Spring session

Welcome to a general discussion group on paipo boarding.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Spring session

Unread post by zensuni »

Hi there,
After a long winter with only a few sessions at weird repli spots, I had a nice spring session Today, nice conditions.
Still the same old Atlantic beach break :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFMLsVIj99g
I lost the board twice, once after a wipeout, but the board wasn't far from me, and another time, after a weird "duck dive wipeout" (I ducked dived but I poped out right into a second wave), and this time the board went right to the beach :lol:
This is why I hate gloves, it's hard to have a good grip on the board.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Re: Spring session

Unread post by bgreen »

First wave looked like a nice long ride.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

Thanks, that was a longboard friendly wave, it broke outside and connected with the inside. The flat spot in the middle was weak so I had to "pump" and paddle a little bit to keep going. The last part was fun, canon ball stance, perfect triming, the board accelerated until someone was on my way, unfortunately.
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

Zensuni, I don't know if this would work so you'd want to test it on a sample piece of neoprene--there is a product called Vulkem116, some sort of silicon caulk, that dries rubbery and bonds very strongly to what you put it on when its fresh from the tube. Some people, used to be many, used it on the deck of surfmats for excellent traction. Some people don't because they think it gives too much traction. Anyway, you would put some very thin striped of it on palms and fingers of your gloves then immediately rough it up or stipple it w/ an old toothbrush (NOT your wife's!!!!). Once it dries, overnight, you're good to go and might well have gloves that grip your board better than your bare hands.
zensuni
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by zensuni »

GeoffreyLevens wrote:Zensuni, I don't know if this would work so you'd want to test it on a sample piece of neoprene--there is a product called Vulkem116, some sort of silicon caulk, that dries rubbery and bonds very strongly to what you put it on when its fresh from the tube. Some people, used to be many, used it on the deck of surfmats for excellent traction. Some people don't because they think it gives too much traction. Anyway, you would put some very thin striped of it on palms and fingers of your gloves then immediately rough it up or stipple it w/ an old toothbrush (NOT your wife's!!!!). Once it dries, overnight, you're good to go and might well have gloves that grip your board better than your bare hands.
Fortunately, the water here is now warm enough to get rid of gloves, which temporarily resolved the grip issue (just a little bit of wax on the board's nose is fine). On wood boards, the lack of grip has been less an issue for me than on my previous surfmat, which was as sliperry as a piece of soap (Krypt M5). My new surf mat does have a great grip naturaly (4th gear flyers), but I don't know if I would like this kind of grip on a wooden board.

Nice session yesterday !
Good weather, 3-4 foots waves, all good, except a lot of current.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWkXr8OOPq0