Soft edge

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Soft edge

Unread post by CHRISPI »

IMG_20191105_125753.jpg
I have been experimenting with vinyl wrap on my latest boards , and found with layering clear vinyl makes a perfect trailing edge profile finishing with a razor thin soft edge ,stiffness can be added or subtracted with more or less layers .I have read a lot about vortex generation with soft trailing edges on insect wings and fish fins . How important is the trailing edge on the overall performance of a foil, fin, wing, prone board? On my boards it’s probably very important with the fin tips in the water all the time.
IMG_20191105_125806.jpg
IMG_20191105_125824.jpg
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Soft edge

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

I know with hard fins on standup boards, tiny differences in trailing edge foil can make the difference between a loud "hummmm" and not. And almost certainly that hum is lost speed, drag of a detrimental type
CHRISPI
Big Wave Charger
City: Durban
State or Province: Natals

Unread post by CHRISPI »

The trouble with performance experiments and trying different approaches is it creates more questions than answers, and the old question is how you measure it. I feel wave gardens might be the answer, it something you can budget for and get guaranteed constant size waves so you can set a base line for testing. You can budget for a surf trip but not get consistent waves. I am privileged to be able to make use and experiment with wave riding tools, I feel making your own boards and riding then has got to be good for mind and body?
GeoffreyLevens
Big Wave Charger
City: Paonia
State or Province: Colorado

Unread post by GeoffreyLevens »

CHRISPI wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:56 pmI feel making your own boards and riding then has got to be good for mind and body?
Very likely will help stave off senility over the years ;) And yes, if you can get to a facility that has constant almost identical waves peeling off from a machine, that's ideal.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Well, you have a testing ground down in Bristol at the wave. no too far for a road trip.

I would not recommend surf Snowdonia in wales as the wave there was less like a normal ocean wave.
Worrall
Forum Grommet
City: Canterbury
State or Province: Kent
Interests: reading, cars, racing, fishing

Unread post by Worrall »

Did they make the wave at Snowdonia like that deliberately btw?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

Worrall wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:08 am Did they make the wave at Snowdonia like that deliberately btw?
no, I feel its just a sub-optimum designed bottom profile, that is floored due to trying to make a wave that can be used by more than one person at a time. There is the main wave which I feel is sub-optimum dut to there attempt to also make an intermediate wave from the same piece of swell. Their technology is the same as kellys wave pool, which works due to a bottom profile design for one wave only