swim fins - DaFin

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.

Re: swim fins

Unread postby ClanB » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:04 am

Used them today. Comfort is the best of any fin I have used. Stiff, seems like long slower kicks work best, I was hopeing for better burst speed but still cool. Thay have about the same power as my Vipers. Did not cramp up for several hours. Easy to walk in and out of the water. Bottom line= I realy like them. I would recommend them to a friend. ;)
ClanB
Big Wave Charger

City: Ventura
State or Province: CA

Unread postby ClanB » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:02 pm

Second time out. Very compfy, nice power, close to my Vipers. The best fins I have used so far.Very happy with them. I think I will get Kicks too.
ClanB
Big Wave Charger

City: Ventura
State or Province: CA

Unread postby rodndtube » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Thanks for the information reports on the DaFins, ClanB. I will be checking these out.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland

Re: swim fins - DaFin

Unread postby mrmike » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:09 am

kicks are a little more flexey higher kick speed
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread postby RNT808 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:41 pm

I’ve always had problems finding fins that didn’t double as implements of torture. My feet aren’t really that big at size 13 but they are real wide (EEEE+) and have freakishly high arches. My poor dogs have been squeezed into cramp hell and rubbed raw to the point of bleeding by just about every pair of fins I’ve ever had.

But then I bought a pair of XXL Da Fin “Big Bu” model fins and it changed my life. They’re a little loose on my bare feet but worn over a pair of fin socks they’re absolutely the best I’ve ever had. I can stay out for hours now and I love it. Needless to say I’m a huge fan of Da Fin!
RNT808
Tube master

City: Makawao
State or Province: Hawaii

Unread postby mrmike » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:32 am

everybody foot is not the same just like buying shoes
try to let you try them before you buy them or have a good return policy if you don't like them
mrmike
Big Wave Charger

City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread postby krusher74 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:54 am

Any longevity reviews on the dafins.

When i got mine (mail order) I was very unhappy with the width of the heal strap, I hardly used the fin maybe 10 times (left them at a friend in california) upon return the next year I was surfing up in santa cruz and camping at a site south of town, so I had an adventure idea of gettin a buddy to drop me in town and i would surf the points back to the site (about 4 miles)

so he drops me off I head down to the beach sit on the sand pull on my fins and snap! snap! both heal straps gone looked really dry rotted. I had to walk a ile into town in y wesuit board under arm and leave my gopro at a store as payment (till i returned the next day) fo a new pair of cheap fins (all they had) to get be back in the water and surfing back to my camp site.

so check your heal straps for dry rot. :?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

City: swansea
State or Province: wales

Unread postby rodndtube » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Fin walking and not rinsing them off with fresh water are sure fin destroyers. I have walked in my Vipers V5 Orange Dots (flexi blade) a bit too much and the one fin finally cracked along the outer ridge. That fin is down way too flexible... even for me. The other fin is borderline so I will keep my eye open for a cheapo/free Orange Dot size L.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland

Unread postby bgreen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:24 pm

Applying minimal amounts of silicon was recommended to me as a way to preserve fins. haven't tried it as yet as I need to get to a camera store to buy it.

Bob
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread postby Nels » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:31 pm

Applying minimal amounts of silicon was recommended to me as a way to preserve fins. haven't tried it as yet as I need to get to a camera store to buy it.

Bob - Try hardware or DIY stores. I think what they are talking about is silicone spray- basically a lubricant, but my bottle says for sports equipment it is used as a protective medium.

I was given the same advice at a dive shop when I got my first pair of full-foot Cressi Rhondine (sp?) fins decades ago. It works. That said though, it is a lubricant, so use sparingly. When I get off the couch and try to do things right I spray a bit on a paper towel and wipe it on. I'm a lazy sack though so I seldom keep up on this one. Can't remember if it makes sand stick to the fins or not when you're out of the water, but then you'd be out of the water anyway.

Saw an online interview with Spyder Wills...he said he'd had the same pair of Duck Feet going back to the 60's I think it was. Said the sun was the enemy, always buried his fins in the sand while on the beach.

Nels
Nels
Big Wave Charger

City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

PreviousNext

Return to Swim Fins, Skegs & Other Paipo Gear