Paddle Air Chest Protector

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Paddle Air Chest Protector

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I messed up my sternum and costal cartilage pretty bad this last winter and spring from multiple air and rough drops. So I decided to try out the Paddle Air advertized on Surfline.http://paddleair.com/ergo/ I got the Ergo model, which I wore on the outside of my wetsuit. The owner says you can wear them inside, but it was too tight for me in my 4/3. Anyway I have decided that I don't like them for prone surfing. It is great paddling--especially arm paddling. But when you are riding, it sometime feels like you are lying on a ballon or something. I couldn't feel the board as well either and it was too tight. I think they would great for for a standup or knee surfer. So now I am building a board and I am going to put a pad on the deck.
airboy808
Big Wave Charger
City: Honolulu
State or Province: HI

Re: Paddle Air Chest Protector

Unread post by airboy808 »

Look up Casey of Cove Pads. He does knee pads and got a set on my flexspoon. He has a smooth option and a kung fu grip option. Pad is soft but not to soft and it does not seem to tear up skin. At least on my knees and when I compare it to a regular trac pad for surfing. Those surfing trac pads can rough me up good if I need to duck dive a ton.
ClanB
Big Wave Charger
City: Ventura
State or Province: CA
Interests: surf hunt fish chili bbq paipos, nerd rpgs lol, yup music

Unread post by ClanB »

[img][IMG]http://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/z477/ClanB2011/WP_000204_result_zpsd257c93d.jpg[/img]/img]2nd the Cove pad. Have one on me kneeboard..best pad ever..perfect thickness for comfort and grip. Get the kunfu grip or other style(diamond) grip...the regular pad can sometimes slip if water gets between you and the board..the kungfu has small channels that direct water like a rain tread tire. Even if you get the standard like I did it is still a rally great pad...and cheap for what you get.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

After banging myself up rather badly in March 2012, I looked around for affordable options. Ended up buying a rib protector made for lacrosse players. It worked the charm for my Costa Rica trip 3 months later and since then. I wear it whenever conditions look to be a bit bouncy -- have not used it with a wetsuit thus far -- just under a rash guard. Makes a huge difference. I would be inclined to use a rash guard over the rib protector if wearing a light wetsuit.

It looks something like the one shown in the pic below. Actually, I posted about it last year:
http://mypaipoboards.org/forum3/viewtop ... f=11&t=161
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.