New Mega Platter

What works and what doesn't. Share design ideas, references and contacts for paipo board builders.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

New Mega Platter

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Here is my first attempt at a "mega platter". It is 4' 9" x 22.5" x about 2 1/4" max thickness. I was inspired by Skiff and decided to make one for a local break (Bolinas), where I could never make the section and for other wally breaks. I took it out this weekend for the first time at another spot on a small point break wave. It was a lot of fun! It paddle very well in comparison to the 4' board I have been riding. I was definitely making more sections than I had before. It was a little stiff at low speeds. But when I got up to speed, It handled well. This my first quad fin board. I hope that I didn't put the fins to close together. I lost a front fin. So the time I am going to ride it as a twin with a pair futures twinser that I have. Maybe that will loosen it up. I already have plans to make another slightly narrower and shorter with some foil modifications.
Attachments
IMG_20170303_110630182_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170303_110652504_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170303_110515839_HDR.jpg
Pes78
Big Wave Charger
City: San Diego
State or Province: CALIFORNIA

Re: New Mega Platter

Unread post by Pes78 »

Looks real good James. You could also try the controller fins since they are a split keel fin from futures. To me maybe the fins look close but maybe by a 1/2".

https://futuresfins.com/fins/controller-quad.html
nomastomas
Big Wave Charger
City: Ojai
Interests: Surfing, cycling and fishing

Unread post by nomastomas »

It looks to me like the distance between the fins, stringer-to-rail is about 1" which is good. The the distance between front fin trailing edge and rear fin leading edge may be a little short, especially if you go to larger fins.

Here's a couple of "rules of thumb" about setting quads.
-Position of trailing edge of rear fin is 1/2 the distance of the front fins trailing edge. So, if the front fin is set at 11.5" from the tail, the rear fin should be set at 5.75" from the tail. (setting a rear fin with a 4.5" base length would result in a 1.25" space between rear fin leading edge and front fin trailing edge)
-Position of the trailing edge of the front fin is 1.25" off the rail.
-Position of the rear fin trailing edge varies from 2" off the rail to halfway between stringer and rail.
-Fin toe-in is generally 1/4" tow for front fin and 1/8" toe for the rear. ("Less toe, more go"). I mark mine at 3/16" and 1/16" to favor speed and hope glasser will hit my marks.
-Front fin uses asymmetrically-foiled fin (flat one side, curved on the other)
-The foil of the rear fin can be varied, going from asymmetric when close to rail, and progressively more "dual-foiled" eg 80/20, 60/40 or full symmetrical as the fin is moved in towards the stringer.

Sometimes it easiest to view quads as surfing more like a twin-fin (when both fins are close to the rail) or more like a tri-fin (when rear fin is closer to stringer). In the first two photos below, the fins are set 1.25" off rail (Front) and 2" off rail (rear). Both fins are asymmetrically-foiled and give a quicker/looser feel. In the bottom photo, I set the rear fins halfway between rail and centerline (no stringer!) and use 80/20 foiled fins for a more predictable and smoother ride.
Attachments
TBG4x_bot1.JPG
TBG4x_bot1.JPG (54.31 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
IMG_2402.JPG
TB52Manta_Bot6.JPG
TB52Manta_Bot6.JPG (94.16 KiB) Viewed 5502 times
"This is a paipo site...isn't it?"
www.tp4surf.com
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

It will be interesting to hear how it rides as a twin.

Regarding Nomotomas's bottom photo (the grey board) - the attached photo is of my latest board, which is possibly a finless quad equivalent.
Attachments
MM6-Bottom.jpg
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

bob, thats sick! hows it work?
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I got to ride my Maxi Paipo on some better waves last weekend. I had a blast! I rode it both with quad fins and as a twin. I also put my new Cove pad on it. I now see why Skiff likes bigger boards. It definitely has much better down the line speed and the ability to get past sections better. I am able to catch waves much easier. One thing I like is that I could do foam take offs and get out of the foam. On my other boards I usually gets stuck in the foam. It also nice to have something that you can really paddle. However, I don't know, if it will be doable in a real beach break, where you have to duck dive alot and the waves are steeper. But I didn't design it for that. I am still going to try it though. I like it with the twin fins better. The twins are further forward and pivot easier, but still hold well. I am going to make a more performance version with thinner nose and tail and a little more rocker.
Attachments
IMG_20170318_100013829_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170318_100007230_HDR.jpg
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Tim,

I'll start a new thread, possibly on the week-end and include my thoughts on a couple of my boards and what I reckon they are best at and not so good at.

Bob
soulglider
Big Wave Charger
City: sd
State or Province: ca

Unread post by soulglider »

Cool bob, look forward to it
deathbedpaipo.blogspot.com
flojo
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura County
State or Province: california
Interests: bike riding, surfing, music

Unread post by flojo »

Hey JBW, board looks good. I am curious about the longer length and its benefits. I live in Pacifica and most of our surfable waves are frequently mushy with sections.
I have a 45 " tb3 which I really like but I frequently find myself caught up in the whitewater and unable to drive thru it even though the clean face is not very far away.

I have been thinking that a longer board with a little more volume may make the mushburgers more makeable. Do you use swim fins with your new board or do you arm paddle?

I am sure the paddle out thur whitewater may be a little more bouncy but I may be willing to put up with that if I could make more waves.

any input would be appreciated.

flojo
flojo
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by flojo »

Hey JBW, after re-reading your initial post, I see that you already answered most of my questions, so I guess my question is do the benefits outweigh the difficulty of paddling out thru a beach break?. I can see a point break with a clear channel would be no problem but that is not the normal environment around here.

All of those things you talked about in the original post, earlier takeoff, driving thru whitewater etc are really appealing to me. which do you think it most
important to achieve this-volume or length?

anyway, I am interested in your experiments.

thanks,
flojo
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Flojo, With this board I was focusing mostly more extension out of turns and down the line speed to get past sections. But I was hoping earlier take offs and foam take offs as well. I am a slow kicker. So anything into a wave the better (My dream). It did achieve both of those things. It is mostly intended for point or reef breaks or other places with easy paddle outs. But I am am going to try it out at Ocean beach. Maybe the easier paddling will get me out faster during the lulls. We will see. It has a pretty flat rocker. So I am a little leery of taking a steep drop on it. The longer board is a whole new dimension. I wasn't expecting it to be as fun.

I also want to try it out at Pacifica.
flojo
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by flojo »

let me know if you come down here--if I am free, I will meet you.....