Interesting Rash Guard

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Interesting Rash Guard

Unread post by jbw4600 »

This looks interesting.http://www.sportguard.net/ribguard-products/. Might be good for rough waves and big drops!!!
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Interesting Rash Guard

Unread post by rodndtube »

That is exactly what the doctor ordered about 3 days ago as I took a vicious pounding onto my board on my right side during the drop on an 8 foot wave down in Costa Rica. This poor boy is still rather tender on the right side, part of the back and tummy rib cage areas. Have been out a couple of times since after dosing with Advil, but not all other functions are as easy!

Terry "Moses" Newcomb and I have had some nice wave but the Papagayo winds have been really tearing up things the past couple of days.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Lucky bum. The water has been about 48 degrees here lately. Some good surf last week.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

The paddle out yesterday afternoon was a study in contrasts due to the Papagayo's upwelling winds... air in the low- to mid-90s and water that I guessed was in the mid-60s. Most of the visit has had water in the low- to mid-70s is my guess. Hard to tell when the air is so warm.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

Unread post by ClanB »

Been 50-53 here and my wesiut is a Sports Chalet Bodyglove special at $80 new. Friend gave it to me as my old wetsuits dont fit anymore. Seams leak like crazy. Stiff as heck. I cant wait for the spring, full suit sales.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Has anyone tried the rib guards yet? My ribs are really bothering me today after dropping in and riding some big rough waves at Ocean Beach in San Francisco yesterday.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Yes! I have been wearing my new "rib guard" everyday here in Costa Rica since last Thursday. It has made a difference. I have come a long way in healing since my accident here in March and the rib guard has been doing the job in providing compression and protection. I didn't purchase the one shown in the link above - very costly and am very reluctant to wear something like that without trying it on given my experience with different fitting rash guards and wetsuits, especially at $90 a pop.

After doing some research on-line and going to a couple of local sporting goods stores and mostly looking at lacrosse rib guards the one found at an area lacrosse store, LAX World, looked right and fit well on dry land. It is called the Gladiator. Looks like the formal brand name is "STX Gladiator Rib Pads" (see http://talacrosse.com/stx-gladiator-rib-pads).
STX%20Gladiator%20Rib%20Pads-500x500[1].jpg
STX%20Gladiator%20Rib%20Pads-500x500[1].jpg (118 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
The fit in the water is snug under my rash guard, no limits on mobility, no feeling of bulk and it sheds water very well and dries out easily. It seems to be slightly buoyant but has not been a factor in duck diving. I paid $30 -- money well spent.

P.S. Yes, Uncle Grumpy, I am out gallivanting again ;)
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.