swim fins - DaFin

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.

Re: swim fins - DaFin

Unread postby Nels » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:09 pm

Update on silicone spray: I keep my Duck Feet in my truck most of the time, in the back under a camper shell/canopy. Out of direct sunlight but subject to heat and cold. We've had weeks of warm and extremely low humidity (5-10%) weather. Ducks are maybe 3-4 years old. They were recently used but I had rinsed them off well and they were dry. I took a couple of photos and then applied silicone spray to one of them, playing with direct spray and also spraying a rag and wiping on.

Well...they sucked the silicone spray up like a sponge takes water. I'm probably a couple of years too late to try this on this pair. The silicone didn't noticeably change the color or anything. Not worth taking "after" photos. My heel straps are in fine condition because I wrapped them in neoprene when they were new.

Once I finished the second fin I remembered a product called 303 Protectant. It's expensive. An aerospace product that has migrated into general use, water based, not petroleum like a product such as Armor All. That one might be worth checking out. Once my Ducks dry out or seem like they need attention again I'll give that a go. Amazon sells 303 and you can save some money there plus read the reviews.

Nels
Nels
Big Wave Charger

City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread postby rodndtube » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:05 pm

Switched over to the pair of DaFins that I brought with me to PR. The Yellow Dot V5 pair were just too damn tight and cramping for some reason. Found that I did not have an extra pair of Orange Dots which I would have brought. So happy the DaFins came with me. The kick transition only took about 5 minutes so feel comfortable enough to take them out in the challenging surf situations (I am like that in new situations/conditions).
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland

Unread postby bgreen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:57 am

Nels,

I got a small tube of gel from a dive shop. Aquanuts brand.

yet to test it.

Bob
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread postby matt23 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:35 am

This might be handy is anyone in the UK needs some

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351362
matt23
Big Wave Charger

City: Rumansville
State or Province: Norfolk

Unread postby matt23 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:39 am

Sorry didnt check that,the links broken. Ive found some 303 on ebay and its just been delivered, I got the 59ml spray as my winter fins have never seen the sun :D
matt23
Big Wave Charger

City: Rumansville
State or Province: Norfolk

Unread postby krusher74 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:09 pm

Well I won a pair of these in a comp and not liking then or having much confidence in then I gave them to a friend as he needed new fins.

He does not surf much so i thought they might last, after about 1 surfs in 6 months, the back strap snapped again. :shock:

They have not been left in the sun (no sun in wales) abused or walked in, They have the thinnest worst heel straps of any fins i have used in 22 years!!

only other fins i have ever broke have been abused from being walked in across rocky reefs. but took years to break.

don't life guards use these?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

City: swansea
State or Province: wales

Unread postby rodndtube » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:21 pm

I have been using my pair for two years... they have been exposed to cold and hot temps but I have not stretched out the heal straps much. Am always careful with that. I do use 1 to 2 mm fin socks but the foot pocket is plenty large so my feet slip in easily.

krusher74 wrote:Well I won a pair of these in a comp and not liking then or having much confidence in then I gave them to a friend as he needed new fins.

He does not surf much so i thought they might last, after about 1 surfs in 6 months, the back strap snapped again. :shock:

They have not been left in the sun (no sun in wales) abused or walked in, They have the thinnest worst heel straps of any fins i have used in 22 years!!

only other fins i have ever broke have been abused from being walked in across rocky reefs. but took years to break.

don't life guards use these?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby krusher74 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:33 am

I gave my friend every tip I could think of to make them last and they still snapped! :o
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby rodndtube » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:45 am

I saw a video of one guy wearing big booties... not surprised they snapped. Maybe a Force Fin would be better in those conditions.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Unread postby krusher74 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:37 am

rodndtube wrote:I saw a video of one guy wearing big booties... not surprised they snapped. Maybe a Force Fin would be better in those conditions.

Not heard of a force fin, is that a brand?

My friend was using these bare food and they were a good fit so no need for him to pull hard on the heel straps (and they had only been on about 10 times anyway)

I think they would be fine if that heel strap was just as big and thick as all other fins I have seen/used. I have never had a heel strap break of any of my other fins in 22years surfing.

I wonder if this happens to many other dafins? :?
krusher74
Big Wave Charger

PreviousNext

Return to Swim Fins, Skegs & Other Paipo Gear