Zeagle Travel Fins

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Zeagle Travel Fins

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I tried out these Zeagle travel fins yesterday. http://www.zeagle.com/showproduct/9/EZ-Travel-Finz/ I have high arches with bumps on the top and wide feet so I even have trouble my Force Fins Proforce fins. I thought these might be a good option. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. They felt ok but they had no power. I had trouble paddling out and getting into waves (5-6ft). So I am going to stick with my Proforce fins. I can still surf 3 hours or so without them getting too uncomfortable. For paipo boarding etc I would only use the Proforce or the Tandelta model. The Ripforce and the Standard don't have enough power.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Zeagle Travel Fins

Unread post by rodndtube »

Thanks for the feedback. Suitable cold water fins are an on-going quest for me! I am going to be on the edge at the Paipo Gathering in San Simeon next month as I am bringing my Vipers Orange Dots... hoping the water isn't too damn cold which means 3mm wet socks will be all I need. It may be a different (cold) story up in NorCal where I will be visiting an old schoolmate from Puerto Rico.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I think 3mm booties will be fine especially if you are wearing good wetsuit. The last couple of winters I have surfed up here no booties because fins didn't well with them on. Now i have made some modifications and I can use 2mm booties. Unless there some current running it shouldn't be too cold.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

I've spoken to a few guys who use divefins. Never tried them myself. Good to hear feedback. I'll now wait to hear someone now say they are the greatest ever.
Uncle Grumpy
Big Wave Charger
City: San Clemente
State or Province: California
Interests: Surfing, Surfboards, Surf History, Fishing, Boats, Dogs, Books

Unread post by Uncle Grumpy »

The Voit UDT's that I use are technically dive fins but I don't know any divers who use them anymore...... :?
Paipo surfer in repose,
Nose on the nose,
No grunting he-man pose.
See how fast he goes!
What is it he knows?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

bgreen wrote:I've spoken to a few guys who use divefins. Never tried them myself. Good to hear feedback. I'll now wait to hear someone now say they are the greatest ever.
Larry Goddard uses dive fins and swears by them. As I was about to depart from a visit with him last year, looking at his boards, visiting a surf shop that had one of Harry's boards stashed away in th attic and hanging out down at the Wall, I asked him, "Oh by the way, what kind of swim fins do you use?" He smiled excitedly, led me to his back room where his surfing gear is stowed and pulled them out. Wish I had taken a picture of those. They would be a good addition to his Paipo Interview.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
PhillyViking
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by PhillyViking »

I have had good experience with force fin pros .. I use the comfort pad insert when its warm and remove it when using boots in colder conditions. That way one set of fins is good for warm and cold. I do not need socks in the warm conditions and do not get blisters. I used to get cramps and blisters with Churchills but can go 3 hours with forcefins without any problems. I also use the forcefins in the pool (3/week, 1/2-1 mile per session) for conditioning.

I wonder if you actually need a size larger to accommodate your width / high arch and perhaps cut outs in the comfort pad for special problem spots?
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Hi,

I had Bob make cut outs on my Pro Force fins and I use comfort pads with cutouts. I can surf for 3 hours. But they still bother somewhat. I thought the Zeagles might be even more comfortable, but they had no power. When these Pro Forces wear out I am thinking about getting the Tan Delta fins. They are the same shape as the Pro Force but have more snap. They are expensive though. Bob said they might lower the price, but I haven't seen that yet.