Board bags for air travel

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Board bags for air travel

Unread post by SJB »

I have a 50 inch Austin and a 43 inch TBG2.
In a perfect world I would like to:
1. Check them both on an airplane.
2. In one bag for convenience and cost.
3. Sufficiently protected so that when baggage handlers jump up and down on the bag the boards will suffer minimal pressure dings.
Seems there are dual surfboard travel bags....any dual body board bags out there that would accommodate the Austin 50 inch length?
All suggestions welcome.
Thanks
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Re: Board bags for air travel

Unread post by jbw4600 »

Only at Midnight makes custom made board bags. They made me one and it has worked well. Contact them. http://midnightproducts.net/
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Unread post by rodndtube »

Midnight is very good in making custom boards. A friend of mine has packed his Austin baseline board (50 x 20.5 x 2.5) and his Romanosky paipo (slightly larger) into one of the Midnight custom bags. Buy one of the suitcase shaped ones for more flexible travel arrangements. Also plenty of room to pack some surf gear, towels, clothes depending upon your needs and airline baggage rules (weight becomes a factor).

More info here on some bags, how to pack and features you might want:
http://mypaipoboards.org/PaipoBoardBags.shtml

Remember to always check the dimensions (length, width and depth, plus nose and tail widths) and padding of any board bag before buying it, especially for on-line purchases as models can vary from year-to-year and the seller may not know the "model." Wrap-around zippers where you can completely open the board bag into two halves are much easier for packing up your board. Always make sure your board has a snug fit because sliding around makes it prone to rail damage.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

Thanks JBW and Rod....have reached Out to both Midnight and Airwave. Both quick with response. Will advise outcome.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Not sure if AirWave is making a board bag with padded side panels -- highly recommended especially if you are traveling with two boards, as well as wrap-around zippers for full bag access -- makes disciplined packing easier. Internal tightening straps as well.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
jbw4600
Big Wave Charger
City: Kentfield
State or Province: CA

Unread post by jbw4600 »

I forgot one thing about the bags. The only problem I had was that they put the attachment for the shoulder straps too high. So that when wearing/carrying it backpack style the bottom of the board hits me in the back of the legs when walking. So I would ask them to put put the straps a little lower.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

If you are planning on shoulder straps for a travel bag I recommend having an external zip up compartment for the straps. Otherwise, they tend to get mangled in the baggage handling.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

Quote from Midnight at $202 and Airwave $160. I talked to both vendors and got a better bedside manner from Mark at Airwave. That plus the price differential and Airwave it was.
Received the bag. Well padded all the way around.....coffin style......handle plus detachable shoulder strap. Separation pad for between boards. Compression straps. Well made and I am very pleased.
I can fit both my Austin and TBG2 (in their respective day bags) into the coffin for a nice snug fit and what appears to be excellent board protection.
Rod....Mark suggested minimal room for additional surf gear....I.e. fins and such.....as he feels including hard gear increases the possibility for compression dings from within.
Right now I do not have a surf trip on tap until May....at which time I will report back on the travel experience and how matters held up.
In the meantime....two thumbs up for Mark at Airwave for both a quality product and assistance in making decisions on the design/finish.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Please post some pics of the board bag... very interested in seeing their coffin-style model. The craftsmanship in the past was always good but the style had been mostly focused on skim/HPD style boards. Pics of side, bottom, top and completely open would be welcome.

I agree that "hard" surf gear should be minimized, i.e., fins, wax and other hard objects. Nothing wrong with soft gear such as towels, baggies, rash guards, wetsuits. Just not too heavy or one can pay those "airline taxes." Compression straps are a big deal in my opinion to keep the boards tight and snug and alleviate slippage dings.

Where are you surf tripping to in May?

P.S. Jim, our host in PR this week, says you know his brother, a kneeboarder. Greetings!
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

Good point about soft gear....my day bags are also padded so already pretty snug fit. I wear a wet suit year round here in CAL so my mission is to travel to places that do not require same. Going to "Cardon" North of Mazatlan. Only eight rooms but most of us frugal guys double up so can be 16 max but we all know one another so mellow. Remote location with a couple of nice left points so crowd is not a problem....at least you know the guy you are snaking. :+)
Photos....man you are talking to a 68 year old techno dummy. I am using an IPad and I know how to take photos. But how do I get them from here onto the forum?
I know you like Turtle Bay. I love Oahu. Four shores all within an hour drive. Can't beat that. Do you need to wear a wet suit in PR? I visited and enjoyed San Juan once but did not venture much beyond. Perhaps someday. Having said that....the wife only gives me limited travel passes and she typically does not relish joining on surf trips.
P.S. What is Jim's brothers name? I chat with a couple of different kneelos in the line up from time to time. Both nice guys. Typically see them out at Little Rincon.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Soft stuff like towels (you can never have to much travel board padding!), rash guards, fin socks and such. Some of my travel destinations don't have much in surf shops much less any gear I would need so I generally travel with extra swim fins, etc., so I not left high and dry.

Photos you can email to me and I can post them to this thread and maybe a couple on the travel bag page. Send the photos to: paipodude@mypaipoboards.org You should be able to email them directly from your iPad.

I will have to check on Jim's brother's name. He mentioned to Jim that he knows you and used with your regular name with I then translated from your initials! He is originally from the Bay Area up north.

Turtle Bay works well when sharing a condo with others although I usually end up limiting most of my time to the north shore side and not venturing to the west, east or south coasts. It is nice to visit now and then but a place in Costa Rica has really become my favorite go-to destination. My soul is sitll in Puerto Rico where I grew up but it is really becoming more crowded... will see how this trip holds up (if we get some surf... this January is already shaping up to be worse than last Jan, boo!). The water and air here is warmer than Hawaii... water in Dec/Jan/Feb bottoms out at around 75-76F compared to Oahu's 70F.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Jim's brother is Russell. Lives in Ojai.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

I will definitely be calling out Russell to kneeboarders until I make a positive ID.
I have met a Russell from Ojai in the line up but I have only known him to stand up surf. Has a British accent. Hmmm?
Rod....I emailed a couple of photos to you an hour ago....got the whoosh sound.....but I don't see them in my Sent box. Did they reach you?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

SJB's new Airwave board bag.
Attachments
SJB_Airwave-Open_w1000.jpg
SJB_AirwaveHanging_w1000.jpg
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger

Unread post by SJB »

Well....the photo in the driveway with my boards shows the bag fully unzipped/ opened with interior up. There are no walls around the edges like a suitcase if that is what you were expecting? The padding is throughout so when the boards (in their respective day bags) are in the case it zips into a solidly protected cocoon.
If I were to do it over I might see if Airwave could add suitcase type walls to pack more soft stuff? Perhaps Midnight does this accounting for $40 differential? Hmmm.
As it stands now it feels a nice weight when loaded and easily handled with the shoulder strap. Don't have a scale to weigh but nicely manageable and will be easy to check. Then with my trusty back pack and small roller suitcase I will have all other gear and necessities to carry on the plane. :D