Any Hints for Go Pro Camera on a Paipo?

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Any Hints for Go Pro Camera on a Paipo?

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Hi,
I am getting a Go Pro to take on a trip. I am wondering what the best setup is? I don't really want to get a helmut. Has anyone mounted one on the nose of the board? Is it too low to the water? I am also thinking about getting a head harness and adding a strap under the chin to hold it on. It might get a helmut if I have to. What are good helmuts?
OG-AZN
Big Wave Charger
City: Oakland
State or Province: CA

Re: Any Hints for Go Pro Camera on a Paipo?

Unread post by OG-AZN »

On a thin wood paipo, the camera is too low nose mounted. Raising it up on wood blocks helps a little. Nose mount shots look ok on a bodyboard, and it might work for your super thick foam & glass boards. The best prone footage I've seen comes from pole mounts on the tail, or a back mount harness. The pro bodyboaders are using a back mount harness in contests. I don't know if GoPro sells this (their chest mount harness worn reversed?) or if it's custom. Jarret Liu has some videos where it looks like he clamped a standard GoPro pole to the tail of his paipo. Nice video, but I don't know how secure that set up is. Otherwise, lots of people have made their own custom pole mounts for their boards.

edit: this guy seems to have worked it all out pretty well. His latest simple diy back mount looks similar to what the pros are using.
http://rskdiy.com/page/2

some mat vids where the guy reversed the Gopro chest harness & a recent pro bodyboarding vid w/ some back mount views :
http://vimeo.com/40776582
http://vimeo.com/60114727
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX-Kuuyl ... r_embedded
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I tried a nose mount and the problem is if you aim the cam straight when your surfing you actually point the board to the flats a lot, i have been in 6ft barrels and it looks like i'm on a 2ft wave heading for the beach.

pole mounts are only good for going one way, so need to be at left or right and have pole set up for that direction.

Best I have seen is the use of a chest mount used backward on the small of the back.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger
City: Brisbane
State or Province: Qld

Unread post by bgreen »

Anyone have more updated advice on this topic? The backpack idea looked to have the disadvantage of lots of back of the head action.
Nels
Big Wave Charger
City: Camarillo
State or Province: California

Unread post by Nels »

I'd say check this link for the most concise and up-to-date GoPro surf gear for prone riders...

http://www.ebodyboarding.com/accessorie ... onics.html
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread post by mrmike »

I have a wrist cuff mount works good let you point it where you want not just a fixed point
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Thanks Mike and Nels. The wrist cuff has the advantage of being less obtrusive. I bought a Gath helmet a few years ago after a head knock but have seldom used it. I have a trip away later in the year and wanted to get some water footage and photos of my son.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Has anyone had any experience with this Gath helmet rig?

http://www.ebodyboarding.com/accessorie ... elmet.html
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Mike,

This issue was raised with me regarding the wrist mount: "The shots would require you to lift both hands one to aim the other to press shutter". Has been this a problem.

SJB - John Galera swears by the helmet mount.

Bob
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Thanks Bob. That is a meaningful endorsement. I am going to give it a try.
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Mike,

Is this the same as your set-up? Looks like the lens doesn't point forward, but 90 degrees to your wrist.
Wrist.jpg
Wrist.jpg (36.08 KiB) Viewed 15452 times
Bob
mrmike
Big Wave Charger
City: coronado
State or Province: ca

Unread post by mrmike »

no mine sit up on a mount that folds up down and rotates I don't think it is made by gopro it is some knockoff
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Mike,

Thanks. I found a company that would ship the one you bought to Australia, but postage was almost twice the cost of the wrist mount. Given our current exchange rate - this becomes costly.

Regards

Bob
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

I attached my gopro support on the nose of my plywood board, because it is the easier way to proceed (4 screws and voila).
Once the support is attached, you can clip the cam in both directions, so you can film the wave or your face.
It does the job, but I feel like on the video, the waves seem a little smaller than they are in real. On the other hand, as the cam is very close to the water you get the feeling of speed.

On this video of Jarret Liu, the cam seems to be attached to a stick he handles during the ride, I like the render, the angle constantly moves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNqK_6uTqgo
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Zensuni,

Thanks. I swap boards around quite a bit so a deck mount is not a great option. I bought one of the straps Mike suggested, but the centre dial fell out before I even got into the water. I have bought a hand/glove type fitting but am waiting to get a replacement housing. Now that's a long story. I hope to be able to start experimenting with the camera soonish.

Bob
Joseph Ray
Wave slider
City: Gainesville
State or Province: VA

Unread post by Joseph Ray »

Typically helmets or chest mounts work best for the Go Pro experience. If you try attaching it to the board, it can interfere with your ride, and it is often too low of a shot. If you do not want to use a helmet, you can check out some chest harnesses (ex: http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/chesty-che ... 0-001.html). They aren't as in-the-way as they seem, and they offer great shots.

I hope this helps, and good luck!
bgreen
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by bgreen »

Joseph,

I tried a wrist mount. This is my third and most successful attempt at using a Go-Pro. This footage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeK6TfVyoE is obviously the work of a real beginner. Next time I'm going to try it on my forearm. The helmet /chest mount probably is the best option but I think I'd find these too distracting. I tried a gath helmet a couple of times, years ago and it's now just sitting under the house.

Bob
zensuni
Big Wave Charger
City: Bordeaux
State or Province: Aquitaine

Unread post by zensuni »

I used a wrist mount several times, it is nice but you need to pay attention to the direction the cam is pointing at, as it moves a lot. But it makes interesting videos especially when doing the superman stance. I just bought a mouth mont, I am looking forward to test it. the idea is to be able to grab it sometimes and to use the mouth other times.