New vipers are out.

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

New vipers are out.

Unread post by krusher74 »

airboy808
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: HI

Re: New vipers are out.

Unread post by airboy808 »

Got a set of the new vector vipers 7s all yellow. First time with vipers so no previous experience.

Did some in pool comparisons between the DaFin and the vector7s. On avg (3 tries) it took 18 kicks to get across with the DaFin and 15 kicks with the vector7s. Also felt faster with vector 7s.

Not sure on long session comfort. Plus socks on vector7s versus no socks needed with DaFin.

Going to try get a session maybe today with the vector7 pending if there is any waves.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

I see that the Vector Vipers come in three models just as the baseline Vipers: a Vector V5 Flex (all orange), Vector V5 Stiff (all yellow) and a Vector V7 Stiff (all yellow). Much to learn about these 3 new models in contrast to the older Vipers. Personally, I own and use V5 Orange Dot (Flex) and V5 Yellow Dot (Stiff).

Looking forward to user comparisons between comparable models of flex/stiff & length.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
airboy808
Big Wave Charger

Took them up with my new hpd flex paipo small. Conditions were high tide, about thigh high, some side trades.

Can feel the more thrust compared to my DaFins. I think there may be more on tap if the foot pocket fit tighter. I think I bought the wrong size at XL. I must be a small 11 so a vectors L. Went to local shop and tried on L black yellow dot vipers with a foot top pad and that fit way better than the fin socked XL vectors 7 I used yesterday.

With the additional 2.5"-3" length compared to the dafins you can feel the length when spinning around to catch a wave or twist on legs from the fin length. Dafins feel more natural in that aspect.

Listed the XL vectors 7 on CL and hopefully it sells. Going to pick up L when they come in.
spudnut
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: Ca
Interests: Surfing, Kites, Yo-yo's

Unread post by spudnut »

Not to hijack this thread, but can we see a pic and detail about the HPD flex tail that you speak of. For a year now, Paul keep s saying soon...
airboy808
Big Wave Charger

check the design section started a thread
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

I checked in on the Vektor Vipers Yellows a couple of times during this past month. First time I was at the Frog House in Costa Mesa/Newport Beach, picked up a pair of what turned out to be the comparable model of the V7 Yellow Dots (long, stiff blade), an all-yellow long-bladed fin. What struck me as unusual was the degree of flex in the blade and the stiffness of the heal strap.

A week or so later I stopped over to eBodyboarding to give the fins a closer examination (I should have taken a ruler!). The attendant confirmed my earlier suspision that the blade area was softer and flexier. I noticed that if you look down the length of the two side stiffeners that there might be a little wobble in the "straight line." These side rail stiffeners and the blade are not as stiff as the Viper V7 Yellow Dots. The heal strap did not seem as stiff as at Frog House, but it did seem stiffer than the side rails (just the opposite of the regular Vipers, Yellow Dot and Orange Dot). Then I went to try-on a pair of size Large (my usual Vipers size) of the Vektor Vipers Yellows Long with a pair of fin sox. Could not slip my foot into the fin pocket. Removed the fin sox. Still couldn't slip my feet into the foot pocket. Not even close. I was not about to pull my arm out of socket trying. Hmmm, what is going on here?

At home I picked up a pair of my Large size V5 Yellow Dots and noticed right away that the entry space between the foot pocket and ankle strap seemed larger on the original Vipers compared to the Vektors. The regular Vipers ankle strap and foot pocket also have a little more "stretch" for foot entry.

Naturally, I still wonder how the very flexi Vektor Vipers perform in the water.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Unread post by krusher74 »

I still wish the mike stewart vipers would stand up to a bit of reef rock walking, there my fav fins ever , but after busting 2 pairs (cracking cross the foot pocket) in less than 6 months, i'll have to forget they exist.

I had the old viper orange dots and was happy with them, but g-land reef also destroyed them is a couple of weeks.