't be a big issue, but it means that the board would need to be correctly dried after each session.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger

I've never worked w/ cork but have read (and makes sense to me) that you can seal it pretty well without loosing is "soft", forgiving qualities. Squeeze on thinned epoxy so it dives into the crevices and leaves little to none on the surface. Probably would also work w/ varnish.
asier esnal
Big Wave Charger

To test the influence of fiberglass on the rails, I saw a paipo that was badly made lengthwise. I left the square edges with the foam in the air and compared the flex, before cutting and then putting 2 bags of sand of 25kg each with the paipo resting on the tail and nose, the rest in the air. I'm sorry to say that it has hardly changed a few millimeters

with this I already know that hardly influences the fiberglass in the rails. I think that only affects the thickness of the foam, this will be because the paipo is very small compared to a surfboard. Another failure for the list of thoughts. lately I do not hit

es

para probar la influencia de la fibra de vidrio en los cantos, he aserrado longitudinalmente un paipo que tenía mal hecho. he dejado los cantos cuadrados con el foam al aire y he comparado el flex, antes de cortar y después, poniendo 2 sacos de arena de 25kg cada uno con el paipo apoyado en el tail y nose, el resto al aire . siento decir que apenas ha variado unos milímetros

con esto ya se que apenas influye la fibra de vidrio en los cantos. creo que solo influye el espesor del foam, esto sera debido a que el paipo es muy pequeño comparado con una tabla . otro fracaso mas para la lista de pensamientos. últimamente no acierto
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

See the cork deck on two of my boards in the Tom Wegener thread. http://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewtop ... =850#p8573