Board bags for air travel

A forum for discussing paipo board gear such as swim fins, leashes, skegs (board fins) and other related wave riding gear.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger
City: Arbutus Land
State or Province: Maryland
Interests: Waveriding, travel and the Paipo Research Project

Re: Board bags for air travel

Unread post by rodndtube »

Soft stuff like towels (you can never have to much travel board padding!), rash guards, fin socks and such. Some of my travel destinations don't have much in surf shops much less any gear I would need so I generally travel with extra swim fins, etc., so I not left high and dry.

Photos you can email to me and I can post them to this thread and maybe a couple on the travel bag page. Send the photos to: paipodude@mypaipoboards.org You should be able to email them directly from your iPad.

I will have to check on Jim's brother's name. He mentioned to Jim that he knows you and used with your regular name with I then translated from your initials! He is originally from the Bay Area up north.

Turtle Bay works well when sharing a condo with others although I usually end up limiting most of my time to the north shore side and not venturing to the west, east or south coasts. It is nice to visit now and then but a place in Costa Rica has really become my favorite go-to destination. My soul is sitll in Puerto Rico where I grew up but it is really becoming more crowded... will see how this trip holds up (if we get some surf... this January is already shaping up to be worse than last Jan, boo!). The water and air here is warmer than Hawaii... water in Dec/Jan/Feb bottoms out at around 75-76F compared to Oahu's 70F.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

"The sea doth wash away all human ills."
-- Euripides.
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

Jim's brother is Russell. Lives in Ojai.
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

I will definitely be calling out Russell to kneeboarders until I make a positive ID.
I have met a Russell from Ojai in the line up but I have only known him to stand up surf. Has a British accent. Hmmm?
Rod....I emailed a couple of photos to you an hour ago....got the whoosh sound.....but I don't see them in my Sent box. Did they reach you?
rodndtube
Big Wave Charger

SJB's new Airwave board bag.
Attachments
SJB_Airwave-Open_w1000.jpg
SJB_AirwaveHanging_w1000.jpg
rodNDtube
"Prone to ride"
I love my papa li`ili`i

-- Euripides.
SJB
Big Wave Charger
City: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CAL

Unread post by SJB »

Well....the photo in the driveway with my boards shows the bag fully unzipped/ opened with interior up. There are no walls around the edges like a suitcase if that is what you were expecting? The padding is throughout so when the boards (in their respective day bags) are in the case it zips into a solidly protected cocoon.
If I were to do it over I might see if Airwave could add suitcase type walls to pack more soft stuff? Perhaps Midnight does this accounting for $40 differential? Hmmm.
As it stands now it feels a nice weight when loaded and easily handled with the shoulder strap. Don't have a scale to weigh but nicely manageable and will be easy to check. Then with my trusty back pack and small roller suitcase I will have all other gear and necessities to carry on the plane. :D