Fins I Have Used

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Fins I Have Used

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Here are all the fins (minus 1) I have used on my Fiberglass 51" twin and my 51" wood board. I have settled on the two white fins. They work perfectly. The bigger (19 square inches +) ones work good and turn well, but the white ones (16.5 and 15.75") turn but still hold well. The small one 14.2" was too small. I couldn't feel any hold. I like the white ones also because the cost only $40.00 and have flex. All are Futures. I hope this helps someone.
Attachments
IMG_2069.JPG
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Fins I Have Used

Unread post by rodndtube »

Thanks for sharing, jbw. How tall are those fins?
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Re: Fins I Have Used

Unread post by jbw4600 »

The first are true twin fins. The others are side fins for thrusters or quads. The first is T2 5.13 h 4.81 base, the next Aipa 5.4 h 4.83 base. I don't know the measurements of the third. The third Haden shapes 4.67 h 4.57 base. The last Rasta Quad 4.44h 4.31 base.

I surfed the first two for long time and they worked great. I had no problem turning, but sometimes it felt they were difficult to release. The Rasta fins were too small. I could feel them slipping sometimes and very little drive. The bigger white ones are perfect for my glass 51 x 22" board. Plenty of drive and little looser and more release. I have only used the Haden shapes on my wood board. And the work great also.