DaFins and Vipers V5 - Some Observations

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

DaFins and Vipers V5 - Some Observations

Unread post by rodndtube »

DaFins: Wide foot pocket, more power for catching a wave, more drag when extending legs to conform to wave. The DaFins blades tend to be depressed by the wave causing drag--this is not a factor on a open-faced, more powerful wave. Lighter weight than Vipers V5.

Vipers V5 Yellow Dot: Narrow foot pocket, better cruise kicking for longer paddles, captures energy from the wave when extending legs to conform to the wave. The Vipers remain neutral to the wave and capture the wave's energy--this is beneficial when in a flat section of the wave or when the planning surface benefits from being elongated.

Both float.
Attachments
Viper-DaFin_compositephoto[1].jpg
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
krusher74
Big Wave Charger
City: easkey
State or Province: co sligo
Interests: Surfing, vintage cars and motorbikes

Re: DaFins and Vipers V5 - Some Observations

Unread post by krusher74 »

The Dafins are the only fins I have experienced with such a rigid blade, i had the rounded tip kicks and never liked them,then they perished and snapped across the heal straps in less that 10 surfs!!! :o

I have had the vipers in softer orange dot which i liked but how now also broken from reef walking.

Viper now have the MS version, and just out the delta fins check them out.

MS vipers orange dot are my fav fin in 21 years in the water, lighter than normal vipers,more power,less leg fatigue, and the only fin i have felt give real extra control on a wave.

new deltas top pic, I personally dont like asymmetric fins i feel they twist my feet as i kick.

The tips of the vipers are not hard like the dafins
Attachments
delta.jpg
delta.jpg (138.65 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
ms viper.jpg
ms viper.jpg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 2203 times